XII Tourney Tickets

acrozier22

Mar 17, 2006
Southeast Iowa
If someone wants to and can donate 12.5k+ every year I'm ok with them getting a few extra tickets.

I agree. If I donated that much, I would demand an opportunity to buy tickets over someone who donates only a $1,000.

Donors are a huge part of a Big 12 program. Don't bite the hand that feeds you. Saying the high donors don't cheer loud is also not true. I know lots of donors in that level that are very loud during games.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
I agree. If I donated that much, I would demand an opportunity to buy tickets over someone who donates only a $1,000.

Donors are a huge part of a Big 12 program. Don't bite the hand that feeds you. Saying the high donors don't cheer loud is also not true. I know lots of donors in that level that are very loud during games.
I'm neutral here because I'm still a student, but they have a point. Obviously high dollar donors should get the best opportunity to get tickets to this. I don't have a problem if they can get an extra ticket or two, but it they can get 2 season tickets and then 8 tickets to the Big 12 tournament that isn't right.

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny
The value of donors jumping from 1k to 2.5k is fairly minimal. I can appreciate the rewarding loyalty aspect for those in lower donor levels but I'd point out that retaining your season tix is a pretty solid tradeoff when compared to getting b12 tourny seats. I called to ask what it'd take to get into the parquet last year for new seats and heard there were 10k plus donors in the balcony. There is a balance the AD has to meet of encouraging cyclone club donations and honoring loyalty. I think they actually hit the mark pretty well in that regard. Many schools would have reseated the whole arena based on donor level with the recent demand. The repricing the donor sections was a balanced approach as well.

In the end as others have pointed out go down to kc if you are that dedicated of a fan i guarantee you'll get seats from a fanbase who loses day 1 or 2 and you may get them cheaper and in better location than what some of the ISU donors get through the department. And if you can't find a deal you're good with scalping you'll have a great time watching in the PnL. Last year was my first trip down to the tourny and it was just as good of a time out of the game as in the sprint center.

lakeliving

Apr 11, 2006
If someone donates 12,500 to our athletic department, I am appreciative of that donation. If that means they get 8 tickets to KC, so be it. That is the way life often works. As others have mentioned, there will be lots of opportunities on the secondary market if you really want to go.

bostrem00

Feb 23, 2009
Des Moines
The best way to see the market collapse for these tickets is if Kansas or Iowa State lose early....its best to scalp as your team advances.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
The best way to see the market collapse for these tickets is if Kansas or Iowa State lose early....its best to scalp as your team advances.

How did that work the last two years? The semi-finals will be insane this year. No less than $175 a ticket just to get in the building if Oklahoma, Kansas and Iowa State are there.

egunzy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 16, 2008
Humeston, IA
How did that work the last two years? The semi-finals will be insane this year. No less than $175 a ticket just to get in the building if Oklahoma, Kansas and Iowa State are there.

Last year one of my neighbors co-workers decided he wanted to go to KC but he was not a season ticket holder at ISU. So he joined the TCU fan club at the lowest level that made him eligible to purchase one of their all session passes (around $200 from what I was told). He ended up with great seats - much better than their boss who is a big donor to ISU.

There are ways to game the system.

Reactions: Cycsk

lakeliving

Apr 11, 2006
Last year one of my neighbors co-workers decided he wanted to go to KC but he was not a season ticket holder at ISU. So he joined the TCU fan club at the lowest level that made him eligible to purchase one of their all session passes (around $200 from what I was told). He ended up with great seats - much better than their boss who is a big donor to ISU.

I agree with your idea, however the majority of the people on here that did not get tickets due to lower donation levels are not likely to spend more money donating to another school to try and access tickets.

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
Update for XII men's basketball tournament tickets.

The demand for tickets from Cyclone fans (7,300 all-session tournament tickets were ordered by our fan base) far exceeded the number of all-session tickets (4,131 tickets) we were able to secure from the Big 12 Conference office and the other Big 12 member institutions. Last year we were able to secure over 5,000 all-session tickets. Unfortunately this year we simply were not able to purchase as many additional tickets from our peer institutions.

We prepared the following chart, in an effort to be as transparent as possible to our fan base, summarizing how we are allocating the 4,131 tickets

Directors Level ($12,500) 1,509 tickets
Victory Level ($5,000) 1,553 tickets
Captains Level ($2,500) 779 tickets
Gold Level ($1,000) 190 tickets
Coaches & Administrative Staff 100 tickets

Time Out - was this an email or a letter? I haven't received anything but then with so much "junk mail" I could have tossed it

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Time Out - was this an email or a letter? I haven't received anything but then with so much "junk mail" I could have tossed it

I got this info in an email late Friday afternoon.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL

Impressed with the end around to get tix.

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL
Based on conversations with Iowa State fans in KC over the last 3-4 years, there are a lot of fans that live in Texas that have a neighbor or friend that already contribute to TTU, TCU, or Baylor and just have them buy them tickets for them. Cyclone fans are very creative when it comes to Big 12 tickets when we are good. It could very well be the reason there are fewer available for ISU to buy this year.

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
Update for XII men's basketball tournament tickets.

Directors Level ($12,500) 1,509 tickets
Victory Level ($5,000) 1,553 tickets
Captains Level ($2,500) 779 tickets
Gold Level ($1,000) 190 tickets
Coaches & Administrative Staff 100 tickets

Directors 987
Victory 885
Captain 773
Gold and below 2555

cyfan50438

Oct 31, 2007
Garner, IA
This if from the Sprint Center website concerning the Big XII Tournament. Anyone make any sense out of this?

The Big 12 Conference has announced that a limited number of tickets will be made available for the 2016 Phillips 66 Big 12 Men’s Basketball Championship, scheduled for March 9-12 at Sprint Center in Kansas City, Mo.
The 2016 event marks the 15th time that Kansas City will host the Phillips 66 Big 12 Men’s Basketball Championship - more than any other city. Each year since hosting the event at Sprint Center, Kansas City’s downtown arena, tickets have been made available for purchase to the public. That tradition continues in 2016 with an added presale opportunity (while supplies last) on February 1.
“We are excited to offer this general public sale opportunity for our men’s basketball championship,” noted Big 12 Commissioner Bob Bowlsby. “The fans from our institutions and those in Kansas City do a phenomenal job supporting this event and we look forward to playing more great games in front of a full house at Sprint Center.”
“Sprint Center is honored to serve as the host venue for the Big 12 Men’s Basketball Championship for the eighth time in 2016,” said Brenda Tinnen, Sprint Center General Manager and Senior Vice President. “Together with our partners from Visit KC and the Kansas City Sports Commission, we look forward to welcoming student-athletes and fans from throughout Big 12 country to our region.”
Interested fans may visit SprintCenter.com to complete and submit the registration form for the opportunity to purchase all-session tickets during the presale. The presale registration period begins on Jan. 26 at Noon CT and ends at 11:59 p.m. CT. Successful registrants will be notified of the presale status by Friday, Jan. 29 via the email address submitted on the registration form. The online only presale will be Monday, Feb. 1 at SprintCenter.com (while supplies last) and a limited number of tickets will be available to the general public on Tuesday, Feb. 2 (while supplies last).
Each ticket includes all five sessions for the 2016 Phillips 66 Big 12 Men’s Basketball Championship - guaranteeing the same seat location for the four-day event held from March 9-12. Fans may purchase up to four (4) all-session tickets for the 2016 Championship at face value directly from Sprint Center, the event’s only authorized ticketing outlet. Tickets go on sale Tuesday, Feb. 2 at 10 a.m. CT online only at SprintCenter.com.
For additional information, visit Big12Sports.com, SprintCenter.com or call 816.949.7100.
Ok, So how many tickets will be available and at what price. How likely will the average person be successful in getting tickets this way.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron