• Old way please

Votes: 10 10.2%
  • Playoff system

Votes: 52 53.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
i wouldn't be too upset if they created a playoff. It could actually be better than the BCS (shocking, i know). Im just worried if they try to change it, it could be worse, and make the regular season less meaningful. Just like in basketball, they'll start with 8 teams. Then it will be 16. That means the top teir regular season games mean very little. All a team will have to do is win their 10 games and they can be in the hunt for a title. Conference championships will have little at stake (national championship wise). OSU/Mich hype will be mitigated etc etc.

I just don't like change. I don't like fixing something that isn't broken. (I don't believe the BCS is broken, it may not be perfect, but its darn exciting as is.)

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Are you an avid fan of the NIT?

My question is, why would there be any less interest in the Gator, Outback, Alamo, etc. bowls with a playoff? With the current system, there's one national championship game and 4 BCS bowls. The Outback, Gator, Alamo, etc. have zero impact on the national title picture, but people are still interested and still watch. So why, if a playoff system was introduced, would people all of a sudden stop caring about all those other bowls? They wouldn't be any less relevant in that system than they are in the current system.

Comparing all the other bowl games outside of the BCS and national title game to the NIT makes little sense.

The Mook

Jun 26, 2008
Ankeny, IA
www.twitter.com
My question is, why would there be any less interest in the Gator, Outback, Alamo, etc. bowls with a playoff? With the current system, there's one national championship game and 4 BCS bowls. The Outback, Gator, Alamo, etc. have zero impact on the national title picture, but people are still interested and still watch. So why, if a playoff system was introduced, would people all of a sudden stop caring about all those other bowls? They wouldn't be any less relevant in that system than they are in the current system.

Comparing all the other bowl games outside of the BCS and national title game to the NIT makes little sense.

Playoffs = NCAA and other bowls = NIT makes total sense and would be REALITY

All the attention for the entire season would be on who gets in the playoff and the bowls would be an afterthought and disappointment

You would think you will like it, but it will suck to everyone outside the top 20-30 programs that would ever have a shot at getting in

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
8 team playoff. Top 8 teams selected, no matter what conference they are affiliated with.

The other bowls will still have value because they are a tradition and a lot of teams will be in a normal bowl instead of the playoff.

I think a playoff would be more hyped than the BCS bowls. But I don't think it would take way very much from the other bowls. I think it is better for college football as a whole. We need a better way of crowning a national champ.

madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
Madison, WI
Playoffs = NCAA and other bowls = NIT makes total sense and would be REALITY

All the attention for the entire season would be on who gets in the playoff and the bowls would be an afterthought and disappointment

You would think you will like it, but it will suck to everyone outside the top 20-30 programs that would ever have a shot at getting in

How would that be any different than now?

All the attention is on BCS bowls. The other bowls are there because sponsors can make money. They get talked about a little and televised because its the holiday season, nothing else is on, and ...its football.

I see no difference. If anything, you could say this country wants more football. Look at the NFL - they are looking at an 18 game season. Networks do anything they can to get football on TV (moving minor games to thursday nights) because football ratings will beat world series of poker ratings.

The Mook

Jun 26, 2008
Ankeny, IA
www.twitter.com

All the attention is on BCS bowls. The other bowls are there because sponsors can make money. They get talked about a little and televised because its the holiday season, nothing else is on, and ...its football.

I see no difference. If anything, you could say this country wants more football. Look at the NFL - they are looking at an 18 game season. Networks do anything they can to get football on TV (moving minor games to thursday nights) because football ratings will beat world series of poker ratings.

That but worse. There would be less of everything for the other bowls.

A playoff system works great in the NFL where there are 32 teams.

Division I football has 120 teams and all but the top 30 would be irrelevant.

I'm not going to convince you otherwise, but I oppose a playoff because 1) I think it would be bad for ISU, and 2) I think it would be bad for college football as I know and love it

madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
Madison, WI
That but worse. There would be less of everything for the other bowls.

A playoff system works great in the NFL where there are 32 teams.

Division I football has 120 teams and all but the top 30 would be irrelevant.

I'm not going to convince you otherwise, but I oppose a playoff because 1) I think it would be bad for ISU, and 2) I think it would be bad for college football as I know and love it

I referenced the NFL to point out the popularity of football. Not to compare playoff systems.

All but the top 30 teams (it that) are already irrelevant. 8 teams make a BCS, thats all that matters.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you

Exactly. It would be no different. With the current system all the focus throughout the season is on what handful of teams are in the national title hunt. It's not as if there's a burning discussion midway through the season about who's going to get a bid to the Outback Bowl and all of a sudden, with a playoff, we're going to be denied that discussion.

All the other bowls will be just as popular as they've always been. If you think that, since there's an 8-team playoff, fewer people are going to want to watch the Gator Bowl... I guess you can think that, but it doesn't seem very realistic.

The Mook

Jun 26, 2008
Ankeny, IA
www.twitter.com
If the people in charge of this (with all the actual information) thought that the bowl system AND a playoff could work (and would be best for all 120 schools in the FBS) then they would do it.

DMjazz

Apr 14, 2006
Des Moines
If the people in charge of this (with all the actual information) thought that the bowl system AND a playoff could work (and would be best for all 120 schools in the FBS) then they would do it.

One big problem is the polls come out before the season even begins. Pre-season polls currently have the ability to manipulate who plays in the title game. Season results alone should do that. When there are more than 2 undefeated teams, or no undefeated teams, the polls decide who gets to play for the title. This shouldn't happen.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
I really don't want non-BCS schools to have a shot at a national championship. They're still the caliber of school that we would recruit against, like TCU for example. Don't give them more traction.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Pre-season polls currently have the ability to manipulate who plays in the title game.

This is one of my core problems with the BCS — not necessarily the BCS as a way to determine a "champion," but the "how" seems so elusive (and it gets tweaked constantly each time a loophole plays out in a particular season, instead of having potential scenarios explored before it was put in place).

I admit the system does make regular season games more do-or-die for teams in the running, but the problem is, which teams are "in the running"?

Cydwinder

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 9, 2010
London, UK
My main problem with a playoff system, regardless of size, is that the first team left out will always complain. If it's a 4 team playoff, the 5th team will say they deserved to be in it.

DMjazz

Apr 14, 2006
Des Moines
My main problem with a playoff system, regardless of size, is that the first team left out will always complain. If it's a 4 team playoff, the 5th team will say they deserved to be in it.

True, but that already happens in March and it doesn't stop everyone from loving the NCAA tournament. Good bubble teams get shut out of the NCAA tournament every year, yet at the end of the tournament nobody says, "Gee, if only (insert bubble team here) had made the tourney. Then things would have been different".

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
a playoff would be the worst thing ever for ISU

This isn't specifically a response to your post, because others posted similar thoughts. I thought I would tack it on somewhere.

ISU has so far not been a factor in high-level bowl games, pre-BCS or post-BCS, and a playoff wouldn't change much of anything.

If ISU was consistently getting lucrative bowl spots that were just short of BCS territory, I think I could see the hesitation.

DMjazz

Apr 14, 2006
Des Moines
This isn't specifically a response to your post, because others posted similar thoughts. I thought I would tack it on somewhere.

ISU has so far not been a factor in high-level bowl games, pre-BCS or post-BCS, and a playoff wouldn't change much of anything.

If ISU was consistently getting lucrative bowl spots that were just short of BCS territory, I think I could see the hesitation.

I agree and I don't think Iowa would be in the supposed playoffs very often either. I just want to see a system that is more fair and appropriate for the sport.

Help Support Us

Become a patron