Wild Bill - MIA???

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
BJ Shaven said during the Vandy game Bill died new years eve. There was a 30ish looking guy dressed up like Bill with the yellow corduroy jacket and red visor the camera showed a couple times. I assume it was in tribute to Bill. BJ aslo said BF had a special moment with the players in the locker room befor the game.

OK after seeing the last few posts maybe I assumed that young guy was a memorial to Bill. BJ did say somebody named Bill died new years eve and that BF told the team about it.

Bill is alive and kicking. A big ISU WBB supporter did pass away Dec 31st, but it wasn't him. See posts 22 and 23 of this thread.

Splendid

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines
Bill is alive and kicking. A big ISU WBB supporter did pass away Dec 31st, but it wasn't him. See posts 22 and 23 of this thread.

Thanks, I like seeing Bill at these games too! My crack reporting skills leave something to be desired when I misread a Bill for a Jim.

ISU3PtLand

Jan 31, 2007
Ames, Iowa
Wild Bill and his wife were at a funeral on Saturday. One of his fellow lodge members borrowed the WB attire and wore it to the game in his honor. If you got up close, the doppleganger was what Bill looked like 40 years ago. It was scary good.

wry

Jan 8, 2009
The Cyclone Fan death Fennelly and Fellingham referred to after the Vanderbilt game was James Hildebrand. WYLD Bill is alive and healthy, although getting older and slowing down. Let's whoop it up Saturday to beat OK STate

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny
The Cyclone Fan death Fennelly and Fellingham referred to after the Vanderbilt game was James Hildebrand. WYLD Bill is alive and healthy, although getting older and slowing down. Let's whoop it up Saturday to beat OK STate

Okay I gotta ask, seeing as you just joined this month and this is your first post, are you WYLD Bill and if so can I have an autographed photo?

Ames

Sep 5, 2006
On the Vandy post game they very clearly said JIM died, not BILL. Bill sits behind me and I'm 100% sure he was at the last game.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net

This article from 2004 says that he was 64 at the time, so the age matches up. :)

Plus, "wry" just happens to be Wyld Bill's initials...

My question for wry or anyone else who happens to know, does WYLD stand for anything? W and Y are pretty obvious (although the idea that it could be an acronym only now occurred to me) but do L and D mean anything?

BenEClone

Mar 21, 2006
Lincoln, Ne
I know Wild Bill personally, and he did have to miss a game or two recently. I don't recall exactly what the conflict was though. But I know he gave his tickets to some mutual friends, and they dressed up accordingly.

We saw the younger "Bill" in full gear at the Vandy game - it was a good likeness.

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
If and when Wild Bill dies they should retire his uniform that he wears to the games. I love this guy he is what every Cyclone fan should look up to. Wild Bill in my eyes deserves to be hung from the ceiling with all the accomplishments that Iowa State has earned. He is the total super fan!!

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
If and when Wild Bill dies they should retire his uniform that he wears to the games. I love this guy he is what every Cyclone fan should look up to. Wild Bill in my eyes deserves to be hung from the ceiling with all the accomplishments that Iowa State has earned. He is the total super fan!!

Some here could read that sentence the wrong way.

jr4cy

Nov 13, 2008
There are a few posts on Hoopscoop regarding some issues between Wild Bill and the administration during the Hawaii trip. Hopefully they'll blow over.

Vanderbilt at ISU - Page 2 - HoopScoop Forums

I have a feeling people are right about it being more than the "economy"...he states in the video that its "mostly due to the economy...and i don't want to be bugging people"...sounds like its the ISU admin that hes more pissed about after reading the article. You don't fly to Hawaii and go to all the games and then site the economy as the reason why you arn't returning next year....theres definitely something more to it IMO

Last edited:
Reactions: Havs

ornryactor

Jun 3, 2006
Ames
What do we do to keep Wild Bill at the games? I agree- "the economy" is a completely BS reason. We need to show the administration that we stand behind Wild Bill, but we have to do it in large numbers. Hell, I will buy the man a season ticket for next year, just as long as he'll use it and show up to all the games like he's done for 25 years. We need to get a letter-writing campaign going, and flood the AD offices with letters of support!

Anyone joining me?

wry

Jan 8, 2009
Please don't do anything re: WYLD Bill that will detract from the real reason we are there to whoop and holler - the players and the team. Let them be the focus of all our enthusiasm and help them kick the bug-eaters' butts Wednesday. Go Clones!