Women's March Madness: Cyclones vs Texas A&M 6 p.m. ESPN2

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
I did some digging about the referees for our game last night. This is the referee who called the infamous "jump ball" with the 10 sec left in the regulation.

Melissa Barlow (PAC-12)

fresno-cs-usa-20th-dec-2013-december-20-2013-fresno-ca-longtime-ncaa-dnce2h.jpg

When the sequence happened, there were two referees in proximity. The male referee who situated by the baseline with Lexi and the basketball facing him didn't call anything. Yet, Barlow who stood by the sideline and could only see Lexi's back and #2 TAMU player made the jump ball call.

I agree with LaChina Robison's assessment of the situation.

For a ref who has been officiating WBB for nearly 30 years, it's really a shame. Because she's the lead referee of the crew, the other male referee swallowed his whistle when Ashley got fouled under the basket with 3 sec left in the regulation (see Georges Niang's tweets). Coincidence? I don't think so.

It appears this is not the first time she has been involved in an officiating controversy.

1) Kim Mulkey ripped off her jacket in a 2013 NCAA regional semi-final vs Louisville when Barlow called a charge on a Baylor player (actually a flop by a Louisville player IMO) in the final seconds of the game.

https://www.oklahoman.com/article/3...ylor-coach-kim-mulkey-critical-of-officiating

2) https://www.statesman.com/article/20120901/SPORTS/308997287

I guess she will not be assigned to officiate any ISU game in the near future.

Last edited:

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I didn't some digging about the referees for our game last night. This is the referee who called the infamous "jump ball" with the 10 sec left in the regulation.

Melissa Barlow (PAC-12)

When the sequence happened, there were two referees in proximity. The male referee who situated by the baseline with Lexi and the basketball facing him didn't call anything. Yet, Barlow who stood by the sideline and could only see Lexi's back and #2 TAMU player made the jump ball call.

For a ref who has been officiating WBB for nearly 30 years, it's really a shame. Because she's the lead referee of the crew, the other male referee swallowed his whistle when Ashley got fouled under the basket with 3 sec left in the regulation (see Georges Niang's tweets). Coincidence? I don't think so.

It appears this is not the first time she has been involved in an officiating controversy.

1) Kim Mulkey ripped off her jacket in a 2013 NCAA regional final vs Louisville when Barlow called a charge on a Baylor player (actually a flop by a Louisville player IMO) in the final seconds of the game.

https://www.oklahoman.com/article/3...ylor-coach-kim-mulkey-critical-of-officiating

sgQKrJ.gif

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I did a technical analysis of ISU shooting and turnovers of the game. I hope you guys find it useful.

The following is the ISU vs TAMU shot chart (from ESPN). ISU's on the left.

View attachment 83282

Wow, the shot chart tells much of the story of the game. Perhaps the one important point that hasn't been made is how many points TAM gave up by taking very long 2's, at least 4 of which were on the 3-point line. We noticed it during the game and thought the game could have easily been tied much earlier. According to this chart, they left 9 points on the floor!

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
He's got some real issues. Still can't believe someone with the poise and self-control like Ashley Joens has him for a father.

This team has amazing self-control. Even after the final basket, they all just went to the bench. No demonstrations after bad calls/non-calls by the refs or even after the tragic loss. Great maturity.

Last edited:

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I did some digging about the referees for our game last night. This is the referee who called the infamous "jump ball" with the 10 sec left in the regulation.

Melissa Barlow (PAC-12)

1) Kim Mulkey ripped off her jacket in a 2013 NCAA regional final vs Louisville when Barlow called a charge on a Baylor player (actually a flop by a Louisville player IMO) in the final seconds of the game.

The jump ball call bothers me the most of all. The non-call at the end with Ashley was a missed call, but I guess I can understand letting the play a bit that late. The phantom call on Ryan on the "and-1", I can see how that looked like a foul with the way she fell.

With the jump ball call coming that quick and with no obvious dual possession, it's clear she wasn't reacting to the action but rather she had decided she was calling a jump ball. Keep in mind this came on the heels of a somewhat controversial call prior where they called a foul right before someone stole the ball from Ashley on a double team. I think she had it in her head the next close call she was calling a jump ball rather than a foul with how quick that whistle came and with the obvious lack of dual possession.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

Melissa Barlow (PAC-12)

The jump ball call bothers me the most of all. The non-call at the end with Ashley was a missed call, but I guess I can understand letting the play a bit that late. The phantom call on Ryan on the "and-1", I can see how that looked like a foul with the way she fell.

With the jump ball call coming that quick and with no obvious dual possession, it's clear she wasn't reacting to the action but rather she had decided she was calling a jump ball. Keep in mind this came on the heels of a somewhat controversial call prior where they called a foul right before someone stole the ball from Ashley on a double team. I think she had it in her head the next close call she was calling a jump ball rather than a foul with how quick that whistle came and with the obvious lack of dual possession.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Wasn't sure which thread to drop this in, but I guess that doesn't matter. Kinda cool that we were the second most-watched 2nd round wbb game this year, not that far behind #1.

• Informative
Reactions: cyclone13 and Cycsk

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway

UConn has now merged this thread. Interesting discussion.

"Geno always says one play doesn't cost you a game, but one play can win you a game".

"Worst example of one team being cheated that I have ever seen, worse than the 1972 Olympics game. All the refs in the game should be fired. I am shocked Fennely never got a technical, Geno would have gotten tossed in the 1st quarter. Does anyone know if the same refs were involved in TAM and Troy"?

Also discuss why Kristin Scott didn't play more. Most are very knowledgeable fans.

Last one & this one made me laugh...
"Officiating is not an exact science, and most coaches know the 50-50 calls will balance out over the course of a game, as will judgement calls, but the calls that started this thread were neither of those, and they came at game point. The phantom jump ball call and the no—call with 3 seconds left had nothing to do with science at all, and to quote Abe Lemons on the non-call, “there are places that you would have got jail time for that”.

BTW, my favorite Abe Lemons quote was about scheduling: “we went to a tournament in Alaska and they called us honorary Alaskans, then we went to Hawaii and they called us honorary Hawaiians, this year we are going to the Virgin Islands”.

Last edited:

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
I got an idea. Next season if both conferences agree, let's schedule ISU vs Texas A&M in the Big12-SEC challenge. Let them come to Hilton so we can beat the crap out of them. We have given you the Sweet Sixteen, next time we will celebrate with Sweet Caroline.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa

UConn has now merged this thread. Interesting discussion.

"Geno always says one play doesn't cost you a game, but one play can win you a game".

"Worst example of one team being cheated that I have ever seen, worse than the 1972 Olympics game. All the refs in the game should be fired. I am shocked Fennely never got a technical, Geno would have gotten tossed in the 1st quarter. Does anyone know if the same refs were involved in TAM and Troy"?

Also discuss why Kristin Scott didn't play more. Most are very knowledgeable fans.

Last one & this one made me laugh...
"Officiating is not an exact science, and most coaches know the 50-50 calls will balance out over the course of a game, as will judgement calls, but the calls that started this thread were neither of those, and they came at game point. The phantom jump ball call and the no—call with 3 seconds left had nothing to do with science at all, and to quote Abe Lemons on the non-call, “there are places that you would have got jail time for that”.

BTW, my favorite Abe Lemons quote was about scheduling: “we went to a tournament in Alaska and they called us honorary Alaskans, then we went to Hawaii and they called us honorary Hawaiians, this year we are going to the Virgin Islands”.

Kristin Scott has had shin problems all year. I don't know if they are stress fractures or just bad shin splints but either way she tried to play through it. I have had them my daughters turned into double stress fractures and there is nothing more painful. You can K tape it, sleeve it. ice it but ultimately nothing but rest is a solution.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
I got an idea. Next season if both conferences agree, let's schedule ISU vs Texas A&M in the Big12-SEC challenge. Let them come to Hilton so we can beat the crap out of them. We have given you the Sweet Sixteen, next time we will celebrate with Sweet Caroline.

I was with you until you mentioned Sweet Caroline and then I gagged just a little bit.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron