Will Clayton Custer Play the 2 Next Year?

boblaporte

Sep 4, 2013
Iowa
Monte Morris is nearly a lock at point, but point guard Clayton Custer is too good to sit on the bench.
Take a look at this video at the 1:43 mark. Custer moves the defender with a fake cross-over and then splits the two defenders on his way to the hoop. Now look at it again and think about the fact that Custer is right handed and he did all of this with his off hand.

With Monte Morris looking good at the point, how will Fred use Clayton Custer next year? Custer is too good to sit on the bench, he has to be part of the rotation. My guess is he will get significant time at shooting guard sharing this duty with Matt Thomas. I am excited about Clayton’s ability to create his own shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Phwzk2eGv5Q

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
Long, Thomas, and hopefully SDW will be sharing time at SG. I'm betting that Custer will be used like Monte was this year coming off of the bench to back up Kane. We may see some sets with both Monte and Custer on the floor come Big 12 play but my bet is we will see him off the bench for Monte the first half of the season.

bigdaddykane

Mar 3, 2014
i kinda feel monte will do what kane did with monte. if we dont get a transfer he will probs get some soild playing time

ILiftWithRoyce

Feb 6, 2012
Ankeny
Monte Morris is nearly a lock at point, but point guard Clayton Custer is too good to sit on the bench.
Take a look at this video at the 1:43 mark. Custer moves the defender with a fake cross-over and then splits the two defenders on his way to the hoop. Now look at it again and think about the fact that Custer is right handed and he did all of this with his off hand.

With Monte Morris looking good at the point, how will Fred use Clayton Custer next year? Custer is too good to sit on the bench, he has to be part of the rotation. My guess is he will get significant time at shooting guard sharing this duty with Matt Thomas. I am excited about Clayton’s ability to create his own shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Phwzk2eGv5Q

Maybe against high school competition. Maybe not against BXII defense. Point is, he's an incoming freshman who has not played a minute of college basketball yet. Hard to beat Naz, Thomas, and SDW for significant time at the 2 I think.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I could see Montee playing the 2 if we went small, not to defer PG duties but just to give us a versatile lineup, heck this year you can argue Morris shares time with Kane and Niang at "Point Guard". Fred doesn't really ask anyone to play a specific position. He just wants them to go out and do what they do best, its more about meshing what guys do best than locking them in to a position.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Custers talent is great, but his IQ is even better. He is much better suited for the 1. My complete guess is Monte gets about 25-30 minutes/game next year and Custer backs him up.

Since our 4-5 spots are looking pretty deep right now, my guess is Hoiberg finds a 5th year 2 and a transfer SF. If we get a 2 to come in, we can be very dangerous next year.

Cyclonin

Feb 18, 2012
Dallas, TX
Im sure hell spell Morris at PG some, kind of like Morris did to start off this year. Depending on his performance he may see more time.

Between Naz, MT, and possibly SDW, minutes at the 2 are IMO spoken for at this point. Custer could see some there, but I think he'll be more of a true PG. That being said, Morris is a true PG and him and Kane co-exist just fine (even when Kane brings it up).

MM, Naz, MT, Custer, SDW are in line for the 80 minutes at "1" and "2" with a possible 5-10 at "3" if we run a small lineup.

Nader, Hogue are most likely to have the bulk of the "3" minutes.

Nader, Hogue, Niang, McKay are in line for the 80 minutes at the "4" and "5".

This team could be 9 deep depending on SDW and Custer's production.

Alright fine, minutes breakdown IMO:

PG: Morris 30, Custer 10
SG: Naz 20, Thomas 20
SF: Nader 20, Hogue 15, Naz/MT 5
PF: Niang 25, Hogue 10, Nader 5
C: McKay 30, Niang 5, Hogue/Nader 5

Very rough breakdown and thats including McKay. The main 7 (MM, MT, Naz, Nader, Hogue, Niang, McKay) will see 20-30 a night, could be more or less depending on the other 2.

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
I hope he red shirts. I think we get a transfer that can play right away and will allow him to red shirt, bulk up and have a year to expand his game.

jahfg

Apr 19, 2006
Ames
The best players play 33+ minutes in most games. Once you go past 8 guys in the rotation, you get watered-down depth (Iowa).

I looked it up and my initial insitinct was wrong. Only Kane averages 33+ minutes/gm. That is partly due to our foul trouble in the post. My point is we will have a couple guys clearly ahead of the others, and I wouldn't expect minutes totals to be so evenly split. We will find our best 8 and roll with it.

Last edited:

CornFedIABoy

Jan 8, 2014
We still don't know where the last two scholarships are going and Abdelmassih is promising great things. Given what we know we have, and what we can expect, best use of resources, long term, is to redshirt Custer even if he is on par with or slightly better than Naz or Thomas.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Nothing against MT and Naz but I don't think there's anything set in stone that either start next year. Its assumed they will improve, I think they will but early on next season there will be a pretty wide open competition for minutes in the backcourt. I expect Custer to be part of that competition. Next year we could see some weird lineups, maybe even with only 1 guard. I wouldn't be shocked to see Lineups with Niang, Hogue, McKay, Nader and one guard.

It should be fun to watch these guys compete for minutes, it has the potential to be Fred's most talented team.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Depending on how well he plays, there will definitely be times when both he and Monte are on the court together.

Like any season, a lot of unknowns at this point. Will Naz, Thomas, or SDW be able to step up and be a leading scorer? Are Nader and McKay as good as we think they are? Will Hogue and Nader tend to play more of the 3 or the four? Who will fill the last two scholarship spots? What positions do those guys play? And will those guys start or be significant contributors?

Until all those questions are answered it's hard to know what role Custer will play, but I certainly do think he and Monte are capable of being on the court together if necessary.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I think we might see a lot of "guards" and "forwards" next year rather than a traditional 1-5.