Will the BIG10 Reverse Their Decision?

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
But people still get the flu and in turn get myocarditis. Same for myocarditis from the common cold, but I haven’t heard anyone concerned about athlete safety on myocarditis until COVID-19.

Maybe they'll start testing and monitoring for it in the future even after Covid. Similar to concussion protocols.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
IMO the Myocarditis concern seems like a false narrative that sounds good on the surface, but isn't a reason not to play. There maybe a hundred legitimate reasons not to play, but the Myocarditis issue doesn't seem to be one.

Here are Bowlsby's comments in a DMR article on August 12
  • The Big 12 has expanded its testing requirements. Previously, the league mandated just one test a week, 72 hours before competition. The conference will now require testing three times per week. “Testing is the best way to intersect early after infection,” Bowlsby said. “We need to do a rigorous testing regiment.”
  • The conference will also mandate a battery of tests — EKG, troponin blood test, echocardiogram and cardiac MRI — for those who test positive as concerns about myocarditis, a condition that can affect the heart muscle and its electrical system, have recently increased in relation to COVID-19 patients.

I would be curious to know what the Big 10 and Pac 12 frequency of testing is going to be. Will it be as frequent as 3x per week? After all Big 10 and Pac 12 athletes aren't going to be sitting on a couch over the next 6 months, they will be working out strenuously.

Sounds like the Big12 is going to do a series of tests for all athletes who test Covid-19 positive. That testing regime is the same protocol I saw mentioned by the Pac 12 expert from the University of Washington. So if a Big 12 athlete tests positive, undergoes the battery of tests, is found to have Myocarditis- they will be told to rest and not participate in sport activity. How is that MORE risky than the Big 10/Pac 12?

In fact if the Big10 and Pac 12 do not test as frequently (or athletes are off campus taking classes online), it seems to me Big10 and Pac 12 athletes may be more at risk.

If playing football on Saturdays is the heightened risk factor for college football players, it will never come to that. The NFL will reveal that issue when they start playing 2 weeks prior to the Big 12, SEC and ACC.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
IMO the Myocarditis concern seems like a false narrative that sounds good on the surface, but isn't a reason not to play. There maybe a hundred legitimate reasons not to play, but the Myocarditis issue doesn't seem to be one.

Here are Bowlsby's comments in a DMR article on August 12
  • The Big 12 has expanded its testing requirements. Previously, the league mandated just one test a week, 72 hours before competition. The conference will now require testing three times per week. “Testing is the best way to intersect early after infection,” Bowlsby said. “We need to do a rigorous testing regiment.”
  • The conference will also mandate a battery of tests — EKG, troponin blood test, echocardiogram and cardiac MRI — for those who test positive as concerns about myocarditis, a condition that can affect the heart muscle and its electrical system, have recently increased in relation to COVID-19 patients.

I would be curious to know what the Big 10 and Pac 12 frequency of testing is going to be. Will it be as frequent as 3x per week? After all Big 10 and Pac 12 athletes aren't going to be sitting on a couch over the next 6 months, they will be working out strenuously.

Sounds like the Big12 is going to do a series of tests for all athletes who test Covid-19 positive. That testing regime is the same protocol I saw mentioned by the Pac 12 expert from the University of Washington. So if a Big 12 athlete tests positive, undergoes the battery of tests, is found to have Myocarditis- they will be told to rest and not participate in sport activity. How is that MORE risky than the Big 10/Pac 12?

In fact if the Big10 and Pac 12 do not test as frequently (or athletes are off campus taking classes online), it seems to me Big10 and Pac 12 athletes may be more at risk.

If playing football on Saturdays is the heightened risk factor for college football players, it will never come to that. The NFL will reveal that issue when they start playing 2 weeks prior to the Big 12, SEC and ACC.

For 15 years I went to mayo for my moms heart Problems. One thing that was consistent was anything that caused the heart to work harder caused heart inflammation. Any disease or illness causes the heart to work harder which causes inflammation.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
I think the typical rate of myocarditis in people that have the flu is about 11%. I think it’s odd no one has been concerned about myocarditis in athletes until now.
Please tell me your source, I just looked at three studies and they were all less than 1%.

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
For 15 years I went to mayo for my moms heart Problems. One thing that was consistent was anything that caused the heart to work harder caused heart inflammation. Any disease or illness causes the heart to work harder which causes inflammation.
About 15 years ago we had a good friend whose son got this disease after a bout with the flu. The pediatric cardiologist put him on 12 tablets of ibuprofen a day for about 30 days and the inflammation was gone. Zero long-term effects.

I am not saying it is this simple, but it definitely is not a death sentence.

Last time I looked, ambulances are at every football field from middle school through professional football. There are incredible inherent risks with the sport. The long-term effects of playing the sport are well documented. It has been debated since the first college football game whether the sport should be banned or not. It is not safe. For these conferences to make this judgment about Covid pails in comparison, in my opinion, to the risks of just playing the sport.

Reactions: larrysarmy

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
About 15 years ago we had a good friend whose son got this disease after a bout with the flu. The pediatric cardiologist put him on 12 tablets of ibuprofen a day for about 30 days and the inflammation was gone. Zero long-term effects.

I am not saying it is this simple, but it definitely is not a death sentence.

Last time I looked, ambulances are at every football field from middle school through professional football. There are incredible inherent risks with the sport. The long-term effects of playing the sport are well documented. It has been debated since the first college football game whether the sport should be banned or not. It is not safe. For these conferences to make this judgment about Covid pails in comparison, in my opinion, to the risks of just playing the sport.

I have friend whose son was paralyzed playing. I was nervous with any play my kids had/have been a part of, and when I played I only cared about getting to hit people. That took a lot out of me.

Reactions: Mr.G.Spot

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I have friend whose son was paralyzed playing. I was nervous with any play my kids had/have been a part of, and when I played I only cared about getting to hit people. That took a lot out of me.

The concession thing leaves me conflicted. Couple things sorta focused it for me. About 20 years ago I asked the brother (worked with me) of an ISU player how his bro was doing since he was out with a concussion. Was expecting something like "He's doing pretty good" but got very somber "I really wish he would quit football." The other is learning how all of the concussions have effected the favorite player of my time at ISU, Matt Blair. I remember as a student celebrating big hits he laid out on the field but now know what that cost him and others. I kind hate big hits now. :(

Last edited:

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
The concession thing leaves me conflicted. Couple things sorta focused it for me. About 20 years ago I asked the brother (worked with me) of an ISU player how his bro was doing since he was out with a concession. Was expecting something like "He's doing pretty good" but got very somber "I really wish he would quit football." The other is learning how all of the concessions have effected the favorite player of my time at ISU, Matt Blair. I remember as a student celebrating big hits he laid out on the field but now know what that cost him and others. I kind hate big hits now. :(

I knew the concessions could cause health problems, but I didn't know brain damage was one of them!

(sorry for chuckling at your post, I couldn't help myself)

Reactions: Acylum

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I've had myocarditis. What you're saying doesn't sound even remotely right.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I've had myocarditis. What you're saying doesn't sound even remotely right.

Seeings how Dr Mankad also teaches at the Mayo school, I will go with what he says over your medical degree and expertise. Unless you are saying that Mayos doctors and instructors are wrong? Then I’d listen to your background on the heart.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Seeings how Dr Mankad also teaches at the Mayo school, I will go with what he says over your medical degree and expertise. Unless you are saying that Mayos doctors and instructors are wrong? Then I’d listen to your background on the heart.
Should be easy to find something to back your retelling of what Dr. Mankad told you then.
anything that caused the heart to work harder
I'll wait. Who knew exercise was so dangerous.