Williams & Blum Pod: Reflecting on a long realignment journey for the Big 12

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
Impossible to know. But when the word gets out that Iowa State is not even close to average in NIL spending, you won’t even be able to make that first call to players. It’s like seeing a starting salary on a job application and crossing it off immediately.
If that's the basis for decision-making, we'll never compete with 800K.

Antihawk240

May 17, 2012
Hell yea! I max out my matching each year and excited to include WeWill in the make up.
Yep. Benevity is huge just for marketing purposes. "Contribute $25 a check and it turns into $50. Can't afford $25 a check? No problem, we understand, if you could contribute $12.50 then Benevity can turn it into $25 for you!" Benevity is huge.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

brentblum

Administrator
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2007
If that's the basis for decision-making, we'll never compete with 800K.
Correct but can we compete with $75k? That’s the goal. Or else the Marquette’s and DePaul’s and the entire Big 12 will be ahead of us. Again, I don’t agree with where the market is, but if we don’t increase our funds than we won’t keep some of our best players, logical or not.

CyPunch

May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
Haven't got a chance to listen yet so sorry if this was addressed but will Ames Lager be sold in the SEZ at football games and/or inside Johnny's for basketball games?

CyPunch

May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
Milan is going to be a pricey asset after this year. If things go according to plan with him, he'll have draft opportunities or be one of the best returning sophomores in the country in 2024.

At least we don't have to worry about Omaha either way. That was a gift.

Brent is right though. We need to get our s*** together in the next 4-6 months to compete in the NIL space. There's more to it than drinking Ames Lager.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Correct but can we compete with $75k? That’s the goal. Or else the Marquette’s and DePaul’s and the entire Big 12 will be ahead of us. Again, I don’t agree with where the market is, but if we don’t increase our funds than we won’t keep some of our best players, logical or not.

Do you guys have an idea of what Ames Lager should get you on an annual basis? There is an Iowa poster that thinks the Iowa one will net them about a million a year, that seems rather high.

brentblum

Administrator
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2007
Do you guys have an idea of what Ames Lager should get you on an annual basis? There is an Iowa poster that thinks the Iowa one will net them about a million a year, that seems rather high.
Honestly have no idea. I'm hopeful it will be in low-mid six figures, but it's just hard to know what the interest and capacity will be. It will be available in the premium areas (i.e. Sukup, Johnny's suites, etc) of Iowa State though, which is great. Ames Lager will definitely help, but we still need those $10, $20 a month donations from as many Cyclone fans as we can to bridge the gap that exists with us and our peers we're recruiting against daily. I don't think this Collectives, etc. are long-term situations as this will get regulated in some capacity, but I want to make sure our coaches are given the best opportunities for success until that happens. Appreciate you all!

CyPunch

May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA

They made $58,000 in their first full month - July. So roughly $290k in gross revenue netting $58k (20%) for the collective. A million per year seems ambitious but they will probably make a good chunk during football season.

I'd imagine you will do really well on beer sales at the beginning when the product has a lot of hype and seasonally during summer months and fall football. Sales might taper off in the winter/spring.

Thinking ahead. A cool idea may be to somehow have WeWill sold for the Big 12 tournament in KC next March. Keg(s) at Kelly's on Wednesday night would be a hit.

Last edited:

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
The tidbit about conferences doing revenue sharing for NIL is interesting.

Would solidify true haves and the have nots with the B10 and SEC, but splitting media revenue is the right thing to do for the athletes vs squeezing more out of the fans. We’ll see

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Honestly have no idea. I'm hopeful it will be in low-mid six figures, but it's just hard to know what the interest and capacity will be. It will be available in the premium areas (i.e. Sukup, Johnny's suites, etc) of Iowa State though, which is great. Ames Lager will definitely help, but we still need those $10, $20 a month donations from as many Cyclone fans as we can to bridge the gap that exists with us and our peers we're recruiting against daily. I don't think this Collectives, etc. are long-term situations as this will get regulated in some capacity, but I want to make sure our coaches are given the best opportunities for success until that happens. Appreciate you all!
I'm going to stock up when I go down to Iowa. Wish it would be available in the cities as I would always have a couple 12 packs or whatever they sell in my beer fridge!

Reactions: brentblum

mitchforcy

Dec 1, 2009
500K would be a good, attainable goal I would think. Which we be awesome to have as passive income on a year by year basis.

cyman05

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2010
@brentblum - not sure if you can share but a couple questions:
1. If athletic dept revenues are allowed to go directly to the players is that a good thing or bad? It would open up potentially a little more money (although I’m sure Pollard runs the budget lean already) but any increase in tv money and CFP money over time from the B12 would be dwarfed by the increases from the B10 and SEC
2. If we’re bottom 10 percent how far is that behind in terms of a total dollar amount from the average?

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
I hate to kick the dust up about it but didn't Hunter also just not like ISU/Ames?

That's not to say that someone couldn't love the place but still walk for better money but I got the impression he wanted out either way.
Given that Hunter wasn't recruited by Otz, I don't think he is the best example to use for ISU's NIL challenges.

Same with Isheem Young, it is my understanding that the staff didn't exactly make a significant push to retain him via NIL.

Outside of those two, what other player of note has left the ISU BB and FB programs solely due to NIL? Craig McDonald doesn't count.

Reactions: madguy30

Allikat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2018
Our family tailgate brings a quite large crowd and I've already sent an update to everyone saying they must come to our spot with We Will beer every Saturday or they're not invited.
Joking aside, this is probably one of the best things we can do - namely, raise awareness of the We Will Collective and the OPPORTUNITY to help to other Cyclone fans.

There are many fans who are not on Cyclone Fanatic and may not understand the dynamics and how they can help if they want to.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
The tidbit about conferences doing revenue sharing for NIL is interesting.

Would solidify true haves and the have nots with the B10 and SEC, but splitting media revenue is the right thing to do for the athletes vs squeezing more out of the fans. We’ll see

Sounds like a much less chaotic way of doing things and offering a chance of stability for everyone involved.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

mitchforcy

Dec 1, 2009
Joking aside, this is probably one of the best things we can do - namely, raise awareness of the We Will Collective and the OPPORTUNITY to help to other Cyclone fans.

There are many fans who are not on Cyclone Fanatic and may not understand the dynamics and how they can help if they want to.
As important it is for people to drink Ames lager direct donations to WeWill are better.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Sounds like a much less chaotic way of doing things and offering a chance of stability for everyone involved.

Ultimately the TV revenue is the money being made off the backs of the athletes, so it makes sense that would be the pool to pull from. Fan/donor money isn’t infinite.

Disparities between conferences could be potentially problematic, but might be the only thing preventing an antitrust investigation in the end.

Really hoping this settles down and they figure something out.

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
Does anyone know the difference between the clone fest beer and Ames lager? I know the Ames Lager goes to the WeWill but is clone fest just for the university in general no connections to NIL?

CyPunch

May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
Does anyone know the difference between the clone fest beer and Ames lager? I know the Ames Lager goes to the WeWill but is clone fest just for the university in general no connections to NIL?

CloneFest (Backpocket Brewing) has been around, it isn't a new product. The only change was that the athletic department is now officially endorsing it. Some portion of the proceeds goes to the athletic department now I believe. However, there seems to be some unknowns as to exactly how much that is.

Ames Lager (WestO Brewing) directly supports the WeWill Collective. I believe roughly 20% of every dollar spent on Ames Lager goes to our Collective. @brentblum could probably give us a more exact breakdown.

In my opinion, it will help Iowa State more to support Ames Lager and the WeWill Collective.