Williams & Blum Pod: What should the Big 12 target in the league's next commish?

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
Enjoy.

Reactions: Cycrapids

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
I know we're all begging and being difficult and ******** and whatever. But is there anyway you could do a transcript of this and future podcasts? Even if it's not 100% accurate and a computer generated one. I read way faster than I listen and don't do podcasts much anyway.

I love the content just want it in multiple ways! You do you and you're more than welcome to tell me to f off Chris and Co!

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I know we're all begging and being difficult and ******** and whatever. But is there anyway you could do a transcript of this and future podcasts? Even if it's not 100% accurate and a computer generated one. I read way faster than I listen and don't do podcasts much anyway.

I love the content just want it in multiple ways! You do you and you're more than welcome to tell me to f off Chris and Co!

I would like a transcript, but I also like to listen to the guys. There is a lot that comes from the tone, banter, laughs, etc.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
@brentblum @ChrisMWilliams

Please say more about "rolling divisions." What would relegation look like for the Big 12? And would it be different for each sport?

JimDogRock

Feb 21, 2010
Cedar Falls
@brentblum @ChrisMWilliams

Please say more about "rolling divisions." What would relegation look like for the Big 12? And would it be different for each sport?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Promotion_and_relegation

"In a system of promotion and relegation, the best-ranked team(s) in the lower division are promoted to the higher division for the next season, and the worst-ranked team(s) in the higher division are relegated to the lower division for the next season. In some leagues, playoffs or qualifying rounds are also used to determine rankings."

It's a fun idea to think about. Generally, this type of league system would be for a sport that plays way more games per season than college football. Basketball could work decently, but if there are only 8 or 9 games to decide the promotion/relegation that's too small of a sample size I think.

There can be lots of ways to play with the scheduling, but normally there is a focus on playing the most games within a team's current grouping or division. If you're the top of that by whatever threshold or measurement then you move up and vice versa.

Do you draw the divisions by geography to start? Current ranking? 5 year average rank?
And does Kansas ever get out of the lowest division? In theory, they, or whatever lower tier team you focus on, would have a better chance at overall success due to playing the also lower-tiered teams of the conference more often.

Last edited:

Daserop

Feb 9, 2011
The Bebop

"In a system of promotion and relegation, the best-ranked team(s) in the lower division are promoted to the higher division for the next season, and the worst-ranked team(s) in the higher division are relegated to the lower division for the next season. In some leagues, playoffs or qualifying rounds are also used to determine rankings."

It's a fun idea to think about. Generally, this type of league system would be for a sport that plays way more games per season than college football. Basketball could work decently, but if there are only 8 or 9 games to decide the promotion/relegation that's too small of a sample size I think.

There can be lots of ways to play with the scheduling, but normally there is a focus on playing the most games within a team's current grouping or division. If you're the top of that by whatever threshold or measurement then you move up and vice versa.

Do you draw the divisions by geography to start? Current ranking? 5 year average rank?
And does Kansas ever get out of the lowest division? In theory, they, or whatever lower tier team you focus on, would have a better chance at overall success due to playing the also lower-tiered teams of the conference more often.
This. A lot of E-sports do this; for instance DOTA 2.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009

Is there any benefit to a conference stacking their best teams into a pod or division? It seems like with the way college football is set up you’d want to do the opposite of that.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I haven't listened yet, but promotion and relegation is a bad idea for college sports, where your most experienced players are being timed out for eligibility reasons and replaced by inexperienced ones, and NIL now would permit poaching of the best players from relegated teams to the upper division ones.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia

Interesting concept, but without parity built into the recruiting and delegated to allow for bottom dwellers to compete, this is a failed concept. Just my opinion.

• Agree
Reactions: Die4Cy

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I wouldn't call it relegation as much as a redraw. Having one division of 1-6 and one of 7-12 is dumber than Legends and Leaders.

Take results for an even number of years (so the home/away matchups balance out and everyone gets to play everyone at least twice). After that period, the divisions get redrawn by conference record. Either S-curve it or go straight odd/even. Alignment can be geographically massaged if there are ties.

Example, using Big 12 standings from 1996-99, to reset for the 2000-03 cycle:

Team1996199719981999Total
Nebraska8-08-05-37-128-4 (T-1)
Colorado7-13-54-45-319-13 (T-5)
Kansas State6-27-18-07-128-4 (T-1)
Texas6-22-66-26-220-12 (4)
Texas Tech5-35-34-45-319-13 (T-5)
Texas A&M4-46-27-15-322-10 (3)
Missouri3-55-35-31-714-18 (7)
Oklahoma3-52-63-55-313-19 (T-8)
Kansas2-63-51-73-59-23 (10)
Oklahoma St.2-65-33-53-513-19 (T-8)
Iowa State1-71-71-71-74-28 (11)
Baylor1-71-71-70-83-29 (12)

Proposed Divisions:
NU (t1), UT (4), TTU (t5), MU (7), KU (10), ISU (11)
KSU (t1), A&M (3), CU (t5), OSU (t8), OU (t8), BU (12)

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com

I'd do it if the $ is right. :)

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com

I won't lie. This would be a total pain in the ass, but it is probably something we should look into. We just don't the man power to pull it off at this time. But your voice has respectfully been heard. Thank you for the input.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
The relegation/promotion idea is interesting, but with the turnover in college sports previous seasons aren’t a great predictor.
I think the other question is in regards to TV, let’s say you’ve got two separate divisions. What would be the best net TV draw - a game with two good teams (in the upper division) and a game with two bad teams in the lower division? Or would it be better to have all the teams together and have two games with two Upper level team vs two lower level teams.

I think the big misconception is that getting big matchups is always the best bet. For example, you have two games and Ohio State, Michigan, Maryland and Indiana. Would you rather have Ohio State vs Michigan and Indiana vs Maryland, or would you rather have Ohio State vs Indiana and Michigan vs Maryland?

Then throw in that if you stratify too much some big draw teams will be out of contention after a few weeks. They’ll still draw but it will take a hit. The networks and college football profits most if the most teams are within playoff and NY6 striking distance as long as possible. Stratification does the opposite.