Wide Receivers and Their Disappearing Act

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
The bolded part above is THE issue.

If teams are going to bring multiple blitzers a majority of the time, that means our TEs and WRs are in single coverage.... and yet they still can't get any separation at all..... why?

And OSU seemed to mostly bring the blitz right up the middle.... so in that case you should be able to beat them by going to the edges horizontally.... but we rarely seem to exploit that. And if they are bringing the heat right up the middle, then you need to roll Purdy out on designed roll out plays (which I assume Manning doesn't have??).

The best QBs in college and the NFL absolutely LOVE when teams blitz them. Aaron Rodgers comes to mind for me. He's said over and over again that he loves being blitzed.... because you can burn blitzes for big plays.... or you should be able to anyway. Not us though.... we have no idea what to do??

The receivers don't get separation because they're not fast.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Pettway willed us to wins last year. Go watch game highlights and start with KU. No Milton is an issue too. Someone else has to step up.

ULL started the trend of playing man coverage against and set the plan for others. No they bring lots of pressure. Especially with more and more OL going down. OL has to play better and WR have to get separation earlier.

Pettway was a beast. I don't think he gets the credit he deserves. Very physical WR, caught everything near him (even in traffic)... and also ran over people with the ball in his hands.

Reactions: burn587

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Pettway was a beast. I don't think he gets the credit he deserves. Very physical WR, caught everything near him (even in traffic)... and also ran over people with the ball in his hands.
He was a hell of a blocker, too. I’m surprised he didn’t at least end up on a practice squad.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I am baffled by the inability of the WR. Seems there has been a talent upgrade at every position since Rhoads except WR? We bring in guys with some clout but never hear their names called on Saturday. Talent issue or are coaches not giving them the right opportunities?

Inthesystem

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 12, 2009
You don’t have to have five star talent to be efficient on special teams. Like why are we calling for a fair catch inside the 5?

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
If we're in 3rd and long, it's an automatic blitz and Purdy incompletion, sack, or fumble. We have to do better on 1st and 2nd down, but OSU was keeping Hall in check. I would've liked to see a few more QB runs like we saw in the 1st half. That looked like the gameplan early, but once Hall got going, we tried to ride him. Once we got behind, we needed to get more receivers on the field. The 2 and 3 TE sets are nice with a lead, but they aren't getting it done when we need to stretch the field. Our receivers are a weakness, but we have to get them involved somehow.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Pettway willed us to wins last year. Go watch game highlights and start with KU. No Milton is an issue too. Someone else has to step up.

ULL started the trend of playing man coverage against and set the plan for others. No they bring lots of pressure. Especially with more and more OL going down. OL has to play better and WR have to get separation earlier.
Pettway was incredibly underrated. Not explosive but strong, good hands, loved to block and knew how to get open. KU beats ISU last year without him.

Until ISU can make teams pay for playing so much man the passing game is going to struggle. While I like how they have used the 2-3 TE formations, the straight drop back passes minimize the advantage.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
If we're in 3rd and long, it's an automatic blitz and Purdy incompletion, sack, or fumble. We have to do better on 1st and 2nd down, but OSU was keeping Hall in check. I would've liked to see a few more QB runs like we saw in the 1st half. That looked like the gameplan early, but once Hall got going, we tried to ride him. Once we got behind, we needed to get more receivers on the field. The 2 and 3 TE sets are nice with a lead, but they aren't getting it done when we need to stretch the field. Our receivers are a weakness, but we have to get them involved somehow.

How are the receivers going to do anything when they aren't on the field? If you have 3 TE's then you only have one WR {Hutchinson) on the field. We went with a lot of heavy sets and couldn't run the ball outside of the two big plays.

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
You don’t have to have five star talent to be efficient on special teams. Like why are we calling for a fair catch inside the 5?
Eisworth had a couple of bad plays in punt return yesterday. The fair catch inside the 5 was as bad of a decision as you can make, and then later he cut back into the coverage when if he had followed the blocking he would’ve had a big return. Just another area we miss Milton.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
That was just a mistake by Eisworth and he knew it. Might have thought he was a little further out.

83cy

May 14, 2006
Whats going on with Milton? Seems like a shoulder problem, did he get/need surgery?