Why USA isn't a world power in soccer (yet)

leschmick1785

Jul 12, 2013
I know they don't. And they're ok not doing commercials overseas. But that doesn't fly as well here in the states. Everything is about the dollars. I do think lack of commercials in US Soccer plays a role. Most non-world cup and non-olympic soccer is typically not on one of the big time networks.

That is such a simplistic view of things. You think millions, maybe billions of people are just 'ok' without commercials? The rules of the game and basic economics determines the level of advertisements. Why do you think soccer teams have sponsors on their shirts?

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
if that's what you think I was getting at then you missed the point entirely. The idea is that multiple types of scores = increased strategy = added drama = added excitement.

Are you completely committed to this idea? Cause if you took field goals away from football would there not be much more drama in a game? Field goals give coaches/teams a way out, look we scored points. wooohooo. If in football you had to score a touchdown to score, it would dramatically increase the drama.

I love football, but the argument that field goals make it better is not accurate.

Soccer is full of drama throughout most games, because one play can change how the rest of the game is played.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
I disagree at least from kids in Iowa. The soccer system is so screwed up it's almost impossible to keep kids playing. My daughter is 10. The lowest cost for a select soccer team is $750 dollars. They have to try out for the team also. Baseball, basketball, and every other American sport there are several options for low priced leagues and games. We had several quit this year because of the price and overall way youth soccer is played.
At the age of 8 they start in with having to have professional coaches like WDM academy. Then at the age of 10 if you don't have professionals and pay big bucks. It's hard to keep competing. Same reason Hockey is not as popular. The overall cost is through the roof.
Now compare that with baseball, basketball, and every other sport. Fathers and mothers coach it and coach it effectively. BTW for those who say professional coaches are a must in soccer. Look at Ghana in soccer. My guess is they don't have the great professional youth soccer coaches. Look at the dominican republic in baseball.
Soccer is the worst sport for kids to advance in, at least in Iowa. Not sure how every other state does it. My son and daughter have played basketball, soccer, baseball, football and track. Soccer is easily the worst to keep competing in. It's not even close.

This is kind of where I'm at. Now, take this for what it's worth. When my daughter started playing organized soccer, she was 6 years old. When you sign up for soccer, it's for August, through June. Now granted, there is some time off in there for breaks and Holidays, but it goes from Fall Soccer, to Indoor, then in March starts outdoors again until June. At 6. She also wanted to try Basketball, softball and had considered cheerleading even.

Well, after that first year, because she was getting tired of always playing sports, she quit soccer for a few years, then picked it up again this year at age 10. She immediately went back to being one of the top 5 on her team because she is highly athletic, but again since the season just ended and she was still playing Basketball and softball, decided she'd had enough of it and was done with soccer.

Now I understand specialization in sports as you get older, but come on, it doesn't leave time to play anything else and give other sports a try as you are younger. Most teams were hesitant to take on my daughter because of her time off. So, not only are they asking my kid to decide at age 6 what sport she wants to play for the rest of her life, but if she decides at age 10 that she might want to play soccer, most of the coaches aren't willing to take her on the team.

I read this guys article, and I don't necessarily agree with him. I don't think it's that we steer our kids to other sports, it just seems that those in the soccer world feel so passionately about it, that they don't think you should do anything else. I'm sorry, I follow a mantra of "Well Rounded" In all parts of life, not just sports. Like school, even though I was in Graphic Design, I still had to take some math, English, History etc.

Eventually I believe our culture will change and we will accept soccer more and you will see more kids dedicate their life to it, but for now, it's just not there. Most of the parents I know, consider the game boring and would rather not be there. If it wasn't for their kids, they'd never watch any soccer. So, if you aren't making it easy for parents, like me, it's easy for me to say, "Great, I'm glad you aren't playing next year."

So, it's not so much that we are steering our kids to other stuff, it's that they have other options. In other parts of the world, that's the game people play, here we have more options and personally, I like that. I'd gladly trade being a world power in soccer knowing that I still have basketball, hockey and football on TV to watch. And that my kids have other options besides soccer to play.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
I thought a little analysis of my experience with soccer and hockey might help to explain a bit of why it hasn't taken off in the US. Now, I'm finding that I'm repeating myself and don't have much more to say. So, rather than run the risk of being labeled like tuco or 110, I will bow out and let the rest of you take the thread wherever you want to take it.

I thought it was respectable discussion, the soccer fans see the similarities between the sports while you see the differences, but that's why they're fans and you're not.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I hate that excuse: cherry pickers. Like Clint Dempsy is just going to sit there by the goal until the ball is hit to him. Teams that do that will lose a man on defense so that's their choice. I wish some soccer league would just get rid of the rule and try it. Just try it for a season.

And it's not like goaltending at all. Goaltending would be the equivalent of a position player using his hands to stop a goal. This is a red card and they get the goal anyway. Imagine an offside rules in basketball - half the highlights would be gone instantly. Americans want highlights.

Forwards aren't often back in the thick of things on defense. They're not going to be losing a man on defense, watch Argentina and Messi and Aguero basically have no defensive roles. You don't see Dempsey or Altidore making tackles in the defensive third.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
I always wondered why cutting away from a NASCAR race for commercials is acceptable to the watching public.

I am not a roundy-roundy fan, so there is bias. But strictly from enjoying a sport point of view, why would you tolerate being left in the dark for 4 minutes of commercials while action is taking place. Its like buying a movie theater ticket and getting up 8 times in two hours to go to the bathroom. Rent the movie ....

Nascar fans have to get up to get another beer at some point

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Honestly if they got rid of offsides. I think I would be more into soccer. I just can't compute in my head why you get penalized for beating the other person to a spot. That is just me. I hate that rule. Also, if they got rid of it the scores would be higher and I think more Americans would buy in. BTW every time the world cup comes around the same discusion is had. Soccer people think this is the one that is gonna make Amercians like soccer. It never is. Until the NFL folds. America is a football country.

How about we eliminate offsides from football as well. After all, why punish the defense for beating the offense to the spot?

I watched the entire game and the first minutes was great and the last 4 were great. The other 95 minutes were boring - and yes i played soccer - and yes I understand the strategy - and yes I know the excitement of coming close to scoring.

By your definition of scoring = exciting, I would assume you also consider 95% of football games "boring" as well.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Forwards aren't often back in the thick of things on defense. You don't see Dempsey or Altidore making tackles in the defensive third.

But the defense isn't involved in the offense either so why does it matter. If a guy sits back by the goal keep a defender there with him. It's all strategy.

JD720

Jan 3, 2009
I hate that excuse: cherry pickers. Like Clint Dempsy is just going to sit there by the goal until the ball is hit to him. Teams that do that will lose a man on defense so that's their choice. I wish some soccer league would just get rid of the rule and try it. Just try it for a season.

He absolutely would. And the other team would have to keep a defender with him. Sure if the defender leaves him, they have a 10-9 advantage the other way (not counting the keeper). That is a very minimal advantage compared to the risk of having Dempsey 1 on 1 vs their keeper if we steal the ball and pass it up to him. The offsides rule allows for more end to end action.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
By your definition of scoring = exciting, I would assume you also consider 95% of football games "boring" as well.

yes - football has way too much time in huddles and in between possessions. The average football game only has 11 minutes of actual running or playtime. That's really sad and boring.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA

And it's not like goaltending at all. Goaltending would be the equivalent of a position player using his hands to stop a goal. This is a red card and they get the goal anyway. Imagine an offside rules in basketball - half the highlights would be gone instantly. Americans want highlights.

I shouldn't have made the analogy. Not because it doesn't work but I knew it would be nit picked to death and the point would be completely missed. And what you describe is exactly what would happen if offsides was gotten rid of. Teams would put a tall physical striker in the 18 yard box that would just sit there waiting for long passes. Their defense would be missed? Strikers defensive responsibilities are lazily jogging towards the central defender when he has the ball.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
But the defense isn't involved in the offense either so why does it matter. If a guy sits back by the goal keep a defender there with him. It's all strategy.
I can't think of a worse idea than to get rid of offsides. The constant cat and mouse game between attackers and defenders, timing runs, the cohesiveness of a good defensive unit that can trap players offside. It would really be awful.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
This is kind of where I'm at. Now, take this for what it's worth. When my daughter started playing organized soccer, she was 6 years old. When you sign up for soccer, it's for August, through June. Now granted, there is some time off in there for breaks and Holidays, but it goes from Fall Soccer, to Indoor, then in March starts outdoors again until June. At 6. She also wanted to try Basketball, softball and had considered cheerleading even.

Well, after that first year, because she was getting tired of always playing sports, she quit soccer for a few years, then picked it up again this year at age 10. She immediately went back to being one of the top 5 on her team because she is highly athletic, but again since the season just ended and she was still playing Basketball and softball, decided she'd had enough of it and was done with soccer.

Now I understand specialization in sports as you get older, but come on, it doesn't leave time to play anything else and give other sports a try as you are younger. Most teams were hesitant to take on my daughter because of her time off. So, not only are they asking my kid to decide at age 6 what sport she wants to play for the rest of her life, but if she decides at age 10 that she might want to play soccer, most of the coaches aren't willing to take her on the team.

I read this guys article, and I don't necessarily agree with him. I don't think it's that we steer our kids to other sports, it just seems that those in the soccer world feel so passionately about it, that they don't think you should do anything else. I'm sorry, I follow a mantra of "Well Rounded" In all parts of life, not just sports. Like school, even though I was in Graphic Design, I still had to take some math, English, History etc.

Eventually I believe our culture will change and we will accept soccer more and you will see more kids dedicate their life to it, but for now, it's just not there. Most of the parents I know, consider the game boring and would rather not be there. If it wasn't for their kids, they'd never watch any soccer. So, if you aren't making it easy for parents, like me, it's easy for me to say, "Great, I'm glad you aren't playing next year."

So, it's not so much that we are steering our kids to other stuff, it's that they have other options. In other parts of the world, that's the game people play, here we have more options and personally, I like that. I'd gladly trade being a world power in soccer knowing that I still have basketball, hockey and football on TV to watch. And that my kids have other options besides soccer to play.

I have the same feeling towards youth, I played basketball, football, soccer and hockey until I quit one by one in middle school through high school. Then I turned to all year soccer around age 10 and knew that's what I wanted to do. With school, I believe the same to be true in high school, but having to take all that stuff in college is bs. There's an age where you know what you want to do and can specialize in it. I also don't know where you live that your daughter couldn't play rec league any season she wanted and not the others, that's odd.

Soccer is more for the younger generation, I didn't have a coach that had played soccer before until I was in high school. That's not the case anymore.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
This entire discussion is why soccer hasn't caught on yet. Half this thread thinks offside is dumb and the other half thinks it's great. What annoys me is that no league will ever just TRY it without that rule. The Ames rec league could try it and see how it changes things. No one knows what anyone will do until they try it.

• Haha
Reactions: Cy$

cyinne

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2009
O-town, Iowa
Personally I have never had a problem with soccer. I actually like it- the strategy behind it is awesome. I don't mind the 1-0 games.

I think things that bother Americans also are arbitrary things like calling the field a "pitch", calling their shoes "boots", their uniforms "kits", if you don't score a goal its "nill". Another thing that Americans don't like is all of the gamesmanship that happens. A lot of unneeded fake injuries or flopping just to get a foul or yellow/red card.

As others have said- IMO- until American football dies, association football will never have the support it needs for the US to be world dominators in this sport. It will only have the support of the country when the FIFA World Cup or Confederations Cup is being played.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
yes - football has way too much time in huddles and in between possessions. The average football game only has 11 minutes of actual running or playtime. That's really sad and boring.

I understand what you are saying but usually, the offense is attempting to score, or at least keep the drive moving on every play, other than punts, even thought the team fielding the punt is immediately going into score mode.

I saw the stats for Mexico vs. Brazil. I think the shots on goal was 3-8. Now I understand there is a lot more that goes into scoring a goal than just kicking at the goal, but the majority of that time not spent kicking at the goal is just time spent moving the ball back and forth.

The big difference in soccer and other American loved sports, imo, is the, at least perceived, notion of offensive control. In most sports we love in the US, turnovers are bad things and when they happen, it can be a game changer, especially in football. In soccer, turnovers are pretty much the norm.

Now, I'm not saying this is bad on soccers part, just that Americans are used to a team being on offense and a team being on defense. The Big 3, football, baseball and basketball (basketball to a slightly lesser degree) Seem to have an offensive and defensive set. Mainly there is this defined section of time when you are on offense, attempting to score. And also you are set defensively, trying to keep them from scoring.

Soccer and to some extent hockey don't really fall into this as much. Obviously there are plays and strategies being used, but the turnover ratio is such that the games don't flow like Basketball and football. And even Baseball, where it can be boring, every pitch could be another run added to the total. It's what we are used to and a lot different from the soccer flow, where most of the game is spent around midfield, exchanging turnovers.

I'm honestly not trying to say one is better than another, just trying to point out that Americans favorite games really have a completely different flow to them than soccer does. It's really a matter of being able to get used to how to watch it.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
This entire discussion is why soccer hasn't caught on yet. Half this thread thinks offside is dumb and the other half thinks it's great. What annoys me is that no league will ever just TRY it without that rule. The Ames rec league could try it and see how it changes things. No one knows what anyone will do until they try it.
I don't think the offsides rule is great - I just understand its purpose and its need.

mctallerton

Apr 4, 2006
The problem is the US doesn't have the pull to change the international game. So while it may be more fun on a local level you are hampering the development of the kids playing. If the NBA wanted to change the way FIBA plays the game by adding a four point shot they could likely influence that change. US soccer could not change the way FIFA plays its game, that would have to come from the Euro leagues.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA

because it's that bad of an idea. If it makes you feel better I've played a lot of games without offisides and no matter how you start it always ends with everyone trying to feed the one or two cherry pickers on your team. It completely bastardizes most strategy.