Writer's Strike: What shows are coming back, which aren't

CloneAggie

Oct 21, 2006
Re: Writer's Strike: What shows are coming back, which are'nt

My gripes with network TV have far more to do with the society, which they help to shape and create, than they do with the programming itself. It's just lazy. It's McDonald's vs. a proper meal. It's people who would rather watch news entertainment (CNN, Fox News, MSNBC etc.) than be informed about world events. It's people who would rather watch NCIS or CSI than the First 48. It's people who don't want their boundaries tested, or their view of reality challenged, and that's really irritating to me. And all of that drives shows that are "safe" and "proven" as opposed to edgy and new. It's why Seinfeld almost didn't get made - it was too "jewey" for mainstream America.

I think ragging on network television is unwarranted. Seems to me that every argument you provide seems to suggest TV (and not just network TV) is reflecting society, not shaping society. That is, people are lazy and TV is catering to that. I don't think TV made people lazy. Just as I don't think video games makes people violent. You even say yourself, "all of that drives shows..." And you obviously don't believe it is just network TV, as your examples include the cable news channels. First 48 may be a very good show and a good example of the quality shows shown on cable. Unfortunately, it on the same channel as Gene Simmons Family Jewels.

huntt26

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk

WHOOO THE OFFICE IS BACK!!!

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007

I think ragging on network television is unwarranted. Seems to me that every argument you provide seems to suggest TV (and not just network TV) is reflecting society, not shaping society. That is, people are lazy and TV is catering to that. I don't think TV made people lazy. Just as I don't think video games makes people violent. You even say yourself, "all of that drives shows..." And you obviously don't believe it is just network TV, as your examples include the cable news channels. First 48 may be a very good show and a good example of the quality shows shown on cable. Unfortunately, it on the same channel as Gene Simmons Family Jewels.

I complain about network TV because it's the only "free" TV we have. We, as Americans, give up our airwaves for TV stations so that they can serve the public interest.

I don't believe it is just network TV. Obviously MTV, VH1, E! etc. etc. etc. are just as bad if not worse, and it's not like every channel on cable or satellite is "better", it's just that you won't find shows like "Mythbusters" on network TV, and I think that's a shame. That show, with a REAL budget, could be awesome.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA

The only shows I watch on network tv are Chuck, Hero's and I'm getting into the terminator series. Other than that I miss (nerd alert if I'm not there already) miss stargate sg-1 when macgyver was on there. I think cable series are way better.

Jul 25, 2007
I'm a nomad.

They had finished about 4 more unaired Scrubs episodes before the strike. I'm not sure when they are going to air them but hopefully then can wrap up the show in a good way with those 4 and a few more post strike episodes. I'm going to miss JD and Turk when that show is over.

ketchupnmustard

Oct 28, 2006

They really need to get rid of 1 or 2 CSI's. Although I will say the openings to CSI Miami are great comedy with Horatio's supracheesy bad 1-liners.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron