World Cup Wrestling

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I’ve seen highlights. Green, Burroughs, Dake, Taylor all in a row is a brutal stretch for opponents. It’s been mentioned above already, but Dake has been throwing people around like rag dolls. Had a sub 40 second tech against India.

The US has a very strong team, with a ton of depth. Too bad the Russians aren’t there though.

SimpsonCyclone

Jul 20, 2011
Iowa
I’ve seen highlights. Green, Burroughs, Dake, Taylor all in a row is a brutal stretch for opponents. It’s been mentioned above already, but Dake has been throwing people around like rag dolls. Had a sub 40 second tech against India.

The US has a very strong team, with a ton of depth. Too bad the Russians aren’t there though.
Agree! Im regretting not going now. If russia and iran would have been there i would have bought tickets in a heartbeat

jkbuff98

Jan 3, 2017
Have been watching on NBCSN- Dake has been an animal. Wish Kyven could have gotten to go against India but I get it that people pay to watch Snyder.

• Agree
Reactions: cyputz

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
1st Place Match
USA 6 - Azerbaijan 4
57kg Giorgi Edisherashvili (Azerbaijan) dec. Thomas Gilman (USA) 8-7

61kg Kendric Maple (USA) dec. Afgan Khashalov (Azerbaijan) 6-2

65kg Logan Stieber (USA) dec. Haji Aliyev (Azerbaijan) 6-3

70kg Joshgun Azimov (Azerbaijan) dec. James Green (USA) 4-4

74kg Jordan Burroughs (USA) fall Gasjimurad Omarov (Azerbaijan)

79kg Kyle Dake (USA) dec Jabrayil Hasanov (Azerbaijan) 5-3

86kg David Taylor (USA) tech. fall Aleksander Gostiev (Azerbaijan) 12-2

92kg Aslanbek Alborov (Azerbaijan) dec. J’den Cox (USA) 4-4

97kg Kyle Snyder (USA) tech. fall Roman Bakirov (Azerbaijan) 14-3

125kg Jamaladdin Magomedov (Azerbaijan) dec. Nick Gwiazdowski (USA) 4-3

More results here from Flo site:

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
The NY Times had a big article recently on the wrestling culture in the Dagestan region of southern Russia:

A Wrestling Culture That Helps Keep Boys Away From Fighting (March 18, 2018)
https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile...rld/europe/russia-dagestan-wrestling.amp.html

Second place Azerbaijan isn’t labeled there, but if you click on the map in the article, it is the country just south of Dagestan on the Caspian Sea (and southeast of Georgia, which took 5th).

• Informative
Reactions: bthomps01

bustamoveisu

Sep 8, 2012
The NY Times had a big article recently on the wrestling culture in the Dagestan region of southern Russia:

A Wrestling Culture That Helps Keep Boys Away From Fighting (March 18, 2018)
https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile...rld/europe/russia-dagestan-wrestling.amp.html

Second place Azerbaijan isn’t labeled there, but if you click on the map in the article, it is the country just south of Dagestan on the Caspian Sea (and southeast of Georgia, which took 5th).
Good Stuff. Thanks for sharing.

csteve

Feb 11, 2011
Love seeing Gilman run his foul mouth again, and then going out and getting his a** beat. LOVE IT!!
Have to disagree here. I am definitely not a Gilman fan and wish he would get beat out by another American. However, I offered full support for him when wrestling for Team USA! Liking that he gets beat in the World Cup seems a little un-American to me.

csteve

Feb 11, 2011
Anybody watching? Dake is impressive. It is in Iowa City

Dish 159 or 389. Start at 10 this Sunday morning

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/6169394-world-cup-day-1-recap-usa-crushes-india-japan
Was a fun experience watching the high level wrestling at the World Cup. I think this may have been one of the highest attended World Cups, but was still a little disappointed. I thought there would have been more fans there. $75 for two days of World level wrestling was definitely worth it!

Had a blast on Saturday talking to Gable a few times. First, talked to him in the beer line as he was taking a pic with his Gable's Gold beer tapper (from SingleSpeed Brewing out of Waterloo). Since the owner of SingleSpeed is from my hometown, we had a good conversation. For every Gable's Gold sold, $1 goes to the National Wrestling Hall of Fame Dan Gable Museum. Said that $8k had been donated so far. Pretty cool! Gable was trying to tell the beer vendors that they needed more vending areas because the beer lines were so long.

Talked to him later in the day and he is still a coach at heart. He had to tell me that Gilman needed to be coached to finish his shots. Then he went into 5 minutes of a "mini-technique" session. Fun day!

Talked to another former Cyclone, Bill Tate, in the restaurant. First time I've spoke with him, but seemed like a great person!

I think the World Cup could use some tweaks, but all in all, a great event! Wish it came around more often!

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Regret not going. I have been to the trials in Iowa City the last a couple times. But to watch some World Athletes would have be great. I heard to Japan vs Cuba match was great to watch.

csteve

Feb 11, 2011
Regret not going. I have been to the trials in Iowa City the last a couple times. But to watch some World Athletes would have be great. I heard to Japan vs Cuba match was great to watch.
Japan vs Cuba was definitely a good match. Cuba has some very entertaining wrestlers and were hitting a lot of throws! I think their wrestling actions created the most oooh's and aaah's for the weekend.

Dake was probably our most entertaining wrestler.

• Agree
Reactions: bthomps01 and buf87

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
Have to disagree here. I am definitely not a Gilman fan and wish he would get beat out by another American. However, I offered full support for him when wrestling for Team USA! Liking that he gets beat in the World Cup seems a little un-American to me.

I felt this way as well until he essentially told us to not cheer for him last year when he made some rather dumb remarks at that fight night deal. So, now I cheer for every American except Gilman :)

• Agree
Reactions: SimpsonCyclone