Williams & Blum Pod: ISU Football in 2022; analyzing basketball in the Big 12 race

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
Enjoy.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Always enjoy hearing you guys give your thoughts. Impressive demonstration of staying on topic too.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Always like the pod but I just can't get myself to feel as good/optimistic as you two about the football team after a loss to end a 7-6 season, even if it was to an elite program (which had a down year).

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
Always like the pod but I just can't get myself to feel as good/optimistic as you two about the football team after a loss to end a 7-6 season, even if it was to an elite program (which had a down year).

I’m here too. The same script played itself out multiple times (fall behind early…. scramble to get back in the game… come up short). There’s something structurally wrong with the offense. Unlike the defense, there is no identity to hang their hat on. Going to miss Purdy a lot. Despite too many WTF moments, he was a steadying influence on that side of the ball.

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
I think we’ll still be decent. 6-6 7-5 is realistic next year mattering on how Dekkers plays.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Why? Games have been close and if we don't turn the ball over, we win last year without issue. We had four turnovers, IIRC, and our punting was terrible. Campbell is brining in a punter, and I'm sure ball security will be brought up.

So I would like to know why we can't beat them next year?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Why? Games have been close and if we don't turn the ball over, we win last year without issue. We had four turnovers, IIRC, and our punting was terrible. Campbell is brining in a punter, and I'm sure ball security will be brought up.

For the same reasons they haven't beaten Iowa: when ISU needs to make a play, they don't. There's a mental block or something there. They play like they 'have' to win and forgot to just play their game.

Granted that happened a lot this year similar to 2019 but it's consistent with the Iowa game.

Maybe they come out and just play next year and do it but the general early season preparation will need to be revamped.

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD
For the same reasons they haven't beaten Iowa: when ISU needs to make a play, they don't. There's a mental block or something there. They play like they 'have' to win and forgot to just play their game.

Granted that happened a lot this year similar to 2019 but it's consistent with the Iowa game.

Maybe they come out and just play next year and do it but the general early season preparation will need to be revamped.
That and the game is in September.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008

I'm joking, but I do think ISU needs to get out to a faster start. September sets the tone and we usually spend the month finding ourselves and that has cost ISU.

• Agree
Reactions: BCClone