Your pick for the best Player that never was

GoClones123

Sep 5, 2010
Clive, IA
I've been watching a lot of old ISU football games and saw some good players through the years that were victims of injuries, stupidity, and some from playing on a crappy team. I remember a safety who was a real hard hitter Deondre Jackson who I believe broke his leg tackling Adrian Peterson in the end zone. I always thought he had a real opportunity to be big.

What player would you submit that had the most opportunity to be a star but fell short due to other things listed above?

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Running back we had during the Chiz era. Name escapes me, but was a highly tired recruit that didn't play here long

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
I'm gonna say Shontrelle. He had a good career here, but his injuries and a poor OC kept him from ever reaching his true potential.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
I've been watching a lot of old ISU football games and saw some good players through the years that were victims of injuries, stupidity, and some from playing on a crappy team. I remember a safety who was a real hard hitter Deondre Jackson who I believe broke his leg tackling Adrian Peterson in the end zone. I always thought he had a real opportunity to be big.

What player would you submit that had the most opportunity to be a star but fell short due to other things listed above?

Jackson was definitely one of them, and his knee was torn up on a kickoff return.

Last edited:

Jambalaya

May 29, 2008
Steve Lester, who was eventually ruled ineligible during Walden's tenure, which really doomed Walden's faith in the university.

Lester was a playa

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO

Deandre made the tackle that broke AP's collarbone, he himself was unharmed on the play.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Deandre made the tackle that broke AP's collarbone, he himself was unharmed on the play.

DeAndre was injured on a KR in the 2nd quarter.

Peterson's injury came midway through the 4th, on a touchdown run. Chris Singleton was the last defender on the play.

Singleton.jpg

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
That 4* receiver we beat Texas A&M (and his mother) out in a recruiting battle, but ended up doing absolutely nothing in his short time at Iowa State. Sedrick Johnson or something like that?