Words of Wisdom from Coach Gundy

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
We were in bad shape before social media came around. It’s just we didn’t realize it.
The internet generally doesn't cause problems, it just makes them more visible. People hate visibility of bad things, because they normally aren't used to seeing them in their daily life. Gundy is no exception. In his case, I see both sides: I'm sure it is annoying for him to get asked officially about what a bunch of basement-dwellers are complaining about, I get that. He may be overreacting to meaningless criticism a little, but I get it. However, at the end of the day I guarantee all of his players love it, the school uses it for their brand, they use it to help recruiting, exposure, possibly strategizing, etc. The internet provides him with useful tools, social media included. The internet largely exists in it's current scope and capacity because of social media -- that was a massive boom to general-person internet usage.

Social media may be a fairly-negative part of what's largely a useful and powerful system. Good coaches and programs will learn/have learned how to properly utilize and weaponize internet resources, including social media. Look at our very own program for a perfect example. #WinInTheDark

• Agree
Reactions: Doc

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
The internet generally doesn't cause problems, it just makes them more visible. People hate visibility of bad things, because they normally aren't used to seeing them in their daily life. Gundy is no exception. In his case, I see both sides: I'm sure it is annoying for him to get asked officially about what a bunch of basement-dwellers are complaining about, I get that. He may be overreacting to meaningless criticism a little, but I get it. However, at the end of the day I guarantee all of his players love it, the school uses it for their brand, they use it to help recruiting, exposure, possibly strategizing, etc. The internet provides him with useful tools, social media included. The internet largely exists in it's current scope and capacity because of social media -- that was a massive boom to general-person internet usage.

Social media may be a fairly-negative part of what's largely a useful and powerful system. Good coaches and programs will learn/have learned how to properly utilize and weaponize internet resources, including social media. Look at our very own program for a perfect example. #WinInTheDark

You used "weaponize" and "brand" in the same posting.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I know I like to poke fun a lot at the whole I'm a man I'm 40 thing, but in honestly I love the guy. If I played for Gundy I would give him everything I have because I would know as a coach he has my back. But as a fan he's just awesome to listen to because he's not afraid to tell it as it is. Too many coaches go up there because it's a requirement to their contract and stick to a narrative because they don't want the media or public know what's going on with their program. Not Gundy. He's an open book.