Where: Alamodome (South Court) - San Antonio, Texas
When: Wednesday, March 24 at 6 PM
Projected Starting Lineup: Kristin Scott, Ashley Joens, Kylie Feuerbach, Emily Ryan, Lexi Donarski
Radio: Cyclone Radio Network/Learfield
Talent: Noah Wolf, Jamie Steyer
Talent: Courtney Lyle, Carolyn Peck
Iowa State women's basketball team advanced to the second round for the 12th time in school history. Iowa State also advanced to the Round of 32 in back-to-back NCAA Tournaments, having done so in 2018-19. The 7th-seeded Cyclones will face No. 2 seed Texas A&M, who were the regular-season SEC Champions. In ISU's NCAA First Round, win Ashley Joens broke the school record for most points in a tournament game with 33, while Madison Wise posted a double double in the win.
- Ashley Joens earned Sports Illustrated Second-Team All-America honorsto close the season. The junior is seventh in the nation in scoring, averaging a school record 23.9 points a game. She also leads all juniors in career scoring with 1,648 career points.
- Joens is one of three players in the nation averaging over 23+ points and 9.0+ rebounds per game, joining Big Ten Player of the Year Naz Hillmon and FGCU's Kierstan Bell.
- Lexi Donarski was the unanimous Big 12 Freshman of the Year, becoming the first Cyclone since 1998 (Megan Taylor) to earn the honor. Donarski was the only freshman in the league to average double figures, with 12.8 points per game.
- Ashley Joens earned Unanimous All-Big 12 First-Team honors for the second-straight season, after leading the Big 12 in scoring for the second-straight year.
- Senior Kristin Scott earned Second-Team All-Big 12 honors for the second time in her career, while Emily Ryan was the only other unanimous selection to the All-Freshman Team.
- For the third-straight season, Iowa State has won 10 or more Big 12 games (2019-20, 10-8 and 2020-21, 13-5). ISU nabbed 12 wins in conference action for the eighth time in school history. ISU's 12 wins, ties for third in school history.
- Iowa State prevailed against No. 10 seed Michigan State, 79-75 behind stellar performances by Ashley Joens and Madison Wise.
- Ashley Joens led the way in typical Joens fashion setting an ISU NCAA Tournament record with 33 points in just 29 minutes. She also added nine rebounds and went 10-22 from the field against the Spartans.
- Madison Wise was massive for the Cyclones with season-highs in points (13) and rebounds (11).
- Iowa State is one of 19 teams to advance to the NCAA Second Round in each of the last two NCAA Tournaments.
- Iowa State is 19-18 all-time in the NCAA Tournament.
- The Cyclones have had 19 total appearances in the Big Dance, all coming under head coach Bill Fennelly.
- Iowa State has earned the No. 7 seed a total of five times in their 19 appearances, and Monday's win marks the second time Iowa State has advanced as a No. 7 seed.
- Iowa State last earned a tournament berth in 2018-19, advancing to the NCAA Second Round. ISU was hoping to hear its name called after an 18-11 campaign that ended with a regular season win over No. 2 Baylor, before the Big 12 Tournament and NCAA Tournament were cancelled due to COVID-19.