Winter Weather 1/25-1/28

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
schools letting out early. Some only gave parents a 30 min notice. That is how quickly things are turning bad. Also west of des moines around the new waukee exit there are cars everywhere in the ditch. sheet of ice in many places on the interstate around the metro

Yeah you know it's bad when schools have an early dismissal for weather these days.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
schools letting out early. Some only gave parents a 30 min notice. That is how quickly things are turning bad. Also west of des moines around the new waukee exit there are cars everywhere in the ditch. sheet of ice in many places on the interstate around the metro

The wind is reeking havoc. I don't even want to see my driveway tonight, the drifting is going to be huge. I plowed it this morning, went inside to finish getting ready and when I went to leave the drifts were already reforming.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Last night’s, combined with the side piles from the previous snow, were a little too much for the 4 wheeler today. Was able to get enough of a pass to allow a car to get out, but no chance of clearing more to make the run up feasible. Had to bring in the big guns (truck with blade), and now it looks “OK”. Another round though, and I may just hole up until spring.
Might I suggest this...

train.jpg

This might be enough...maybe, given the forecast.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
We delayed 2 hours down here in Southern Iowa, so I got to work at 10:00, we had 2 buses drive in the ditch. By 11:00 we announced that we would be getting out at 1:00.
I had students all morning complaining about the rural roads. As we were leaving we received an email not to take a paved road that I usually take, it was down to one lane because of blowing snow. Doubt we go tomorrow.

At least have plenty of beer for the weekend. Enjoy the weather, the only thing keeping me going is I am 31 days from our cruise to the Caribbean. God winter SUCKS.

Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
084BFC50-E519-4C4E-BE7F-0051DDCA7CD1.jpeg

State highway outside of town. Stay safe folks. Lots of drifting especially if you’re heading south.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
The wind is reeking havoc. I don't even want to see my driveway tonight, the drifting is going to be huge. I plowed it this morning, went inside to finish getting ready and when I went to leave the drifts were already reforming.
went out and cleared the 3ft snow drifts this afternoon around 4pm with the neighbor on our little off shoot of the street, all ready have more drifts forming. had to put the truck in 4wd to get back into the drive way after running an errand.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
went out and cleared the 3ft snow drifts this afternoon around 4pm with the neighbor on our little off shoot of the street, all ready have more drifts forming. had to put the truck in 4wd to get back into the drive way after running an errand.

lucky my drifts weren't as bad as I expected

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
More rural schools cancelled in eastern Iowa for cold and blowing snow.

My sisters school was open today. Closed Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday.

I wonder if there’s a district closed all week?

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa

Washington and Sigourney schools and most of the schools around the area are closed tomorrow and have been every day this week and got out early last Friday at 1.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
We already have a 2 hour delay tomorrow, and with the drifting and cold temps, I would wager we will not be going tomorrow.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA

We had the truck get stuck tonight attempting to clear drifts. Had to bring in the skid loader. Unreal.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008

Another thing to keep in mind is a lot of schools had Monday off for MLK day. There are a decent number of schools around the Cedar Valley area that are looking like they might not have any school this week

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
Two of
funny-gifs-You-steal-my-parking-spot-ok.gif
the dickheads that passed me yesterday playing nascar were in the ditch this am

Reactions: Scott34

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
Another thing to keep in mind is a lot of schools had Monday off for MLK day. There are a decent number of schools around the Cedar Valley area that are looking like they might not have any school this week

Thursday was the only day my kids had school. And they canceled the last 2 hours due to the windchills.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
Accuweather now calling for 6-10 inches of snow Sunday night into Monday across Eastern Iowa. So far they have been the most accurate source I have seen.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
Accuweather now calling for 6-10 inches of snow Sunday night into Monday across Eastern Iowa. So far they have been the most accurate source I have seen.

Cripes, just shoot me now. I work from home and the kids have been out of school nearly all week. From the look of things, they'll be home most of next week too.