Xavier Foster Committed To Iowa State

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I’ve said this to many people. I believe Henry and Born will have a better college career then Foster. Henry is like Doug McDermott was at Ames. Over shadowed by a player with more hype. He is going to do real well at the college level. Born will also be a top level player.
what does "top level player" mean to you?

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
Probably, Born will be at UNI for four years though. Xavier may make it two if lucky. Not a great comparison, buddy boy. And good luck to Born when he actually plays a high major team. He'll get slaughtered on both ends.

You ever watch a possession of his team? woof. Foster kept them in games. They were awful.

I've seen him play 5 times... Like I said above.. Yes he keeps them in games, but seriously they could of been better and they had a chance to win last night. He wants to play outside and he could of killed Pella playing inside more last night.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
So what's the full story here.. Was he double teamed, triple teamed? Did he turn it over a bunch? Miss a ton of shots?
Probably similar to the game I saw. Took and missed a bunch of 3s and fade away long twos over players a foot shorter. I hope our staff can show the ability to develop him and play him to his strengths, but I’m pretty sure I know the answer to that.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I've seen him play 5 times... Like I said above.. Yes he keeps them in games, but seriously they could of been better and they had a chance to win last night. He wants to play outside and he could of killed Pella playing inside more last night.
He's not going to stand around the arc all day long for Iowa State. He'll be used a ton more than that. Him picking and popping / picking and rolling will work really well. If teams put a smaller guy on him to counter his athleticism, we'll post him up on the block.

For him to play in the NBA, he's going to have to dip into his bag more than just shooting 3's. Prohm knows that too.

Last edited:

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
I’ve said this to many people. I believe Henry and Born will have a better college career then Foster. Henry is like Doug McDermott was at Ames. Over shadowed by a player with more hype. He is going to do real well at the college level. Born will also be a top level player.

That is super.
Born may have a very good career at UNI, that doesn't mean it would have happened at ISU or even Iowa, (neither who offered for a reason). I am sure Xavier would more dominant in the MVC if he'd wanted to play at UNI too (better than Born).

A four year player may have a better "career" at a mid major but not succeed at the P6 level. It isn't an apples to apples comparison.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Probably similar to the game I saw. Took and missed a bunch of 3s and fade away long twos over players a foot shorter. I hope our staff can show the ability to develop him and play him to his strengths, but I’m pretty sure I know the answer to that.
Coach Prohm has coached a lot of talented players and have played them too their strengths. A lot of them are in the NBA right now. If you don't think he's played certain guys to their strengths I'd absolutely love to here who exactly and what Coach Prohm could've done better.

UNI1ISU2

Jun 7, 2019
1- I can’t wait till next year to really see how things turn out
2- it will be fun to come back to this thread in the years and see who was right.

3- anyone that plays at a mid major will always be down graded and told he could not do the same at a P6 conference. Hell people were saying that about Doug McDermott and how if he played at ISU he would not of been player of the year. It is apples to apples. It’s called talent

UNI1ISU2

Jun 7, 2019
He's not going to stand around the arc all day long for Iowa State. He'll be used a ton more than that. Him picking and popping / picking and rolling will work really well. If teams put a smaller guy on him to counter his athleticism, we'll post him up on the block.

For him to play in the NBA, he's going to have to dip into his bag more than just shooting 3's. Prohm knows that too.
Bold prediction. He won’t go to
NBA

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
1- I can’t wait till next year to really see how things turn out
2- it will be fun to come back to this thread in the years and see who was right.
Your takes haven't exactly been spot on this season, considering how you said UNI would most likely lose 1 maybe 2 games in conference. They now have to win their conference tournament in order to be a for sure lock for the tournament.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
He's at least 6 inches taller then the guy guarding him... His team shouldn't of been outscored 24-2 to end the game. Get low and get big.
Yeah I think that that's a coaching issue. There's no reason he should've been on the perimeter.

• Agree
Reactions: bellzisu

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Yeah I think that that's a coaching issue. There's no reason he should've been on the perimeter.

I haven't watched them but from I have heard other people say, their guards are horrible. Could it be they have trouble actually getting the ball to him in the post and therefore the easiest way to get him the ball is on the perimeter? I have no idea, just guessing.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
To me this is not at all complicated. Foster has a much higher ceiling than Born, Henry, or any other player at UNI. The hope is his apparent disinterest at times is a byproduct of playing on a bad team. I would tend to agree if he can't show a little more aggression and drive than you see in most of his high school games he will have a hard time succeeding. But if he does have that in him he has the chance to be much more successful in college and beyond than guys like Born and Henry. How it plays out is anyone's guess.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I haven't watched them but from I have heard other people say, their guards are horrible. Could it be they have trouble actually getting the ball to him in the post and therefore the easiest way to get him the ball is on the perimeter? I have no idea, just guessing.
Yeah I mean it's easy for us to sit here and talk down the situation, including me just saying it was a coaching issue during this game, but I don't know the full details. I've seen countless games where he's been used down low, and I doubt Oskaloosa's coach simply said "nope, we're not posting Xavier up this game".

Pella could've been running a junk defense, a double/triple team every time, or anything else that might've caused Xavier to get pushed out. Oskaloosa is flat out bad this year and I guarantee you Pella was going to quadruple team Foster before they let him beat them by himself.

Crookedhatkid

May 14, 2018
The reason Born isn’t a P6 player has nothing to do with his offense. You can definitely get away with playing a guy his size who can score like he can offensively. It’s because he can’t guard at a P6 level. Our 6’1 guards get murdered on switches now, and they are taller, more athletic, and quite a bit more filled out than Born. That being said I am really rooting for the kid. Went to his dad basketball camps growing up, seemed like a great guy.