Wigginton: Out of Control or hated by refs?

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
So many times last night and this season, Wigginton would gut out a tough drive to the basket. I'm not talking about the drives where he would bounce the ball off his foot, or lose control of the ball before getting to the hoop. I'm talking about the drives where he would literally beat his primary defender, cut through 1-2 more, and get right to the rim for a tough contested layup/dunk. There would always seem to be a lot of contact. Bodies (always Lindell's, sometimes others) would end up on the floor. I have no stat to back this up, but I feel as though a foul was called <25% of the time. What was this all about? Wigginton try to sell something that wasn't there, and just being a wild, high-flying athlete flopping, hoping to get a whistle? He would normally cry out, fall to the ground etc. Normally they wouldn't show a replay, so I never went back to see how many times he was actually fouled. I feel as though he got more calls on 3's than he did on 2's.

This happened a lot to NWB too

Last edited:

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
Wigginton sometimes didn't go through contact but tried to avoid it while going to the rim. Not saying he didn't get fouled a lot anyway because I'm sure he did, it just seemed at times he was looking for the foul and the refs didn't want to give it to him. Happens a lot.

agardini

Nov 12, 2009
I'd say he is more out of control just looking for a foul call. He needs to take it up strong, but he might be a little too small to effectively do that. Seemed like when he drove to the hoop this year it either got blocked, he got fouled or it was completely out if control and was a turnover. A for effort, C+ on outcome.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Will be curious to see what decision Wiggy makes. If it's NBA or nothing, he's back. If he wants to make some money and is OK with G League or Europe, then he's obviously gone.
Since we are big into dreams in Ames, I hope he hangs on to his NBA goal and comes back.

Reactions: Cyclonic1

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Wigginton is the type of player that makes coaches hair turn grey.

He is an unbelievable talent. He is a great shooter and great at dribble penetration. And for a guy his height pretty solid at finishing at the rim and rebounding. He's B+ or better in all those areas.

Conversely, he is below average at distributing the ball as a PG, too many turnovers and not very good on-ball defender.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA

He is an unbelievable talent. He is a great shooter and great at dribble penetration. And for a guy his height pretty solid at finishing at the rim and rebounding. He's B+ or better in all those areas.

Conversely, he is below average at distributing the ball as a PG, too many turnovers and not very good on-ball defender.
You mean to tell me there's more to basketball than athleticism and talent??? I keep hearing we were the most talented team in the league and I was lead to believe that meant we should be the best team in the league. /sarcasm

Reactions: capitalcityguy

Blandboy

Mar 31, 2006
Bettendorf

he’s a streaky shooter...great when he’s on

SC Cy

Jun 30, 2006
Omaha, NE
twitter.com
Will be curious to see what decision Wiggy makes. If it's NBA or nothing, he's back. If he wants to make some money and is OK with G League or Europe, then he's obviously gone.
Since we are big into dreams in Ames, I hope he hangs on to his NBA goal and comes back.

The only way he can make it in the NBA is as a point guard. He wasn't the starting point guard on a one-and-done NCAA team. He needs to come back next season and play point guard and hone his skills. I've watched most of Monte's NBA season and there is no comparison between he and Wiggy. Wiggy will get absolutely eaten alive.

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
My wish list for Lindell:
1. Slow down 1/2 step on offense.
2. Stop looking for a whistle on every single drive. ...I feel like he's the opposite on 3's and it's uncanny how many times he's fouled on them.
3. Stop getting lost on defense.

He's still just a Sophomore, but he's so close to be dominant, minus doing each of the above 2-3 times/game.

If he goes, I'll wish him luck.
If he stays, and keeps doing the same stuff, he's going to be tough to watch.
If he stays, and he cleans these things up, he'll be awesome.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
The only way he can make it in the NBA is as a point guard. He wasn't the starting point guard on a one-and-done NCAA team. He needs to come back next season and play point guard and hone his skills. I've watched most of Monte's NBA season and there is no comparison between he and Wiggy. Wiggy will get absolutely eaten alive.

Logically what you say makes sense and I really hope he comes back and works on the the gaps in his game over the summer. I am not sure what opportunities there are over the summer to work on his ball skills, passing and decision making. Canadian National Team? He needs game action vs. glorified pick-up games like Capital City League.

Can ISU afford to have him learn to be a PG on the job? I would hope we could win at least 11 non-con games with Wigginton as our PG. The other reality, will Halliburton be the primary ball handler? I am not 100% sold on the later either in the offense ISU runs.

Lastly, if the G-League were a true developmental league that would seem to be the ideal place for Wigginton. He can play a ton of minutes at PG and it the end, development is more important than W/L's.

• Agree
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA

I can't say I agree with he is good at finishing at the rim - I'd say most of the time he didn't finish and didn't get the foul either.

Help Support Us

Become a patron