Woodbury accused of intentionally poking players in the eyes.

CYlent Bob

Aug 7, 2006
The Winterset Metroplex
I know you said, etc, but you didn't specifically list our ESPN game against KSU. There were seasons that one ESPN showing would have been the epitome of our national exposure for the season!

This is about as good as I could ever have dreamed it, exposure-wise.

I picture Fred singing "Damn it Feels Good to be a Gangsta" every morning in the shower.

maciues

Nov 20, 2013
The announcers even commented at the beginning of the Wisconsin game, how Woodbury wasn't able to get away with his normal arm bar during the tip off.

What was worse was that Dakich was actually heaping praise on Woodbury for using this tactic on the tip off, like it was a savvy veteran move (and this wasn't the first game I have heard Dakich say this same exact thing), and by the eye-gouging/elbowing phase of the game, he had changed course.

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
I look at it like this -- Woodbury intentionally cheats on the tip off. If he intentionally cheats at one thing, he is going to intentionally cheat in other areas. He is a cheater at heart, and cheaters gonna cheat.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
I know you said, etc, but you didn't specifically list our ESPN game against KSU. There were seasons that one ESPN showing would have been the epitome of our national exposure for the season!

This is about as good as I could ever have dreamed it, exposure-wise.

Yeah, there were other things to be listed. The amount of exposure ISU is getting is incredible. There was another thread on HN or HR a while ago that was talking (bragging) about the fact that about half of Iowa's conference games this year were going to be on one of the ESPN outlets (not sure if that included ESPN3 or ESPN Watch). That was a big deal! (What was the Big Ten Network for again?) I had to laugh when I, of course, took a look at ISU's conference schedule and noticed that each and every conference game was on one (or more) of the ESPN outlets, plus 5 of the non-conference ISU games had been on ESPN outlets, one had been on the Big Ten Network, and another had been on CBS Sports Network. I don't think the Big Ten network is doing for the Big Ten schools (at least Iowa and some others) quite what was thought from the beginning. I think the Cyclones.tv is a much better approach and more valuable tool for schools. Not necessarily for national exposure, but just for keeping and expanding your fan base.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
Does anyone think that Woodbury is coordinated enough to intentionally poke someone else in the eye? I would say it was an accident.

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
I look at it like this -- Woodbury intentionally cheats on the tip off. If he intentionally cheats at one thing, he is going to intentionally cheat in other areas. He is a cheater at heart, and cheaters gonna cheat.

Can't blame him. When you're as unathletic as he is, you'll do anything to make it an even playing field. :twitcy:

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
Since this happened a few days ago now and Iowa plays again tomorrow is it safe to say the Big 10 isn't going to do anything?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Does anyone think that Woodbury is coordinated enough to intentionally poke someone else in the eye? I would say it was an accident.

This is the dumbest argument that I've heard regarding this incident. I'm not very coordinated but if you're standing still and I reach out my hand and get as close as I can to your face, I can easily poke you in the eye at that point.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
They were both intentional.

The one with Frank the Bank was especially hilarious, "We're down by 30, here's where I get in your head".

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
Yeah, there were other things to be listed. The amount of exposure ISU is getting is incredible. There was another thread on HN or HR a while ago that was talking (bragging) about the fact that about half of Iowa's conference games this year were going to be on one of the ESPN outlets (not sure if that included ESPN3 or ESPN Watch). That was a big deal! (What was the Big Ten Network for again?) I had to laugh when I, of course, took a look at ISU's conference schedule and noticed that each and every conference game was on one (or more) of the ESPN outlets, plus 5 of the non-conference ISU games had been on ESPN outlets, one had been on the Big Ten Network, and another had been on CBS Sports Network. I don't think the Big Ten network is doing for the Big Ten schools (at least Iowa and some others) quite what was thought from the beginning. I think the Cyclones.tv is a much better approach and more valuable tool for schools. Not necessarily for national exposure, but just for keeping and expanding your fan base.

How many of Iowa's tournament games will be on national TV.

Careful, trick question.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

I'd like to say it's because ISU is winning, but if you look at Tech and TCU's schedule they're still on ESPN2 and U a ton.

Only diff is the top teams are ESPN and 2, the bottom on the U more often.

With 10 teams and the current TV deal it really can't be beat for national games. I'm sure if we had 2 or 4 more teams they wouldn't all be on ESPN/2/U every game, especially on a saturday where all 12 or 14 played.

Football is another story, it's certainly better than years past but still not great.