Xbox 360 help

Cyclone90

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 29, 2007
Our family hasn't used our Xbox 360 in a long time. The girls started it up today and it's prompting for whether we want to accept the system update (Yes or No). The only problem is that both wireless controllers died from dead batteries and aren't sync'd with the console. I tried replacing the batteries but neither controller with now sync with the console, at least while the unit is at this update screen. We're stuck and I don't know how to proceed past this menu outside of maybe getting a wired controller and trying again. Any ideas? I've searched extensively for a solution and haven't found much.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
[video]https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=office+space+printer[/video]

On a more serious note, about all I use my 360 for now is Netflix and WWE Network. Whenever I can't find my XBOX 360 remote control, I resort to using one of my controllers, all of which I use so irregularly that I have to replace the batteries before I can turn them on. Never have had to resync them with the 360 - just have to turn them on and the 360 recognizes them, even with new batteries. Sounds like you might have a deeper issue. That, or you can try to find a cheap XBOX 360 remote control (which requires no syncing before using) to do the system update.

ISC

Oct 15, 2009
Iowa
Not sure on that as i thought you could still sync a controller at that screen. The one thing to maybe try is plugging in a USB keyboard and seeing if you can interact with it that way (as it supports usb keyboards out of the box)

Or, if you turn off your internet while you start it up do you still get the prompt?

ISC

Oct 15, 2009
Iowa
[video]https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=office+space+printer[/video]

On a more serious note, about all I use my 360 for now is Netflix and WWE Network. Whenever I can't find my XBOX 360 remote control, I resort to using one of my controllers, all of which I use so irregularly that I have to replace the batteries before I can turn them on. Never have had to resync them with the 360 - just have to turn them on and the 360 recognizes them, even with new batteries. Sounds like you might have a deeper issue. That, or you can try to find a cheap XBOX 360 remote control (which requires no syncing before using) to do the system update.

if you have a logitech harmony remote (which i highly recommend) you can have it control your 360 (here's the one i have and it works flawlessly -> http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-915-000148-Harmony-Remote-Devices/dp/B005O81U9S).

Not sure if supports the xb1 yet as the kinect on it is so good i just use it to control the system instead of a remote (if you were put off by the kinect on the 360 that was horrible -> the xbox one's kinect is so much better and actually works very well)

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Not only that, but the system update is only required if you want to connect to XBOX Live. The more I think about it, the more it sounds like you have a more serious problem.

Cyclones423

Dec 30, 2009
Des Moines, IA
I'd try what ISC suggested, unplug the console from the internet to skip the update until you get the controllers synced, or plug in a USB keyboard and try to proceed with the update, then sync the controllers.

How to vid just in case...
[video=youtube;0Rxk4qXwJ0U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Rxk4qXwJ0U[/video]

Cyclone90

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 29, 2007
Solution: Get an XB1 already

We don't use it enough to justify another console at this point. Just trying to save it for what it's worth. I'm going to try the USB keyboard however and see what happens. It's hooked up wirelessly so I can't disconnect the internet before boot. I'll get back with its fate. Thanks for the suggestions.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
We don't use it enough to justify another console at this point. Just trying to save it for what it's worth. I'm going to try the USB keyboard however and see what happens. It's hooked up wirelessly so I can't disconnect the internet before boot. I'll get back with its fate. Thanks for the suggestions.

Sure you can - unplug the internet/disable the wireless router.

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010

Ummm, shut off your wireless.

This reminds me of a gal I know that missed work on day because the power went out in her garage and she could open the door. She didn't know/think about pulling the little cord and lifting the door manually.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Ummm, shut off your wireless.

This reminds me of a gal I know that missed work on day because the power went out in her garage and she could open the door. She didn't know/think about pulling the little cord and lifting the door manually.

Meh. I might have played hooky on something like that too. There was a defect in the keypad for the one car garage door opener for the condo where my family used to live before we moved to Michigan, so when the car was parked in the garage with the opener and you didn't have keys for the other car to get the other opener and the keypad was going schizo, I had to open it manually. And while it was easy enough to figure out, it was no less a pain in the arse. As a result, we for the most part stopped using the garage for our cars and mostly used it for storage and parked our cars out front instead.

Cyclone90

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 29, 2007
The USB keyboard worked great. Got me past the system update screen just fine with full control. I let it do its updating and it still didn't work. Tried a reboot and nothing. Still no lights on the power button or ability to sync. However, a shutdown followed by pulling the plug overnight reset it. The previous controllers worked again with no re-syncing. Must have reset some RF or bluetooth component. Thanks again.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Maybe I need to re-sync my controllers. For some reason my controllers are perfectly fine while doing everything but playing a game in NCAA football. As soon as you start playing a game it randomly starts disconnecting often multiple times per play. Obviously this makes it unplayable.

Any idea's?

ImperialCyclone

Sep 11, 2012
Maybe I need to re-sync my controllers. For some reason my controllers are perfectly fine while doing everything but playing a game in NCAA football. As soon as you start playing a game it randomly starts disconnecting often multiple times per play. Obviously this makes it unplayable.

Any idea's?

Try doing a hard reset. To do this, just unplug the power cord and leave it off for 30 seconds. then boom...you should be good to roll (hopefully).

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron