Willie Miklus transferring to ISU

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
I could see 8+ qualifiers, but that is also assuming the team stays relatively healthy and continue to improve. With the updated lineup:
125- Mackall (Should qualify)
133- Gomez (AA contender)
141- Parker (should qualify and fringe AA contender if healthy)
149- Degen (AA contender)
157- Straw (almost qualified last year. Have him as a should qualify right now, but he needs to continue improving)
165- Jennings or St. John (probably not going to make it at this weight, but you never know)
174- Coleman (Freshman, but I think he will qualify)
184- Colbray (depends on how he handles the cut. Could be anywhere from a high AA with his talent to not qualifying. I'll go with he qualifies right now)
197- Miklus (AA contender)
HWT- Gremmel or Anderson (should qualify but won't know until we see them wrestle a few matches)

Overall a much better lineup, and it's possible we get 9-10. But given everything that can happen in a season with injuries and not knowing how the freshman will compete for a full season, I'd be happy with getting 6-8 this year while continuing to show development and improve as the season goes on.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
I got Gomez, Parker, Degen, and Miklus as almost assuredly qualifiers. On the next tier I have Coleman, Colbray, and Straw as likely qualifiers, but not 100%.

Then you have Mckall, Anderson, and Jennings as who the heck knows.

Get the 4 locks, 2/3 of the likely and 1 of the last group for 7. That’d be amazing improvement.

SimpsonCyclone

Jul 20, 2011
Iowa
I got Gomez, Parker, Degen, and Miklus as almost assuredly qualifiers. On the next tier I have Coleman, Colbray, and Straw as likely qualifiers, but not 100%.

Then you have Mckall, Anderson, and Jennings as who the heck knows.

Get the 4 locks, 2/3 of the likely and 1 of the last group for 7. That’d be amazing improvement.
People keep sleeping on Mackall

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Getting in the top 33 is one thing, getting to AA is another.

Health will be big. I think between Mackall & Small, one will step up and be an NQ.

Most of Mackall matches have been at 133

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I don’t think anyone is going to bet we have 10 National qualifiers, but to get 8 is very possible.

Be interesting how Colbray handles the cut to 184, if that is happening.

Keeping Miklus healthy is big

SimpsonCyclone

Jul 20, 2011
Iowa
A lot of guys were or have been AAs in Akron that don't or won't AA at D1s. I'm with crablegs but I hope I'm wrong.
Uhh I’m not saying Mackall is going to be an AA. I’m saying he is better than the tier he was being placed on. Crablegs was saying he was 3rd tier of guys, I disagree and so does the staff (and the most recent results)

• Agree
Reactions: Cypwr and CyTwins

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Mackall will definitely be a huge improvement. Of the 8 AAs at 125 last year, all but 2 (Tomasello and Cruz) return though. This of course doesn’t take into consideration any possible upward movement, but the weight class will be stacked again.

Rather

Jul 21, 2014
I’m curious why the prevailing assumption is that we’ll redshirt Carr. He seems pretty competition ready, and from what little research I’ve done, it’s not necessarily Dresser’s MO to redshirt blue chips.

• Agree
Reactions: SimpsonCyclone

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I’m curious why the prevailing assumption is that we’ll redshirt Carr. He seems pretty competition ready, and from what little research I’ve done, it’s not necessarily Dresser’s MO to redshirt blue chips.

It was talked about at a Cleveland social. Basically the team is not ready to challenge for a trophy, so they want to keep Carr's redshirt on.

David Carr indicated he would be open to wrestling next year, but Zadick said that decision would not be decided until later in the season

• Informative

SimpsonCyclone

Jul 20, 2011
Iowa
Mackall will definitely be a huge improvement. Of the 8 AAs at 125 last year, all but 2 (Tomasello and Cruz) return though. This of course doesn’t take into consideration any possible upward movement, but the weight class will be stacked again.
I totally agree. I would be blown away if he AAs..but I think he definitely can/should be a NQ (IF) he stays healthy all year. I just personally think he has as good of a chance as some of the others that crablegs listed ahead of him.

SimpsonCyclone

Jul 20, 2011
Iowa
It was talked about at a Cleveland social. Basically the team is not ready to challenge for a trophy, so they want to keep Carr's redshirt on.

David Carr indicated he would be open to wrestling next year, but Zadick said that decision would not be decided until later in the season
IF he is ready, I’d love to see him compete. Seeing a stud blue chip compete for a title as a true freshman can help recruiting other studs too

Rather

Jul 21, 2014

Good to know. FWIW, to me that sounds like while they’re (wisely) setting expectations, it’s on the table. If we’re talking best case scenarios, the team doesn’t have such a slow start, Carr looks as advertised at open tournaments, and he’s starting in the first January dual.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
Uhh I’m not saying Mackall is going to be an AA. I’m saying he is better than the tier he was being placed on. Crablegs was saying he was 3rd tier of guys, I disagree and so does the staff (and the most recent results)

This is a well taken point. I've seen some lofty type expectations for him. Making the NCAAs isn't lofty for him, now that I think about it.

• Friendly

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron