Will the BIG10 Reverse Their Decision?

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
I understand that, but that's a one-time surge, and it doesn't really answer the second part of my question.
I assume, the tests that are being done are surveillance testing tests to detect the virus. They are different from the CDC diagnostic testing. They are also faster because they check for less biomarkers, but are still very accurate with over 95% accuracy (the tests may have 5% false positives but impossible to not detect it if the virus is present). If the results come back positive they can then send it to the CDC diagnostic lab for diagnosis using the same sample, which is much more expensive. This is much cheaper because you aren't sending every test through the CDC, just the positives to confirm. Raw materials for the tests are not in short supply. The tests we are doing at my institution are about $13/test cost. We charge private companies about $17/test. We are also doing senior care facilities checking staff (state funded). This is really the only way of preventing spread...sorry to everyone who thinks temperature checks actually work.

Last edited:

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
If the % is less than the positive % for their age group in the general population, one could argue the safest place is to be in their schools Covid protocol.

If fewer % of athletes in the protocol get Covid, then fewer athletes will get Myocarditis.

Guy on Murph and Andy yesterday said that 6% of athletes have gotten it and the positive cases went way down after they first got back on campus.

If there is a 6% or less positive rate among the general student population this fall I'd be absolutely shocked. Blown away actually. As of right now, there is nothing to suggest they are less safe playing football than just going to school. And since they won't be starting games until a few weeks after students get on campus, we'll know if that causes outbreaks in the teams or not.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Guy on Murph and Andy yesterday said that 6% of athletes have gotten it and the positive cases went way down after they first got back on campus.

If there is a 6% or less positive rate among the general student population this fall I'd be absolutely shocked. Blown away actually. As of right now, there is nothing to suggest they are less safe playing football than just going to school. And since they won't be starting games until a few weeks after students get on campus, we'll know if that causes outbreaks in the teams or not.

This is the reason delaying and seeing what occurs was a good decision by the BIG 12 in my opinion rather than taking immediate step the Pac 12 and Big 10 did ending it on Tuesday. Safety is the most improtant aspect but we will all know more Sept 10th prior to the first game rather than August 10th and the decision can be made then.

Likely there will be a spike initially once students arrive on campus but it actually maybe safer for the FB team who is tested regularly and will have isolation protocols in place is a safer situation than the general student body. Too much money with long term reprecussion on all athletics to not try and see if it can work.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I think you owe it to the players too. We'll know right away how much of a crapshow campus is. If we see a spike in cases on campus but not on the teams, then we're good.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Great Title IX Podcast that really gets into this topic. Honestly I have not listened to their recent ones but that was really good.

The Big X clearly thought they were the big dogs and have been trying to influence all of the Conferences. And now they've had their bluff called. Usually a player will continue the bluff and raise the stakes until they are really up against the wall. Then we'll see what really happens.

Last edited:

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Great Title IX Podcast that really gets into this topic. Honestly I have not listened to their recent ones but that was really good.

The Big X clearly thought they were the big dogs and have been trying to influence all of the Conferences. And now they've had their bluff called. Usually a player will continue the bluff and raise the stacks until they are really up against the wall. Then we'll see what really happens.

The Big 10 will continue to call on the Athletic and SI to provide as much negative publicity to the other conferences as possible between now and mid-September. If the other Power 5 conferences proceed and actually complete the season successfully then the PAC-12 is completed ruined and a distant 5th in the Power 5. The Big 10 will survive but they will take a major hit on the recruiting trail and a fight from within the conference will continue to fester.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
The Big 10 will continue to call on the Athletic and SI to provide as much negative publicity to the other conferences as possible between now and mid-September. If the other Power 5 conferences proceed and actually complete the season successfully then the PAC-12 is completed ruined and a distant 5th in the Power 5. The Big 10 will survive but they will take a major hit on the recruiting trail and a fight from within the conference will continue to fester.
Your last 10 words give me goosebumps. Probably the #1 reason I want to see the three remaining conferences pull this off.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Your last 10 words give me goosebumps. Probably the #1 reason I want to see the three remaining conferences pull this off.

At this point, the 3 conferences realize it as well. I don't think anything is going to slow them down now barring a complete collapse in COVID controls with most teams.

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
It's obvious we should all just go back into quarantine and put our lives on hold until this COVID thing disappears. In the meantime, the government can just print more money and pass it out based upon past tax returns.

Afterall unsettled science should have the final say over our quality of life and mental health.

L

LincolnWay187

Regarding liability(conferences want to cancel or push due to this)....the Big10 is talking about a spring season..won't they be practicing/lifting prior to that season too. Couldn't football players just as easily sue for getting COVID during the "offseason"as they could just regularly playing games. I don't get it.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I think most 18-22 year olds have already been exposed through normal brazen activities this summer and the spike might not be what people think it will be when they get to campus, but we'll see...

'If I get corona, I get corona'.

Remember it also ran through plenty of college kids last spring...they should look for volunteers from kids who had it/tested positive to go out and see about reinfection/immunity.

FOREVERTRUE

Sep 18, 2017
Regarding liability(conferences want to cancel or push due to this)....the Big10 is talking about a spring season..won't they be practicing/lifting prior to that season too. Couldn't football players just as easily sue for getting COVID during the "offseason"as they could just regularly playing games. I don't get it.

Some of those B10 teams are still practicing now and show no signs of stopping practicing.

NodawayRiverClone

May 1, 2018
While visiting with a neighborhood dog-walker this morning, he mentioned he was moving a son to college today (don't know where the kid is going, walker was wearing a Nebraska shirt). I asked if he would be OK? Walker scoffed and said his other son had already gotten covid through work and only lost taste and smell for a few days - that half of people college age don't know they have it. So positive test numbers among general college population may explode, but probably have no effect on behavior overall. Seems like main problem teams will have is absences when a player tests positive - especially if the heart link is not pervasive.

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
I assume, the tests that are being done are surveillance testing tests to detect the virus. They are different from the CDC diagnostic testing. They are also faster because they check for less biomarkers, but are still very accurate with over 95% accuracy (the tests may have 5% false positives but impossible to not detect it if the virus is present). If the results come back positive they can then send it to the CDC diagnostic lab for diagnosis using the same sample, which is much more expensive. This is much cheaper because you aren't sending every test through the CDC, just the positives to confirm. Raw materials for the tests are not in short supply. The tests we are doing at my institution are about $13/test cost. We charge private companies about $17/test. We are also doing senior care facilities checking staff (state funded). This is really the only way of preventing spread...sorry to everyone who thinks temperature checks actually work.

who is sending testing to the CDC? State labs and private reference labs maybe. The CDC is not testing football teams that I know of.