Worthy put by Dennis Dodd on this league ...

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...-something-soon--or-else-seven-things-to-know

"Let's say a Big 12 Network reaches 50 million cable homes with an average subscriber fee of a dime. That's $60 million annually (50 million x $0.10 x 12 months) -- a net increase of $35 million that more than doubles LHN's production."

"LHN, to this point, has been a financial failure, losing a total of $48 million, according to theSan Antonio Express-News. A source told CBS Sports that the network continues to lose $18 million-$20 million per year."

Last edited:

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
So, what about this article isn't just a complete rehash of the last one?

The answer is nothing. Its still just Dodd pushing the exact same talking points as the last dozen articles he wrote about it

Last edited:

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
I just can't shake the feeling that this whole, "Big 12 must do something soon" mantra is driven solely by news sports media. It's kind of becoming a fact that conference sports networks aren't something that every fan is dying to get their hands on. Also, expansion for the sake of expansion is pretty dumb, everyone is already making pretty good money, just because the Big 10 was able to water down their conference and still make money, doesn't mean it's going to work for everyone.

I'm personally of the belief that the Big 12 has already set it's fate. I can't tell you weather it's good or bad, but by not grabbing some bigger name teams, when they had the chance, the Big 12 set it's future in stone. Call me naive, but I son't think adding Central Florida, Cincinnati, or any other lesser known football school is going to do anything but water down the pot.

Every year, Texas plays OU, every year Iowa State play OU, how interested is the rest of the country seriously going to be when ISU plays Cincinnati? Or instead of playing WVU, Texas gets Cincinnati? We already play 9 conference games, without grabbing a good name, going to 12 adds no value.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with expansion or adding a team like Cincinnati, I just don't buy the idea of everyone telling the Big 12 it's something that has to be done to survive. The Big 12 will either survive or it won't, based on what happened with NU, MU, CU, aTM, and not shooting for ACC Teams, but adding teams just for the sake of adding them, is, imo, not going to change the outcome of the Big 12.

Last edited:

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
I catch most league games when I'm hanging in the man cave. Nati v. ISU would be as interesting to me as ISU v. Tech or oSu in both sports. And the article pointedly said that the network adds real value for ESPN, thus one would expect for the member institutions as well. Clearly, the c'game would be at a financial gain.

Last edited:

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Numbers I've never seen before.

They're bad though - he says the Big XII is sitting on "$75 million" but totally ignores that each school has individual contracts for their third tier rights that add up to a good chunk of that amount (maybe more counting the Longhorn Network). It isn't like the conference is letting those rights waste away. They are just using a different business model to put them to use.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
They're bad though - he says the Big XII is sitting on "$75 million" but totally ignores that each school has individual contracts for their third tier rights that add up to a good chunk of that amount (maybe more counting the Longhorn Network). It isn't like the conference is letting those rights waste away. They are just using a different business model to put them to use.

I don't believe you're observations are factual. K-State report $4 million last year. Boren said OU's is somewhere between two and five million. Ku's around $6 million. I've not seen ISU's.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
I don't believe you're observations are factual. K-State report $4 million last year. Boren said OU's is somewhere between two and five million. Ku's around $6 million. I've not seen ISU's.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2012/09/17/Media/Oklahoma.aspx

The University of Oklahoma’s block of branded programming on Fox Sports Net will result in upward of $7 million in new annual revenue from both Fox and the school’s multimedia rights holder, Learfield Sports.