Worst offense in the Big 12?

Which Big 12 team has the toughest time on offense? Only adding teams that I feel qualify

• Texas

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Texas Tech

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Iowa State

Votes: 127 76.5%
  • TCU

Votes: 6 3.6%
  • Oklahoma St

Votes: 8 4.8%
  • WVU

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • K state

Votes: 13 7.8%

• Total voters

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Some of those turnovers Saturday were from lax approach, like dribbling around with seemingly no awareness of someone coming from behind. Not without effort...just kind of in a fog.

This is what I meant -- they just seem worn mentally and physically.

I'm sure getting jobbed in Lawrence didn't help team morale, too.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Or really doesn't have the abilities to do the things that would be great if they could.

OSU is another long athletic team so a simple cut isn't just something that's going to happen at least consistently, nor will just going to the basket hard since it will be harder to dictate the movement of the defender. And since shooting is not consistent a team really doesn't have to respect the cuts/kick out.

Agree with @Statefan10 though for what they do on offense--it's like the general action is so engrained that they can't get out of it. A red flag is that this dates back to December and is still a problem. Part of TCU's run that put it away after getting cut to 3 the other day was a result of a telegraphed pass.

I don't remember a team (yes even last years -yikes) that has so many telegraphed passes stolen or balls poked away from behind. Right now we seem to be very easy for teams to guard, and that's not good. And increases the team's frustration level.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
This is what I meant -- they just seem worn mentally and physically.

I'm sure getting jobbed in Lawrence didn't help team morale, too.
I'm not sure the game in Lawrence had much to do with what we're witnessing. Cyclone teams are conditioned to getting jobbed down there, plus they followed that game up with arguably their best game of the year v. Texas

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
The result of the game wasn’t just missing shots, it was also not having the ability to take good shots at critical points because we were careless with the ball and TCU was able to get fast break layups because of that.

That starts with Hunter, who I know is a freshman but was extremely careless. It ends with Conditt who has almost been unplayable in this stretch of games. You can’t have a big man have that many turnovers.

Conditt is a disaster when he gets the ball up around the free throw line. He can't make a decision on where to go with it and holds the ball for way too long. It completely kills the set we are trying to run.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I'm not sure the game in Lawrence had much to do with what we're witnessing. Cyclone teams are conditioned to getting jobbed down there, plus they followed that game up with arguably their best game of the year v. Texas

Very few of the guys on this year's team had played in Lawrence previously.

Very few of even the best Iowa State teams have a lead under 0:30 and a great look at the buzzer to win.

Yeah yeah the Phog has plenty of horror stories but mostly blowouts, not incredibly close losses.

I just think these guys are human, and it is showing.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Conditt is a disaster when he gets the ball up around the free throw line. He can't make a decision on where to go with it and holds the ball for way too long. It completely kills the set we are trying to run.
Yep and honestly at the start of the year he wasn’t that bad but that was because our actions were better and guys were able to get off their man for either a cut or a handoff. Now guys are being taught essentially to deny any sort of pass from our wings and it takes us completely out of our offense.

• Agree
Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Manzer had it right on the KU broadcast -- we really struggle against good defenses in half-court sets. We need a lot of points off turnovers to compete.

The last 3 games we have not turned teams over and scored easy baskets. The ISU half court offense is terrible. Don't know how anyone could slice that another way.

Reactions: SolarGarlic

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

And although it was earlier in the year before teams could really find the formula to counter ISU, when he's just playing it goes better.

He's back to thinking instead of just reacting which is too bad because he looked ready to really let it all out there with a new regime.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Offensively, this is what I was worried about going into the year and in the nonconference. We have zero post up threats. I mean, Conditt and Jones have good size, but they are a disaster posting up. A FR PG that can penetrate and dish, but is a streaky shooter at best and prone to FR inconsistency. Kalcheur at 2 is the definition of streaky and inconsistent. Our 4's can't really create for themselves and are prone to disappearing. And our best player is so left hand dominant that teams have scouted him out and he has yet to adjust. Grill and Jackson can both get hot, but it usually only happens once every few games. That's just not a good recipe to score points...depending on streaky shooters and steals and run outs. You can only win so much on effort. At some point, you need some offensive skill and guys that can hit open shots.

Nothing we can really do about it this year. Just hope Kalcheur starts hitting again and Brockington figures out how to go right.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Offensively, this is what I was worried about going into the year and in the nonconference. We have zero post up threats. I mean, Conditt and Jones have good size, but they are a disaster posting up. A FR PG that can penetrate and dish, but is a streaky shooter at best and prone to FR inconsistency. Kalcheur at 2 is the definition of streaky and inconsistent. Our 4's can't really create for themselves and are prone to disappearing. And our best player is so left hand dominant that teams have scouted him out and he has yet to adjust. Grill and Jackson can both get hot, but it usually only happens once every few games. That's just not a good recipe to score points...depending on streaky shooters and steals and run outs. You can only win so much on effort. At some point, you need some offensive skill and guys that can hit open shots.

Nothing we can really do about it this year. Just hope Kalcheur starts hitting again and Brockington figures out how to go right.

I hate to say this yet --

Most of the rotation consists of players who are known commodities at this point. Most of them have at least some upsides to their offensive game (e.g., Brockington really is great with his left hand, Kalscheur can fill it up when he's hot, and Conditt rolls well to the basket, etc.), but most of them are priced into the model now with well-defined strengths and weaknesses. Ones opposing teams are game planning around.

I would say there are only two players on the current roster who have much upside from what we have seen. Those are Hunter and Enaruna. The other guys were high-floor, low-ceiling options that TJ brought in to jumpstart the program after 1.5 dismal years while waiting for Hunter, Enaruna, and Foster (when he was still a Cyclone) to mature and while giving time for TJ's recruiting to bring some dudes to Ames.

The offense is more-or-less what we thought it would be before this season. And while that offense is the sum of its relatively meager parts, the defense is still really good. The fact the season has had the successes it has so far is because the defense is way more than the sum of its parts, which does give some credibility to the coaching staff to me, especially Kyle Green. Torvik adjusted defense against the Big 12...

Besides the blowout in the second half of the Oklahoma game, the defense has been rock solid. Numbers like that should be enough to win games. They held TCU to 59 -- usually you think if you can keep a team under 60 you have a good chance to win. But maybe it has to be more like 50 now to win games.

It is a good roster and team, but one with its flaws, which all have save a few national title contenders. Still impressive for the first year, but the Big 12 is merciless in exposing your shortcomings.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Obviously Brockington's midrange game is elite, but he has to make a concerted effort to get to the hoop. If they're overplaying his left, find a move to the right. He finally did it in the 2nd half against TCU, and he got an easy and 1. The midrange is great, but he was playing more downhill earlier in the season.

• Agree
Reactions: CloniesForLife

tomar1

Aug 16, 2008
I AGREE...Winning 7 conference games with this anemic offense is going to be hard...but I have confidence that eventually TJ will get it figured out or JUST RECRUIT BETTER SHOOTERS & BETTER PLAYERS!
We need an inside presence we can’t just Chuck 3’s

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Obviously Brockington's midrange game is elite, but he has to make a concerted effort to get to the hoop. If they're overplaying his left, find a move to the right. He finally did it in the 2nd half against TCU, and he got an easy and 1. The midrange is great, but he was playing more downhill earlier in the season.
Yeah the midrange is nice but he needs to put more pressure on the defense and maybe get others involved or a foul.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Tends to step right for a jumper and it's been somewhat successful I'm not sure it's reliable.

Baseline23

Mar 17, 2012
The offense will get better when the offensive talent of the inside players improves 400%. Hopefully next year with transfers.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Easier to post this after a win, but we knew the offense would struggle. We take care of business this weekend and we're 16-5 which anybody on this board would have taken 16 wins for the SEASON no questions asked in October. We know the offense isn't great, there are still opportunities for them to improve, but this team should get a pass this year.

superiorcyclone

Dec 12, 2013
I will have to pay more attention. I have mostly noticed the effort, strong defense and rebounding, and we seem to throw the ball between players on offense; I heard it is called "passing". Like a semi-colon, what is passing for?

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Our big men did a great job making decisions out top, which I think keyed some of the offensive improvement. 9 assists between Conditt and Jones.

Our main issue is that we need someone to start breaking down the defense off the dribble. Hunter is the best on the team at it, but can sometimes turn it over in traffic or make bad decisions (expected for a freshman PG). I think at times it's worth taking that risk when our offense is stalling out.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron