Woman Killed By Train In Ames

Status
Not open for further replies.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
13th and Hyland... how do you even end up on the tracks if you're near there? IIRC hyland doesnt cross the tracks, and the tracks dont cross 13th at street level..

Sucks, probably is a student, not been a great few weeks.

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
13th and Hyland... how do you even end up on the tracks if you're near there?

Sucks, probably is a student, not been a great few weeks.

Kinda what I was thinking...... there is no reason to be up by the tracks.
Wonder if she was walking on the tracks or trying to cut through to I don't know where :sad:

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Kinda what I was thinking...... there is no reason to be up by the tracks.
Wonder if she was walking on the tracks or trying to cut through to I don't know where :sad:
Yeah, thats the odd thing... if you're heading north from campustown, crossing those tracks is only going to get you to the golf course...

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
Watch the KCCI video. Apparently there is a path back there. Might have stumbling back to Freddy court or something. I don't know. Its been a rough semester at ISU if this is a student. 3 kids in one semester?

wesley_w

Oct 23, 2006
One of my hobbies is photographing trains and I usually go to that exact spot a couple times each summer. From the street side there is no path that I'm aware of, you really have to want to be on the tracks to get there. Lots of heavy brush and sticker bushes.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
13th and Hyland... how do you even end up on the tracks if you're near there? IIRC hyland doesnt cross the tracks, and the tracks dont cross 13th at street level.

The tracks are level with the intersection, albeit north of the intersection. 13th drops way off heading east to go under the tracks. There is a clearing north of the Hyland/13th/Ontario stoplight, easily accessible on foot.

wesley_w

Oct 23, 2006
The tracks are level with the intersection, albeit north of the intersection. 13th drops way off heading east to go under the tracks. There is a clearing north of the Hyland/13th/Ontario stoplight, easily accessible on foot.

There is a clearing but to get down on the tracks you have to go through some heavy brush and it's not all that easy.

A-town Cy

Aug 4, 2006
Huxley
My first thought was suicide. If you're on the tracks you're going to hear/see a train and then hop off the tracks.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
There is a clearing but to get down on the tracks you have to go through some heavy brush and it's not all that easy.
Being that its still spring, would the brush really be all that heavy this early in the year?? I'd imagine that you can access it fairly easily right now, without having to walk through a lot of vegetation.

dtclones

Sep 15, 2009
Des Moines
My first thought was suicide. If you're on the tracks you're going to hear/see a train and then hop off the tracks.

I kind of thought that too, but if you're going to kill yourself, are you really going to stand on railroad tracks waiting for a train to come?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Couldve also been drunk and didnt notice the train until too late\wasnt able to move quickly enough.. She was headed from campustown after all. Hate to throw about the suicide thing so quickly..

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Ames has an out of whack number of people being killed due to wandering on to the tracks compared to other towns. Working for the railroad and being from Ames, it's extremely frustrating that people just can't seem to get it through their heads that railroad tracks are very dangerous and they need to stay the **** off of them. They seriously have been throwing around the idea of fencing in the entire tracks through Ames so that people will keep off of them.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Ames has an out of whack number of people being killed due to wandering on to the tracks compared to other towns. Working for the railroad and being from Ames, it's extremely frustrating that people just can't seem to get it through their heads that railroad tracks are very dangerous and they need to stay the **** off of them. They seriously have been throwing around the idea of fencing in the entire tracks through Ames so that people will keep off of them.

probably wouldnt be a bad idea.

Though if it is statistically a high level in ames, how fast do the trains move through ames compared to through other towns? They book it pretty fast through ames, maybe they should be slowed coming through town.

Last edited:

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA

See College Station, TX...only took one Foreign student to openly committ suicide (and of course 1000's walking across daily) on the tracks through campus for the fences to go up. I think it's a good idea, expensive, but good.

wesley_w

Oct 23, 2006
Being that its still spring, would the brush really be all that heavy this early in the year?? I'd imagine that you can access it fairly easily right now, without having to walk through a lot of vegetation.

You're probably right, I usually don't go down there till summer when the growth is at it's peak.

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
probably wouldnt be a bad idea.

Though if it is statistically a high level in ames, how fast do the trains move through ames compared to through other towns? They book it pretty fast through ames, maybe they should be slowed coming through town.

They run about 40 mph through most of Ames, where the top speed on the line is 70.

FDWxMan

Jan 31, 2009
Des Moines
They run about 40 mph through most of Ames, where the top speed on the line is 70.

That still seems way too fast for trains, in town. I remember the trains absolutely flying through when I lived there...faster than just about any town of that size that I've seen in Iowa.

Of course, if you get hit by the train it isn't really going to make a difference, but I'm pretty sure they could stand to dial it back a bit before roaring through a town when you have tracks sitting right in the approach to stoplights where people will be slowing down...not stopping I hope, but slowing. Always seems like the trains in Des Moines are not going as fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Help Support Us

Become a patron