Why so sad?

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I cannot understand the negativity of most people on this board. Cyclone fans allow themselves to go through a viscous cycle of:

1) Play down our chances going into a given year
2) At the first sign of success, play up our chances of success in a given year .
3) As soon as something again goes poorly, come full circle and begin believing once again that we are the worst team in the Big 12.

If you go back to posts before the year, the overwhelming consensus was 4-5 wins. We are still in great shape do just that, and maybe pull of 6 wins. While we are still on track to fulfil the expectations of many, the overall tenor amongst fans seems to be exceedingly pessimistic.

I still think we have hit it "out of the park" when it comes to our coaches. CPR is learning how to be a head coach, and you have to take the good with the bad there. Overall, he seems to be a good players coach with great enthusiasm for the university. Burnham seems to be a great fit, as he has our defense playing well beyond anyones expectations. I know everyone was waiting for our explosive offense, but as disappointing as that has been at times, our defense has been that much of a suprise success.

The offense has looked shakey at times, but in all reality, I think we should have expected it. Herman obviously knows his stuff, but it just will take more than one spring and half of a football season to get the players accustomed to it. We have quality players with experience out there, and also the right mix of talent in good places.

I think part of our perpetual pessimism towards football comes from the fact that we have seen other similar programs (Kansas, Missouri, TT, ect.) have recent success. What we can't forget is that these teams did not become successful overnight. It took them 3-4 years to get their systems in place. They built there success on bringing in 2-3 star recruits with potential, and not reeling in all blue-chippers. We are headed down that same path, and in due time we will see the same success.

Reactions: 4429 mcc

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
We lost. Automatically means it's time for CycloneFanatic to go into meltdown mode. It means we suck and we're never going to win another game and it's time to fire Rhoads and JP :jimlad:

PGreen ISU '92

Mar 6, 2008
Waukee, IA
Burnham is getting the most out of our defense and once the offense starts clicking -- look out! Baylor, Texas A&M, and Colorado are all winnable games and we've got a puncher's chance in the rest. Go Cyclones!

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
Dude, we just lost a football game we had no business losing to a horrible team by a freaking blocked extra point.

If we didn't have a few meltdown threads and frustration running threw the board I'd be concerned nobody on here owned a pair of nuts. Don't worry there is no fanbase in the country that can bounce back like we can.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Dude, we just lost a football game we had no business losing to a horrible team by a freaking blocked extra point.

If we didn't have a few meltdown threads and frustration running threw the board I'd be concerned nobody on here owned a pair of nuts. Don't worry there is no fanbase in the country that can bounce back like we can.

Well, some of us don't anyway. I guess we're the rational ones.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

I still don't see what the necessity of a meltdown is...

Has it occured to you that maybe we ar a horrible team too? We are in no position, as fans, to go into any game expecting to win. Not every loss creates a need to give up 3 years worth of hope on the football team, call for the firing of the AD, question the hiring of our coaches, call for a back-up quarterback, and question why our 3rd string running back isn't playing.

Am I the only one that sees the absurdity of this? If that PAT goes gets kicked a foot higher, no one is upset and we are talking about a bowl game. Because it does not, all the sudden people want to do all of the afore mentioned things.

Sometimes I worry what some of you people do when something that is actually bad happens in your personal life...or is "meltdown mode" exclusive to Iowa State athletics?

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Sometimes I worry what some of you people do when something that is actually bad happens in your personal life...or is "meltdown mode" exclusive to Iowa State athletics?

I'm a cutter, personally. I typically carry a razor blade but some broken glass will do in a pinch.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
I still don't see what the necessity of a meltdown is...

Has it occured to you that maybe we ar a horrible team too? We are in no position, as fans, to go into any game expecting to win. Not every loss creates a need to give up 3 years worth of hope on the football team, call for the firing of the AD, question the hiring of our coaches, call for a back-up quarterback, and question why our 3rd string running back isn't playing.

Am I the only one that sees the absurdity of this? If that PAT goes gets kicked a foot higher, no one is upset and we are talking about a bowl game. Because it does not, all the sudden people want to do all of the afore mentioned things.

C'mon, nobody is questioning the hiring of coaches and the same sob's questioning JP are the one's that have been doing so for 4 years. I actually think the "meltdown" if you want to call it that has been relativly calm. You don't see many actuall meltdowns...just a lot of frustration which I think is warrented.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
C'mon, nobody is questioning the hiring of coaches and the same sob's questioning JP are the one's that have been doing so for 4 years. I actually think the "meltdown" if you want to call it that has been relativly calm. You don't see many actuall meltdowns...just a lot of frustration which I think is warrented.

Fair enough...I just have decided many people on this board were born without coping mechanisms. It is sad to see grown adults get so worked up about an unfavorable ending to a football game...

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Fair enough...I just have decided many people on this board were born without coping mechanisms. It is sad to see grown adults get so worked up about an unfavorable ending to a football game...

Well, CF is a pretty healthy outlet. My therapist says it's better than the spray paint huffing...

Reactions: cyfan964

Broodwich

Nov 22, 2006
42.186391, -93.598597
NEWSFLASH: It's not easy being a Cyclone fan.

Disappointment is a key component of our persona. It's been this way for a very long time, and will continue to be for the foreseeable future.

Remain humble, and savor the victories. If you are an ISU fan because you wanted to be happy every Saturday night, you got in to the wrong line.

Sioux_Per_Cy

Mar 31, 2006

Lighten up Francis

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I agree, I thought this was rather tame considering who we lost to and the nature of the loss. It could be much, much worse around here.

clone51

Oct 4, 2009
Western Iowa
Why?
Because we lost our chance to go 11-1. But, hey, 10-2 is still out there.
Lets run the table and go bowling in January!
The Cyclone Express is leaving the station for big time success. All Aboard!

GeronimusClone

Oct 23, 2008
Des Moines, IA
Why?
Because we lost our chance to go 11-1. But, hey, 10-2 is still out there.
Lets run the table and go bowling in January!
The Cyclone Express is leaving the station for big time success. All Aboard!
I've now met the most dillusional person on earth.
Check that off the bucket list.

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
I blame society. We are in a generation that has never lost because everyone is a winner! Except that in the real world there are plenty of losers.

Reactions: Broodwich

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
I blame society. We are in a generation that has never lost because everyone is a winner! Except that in the real world there are plenty of losers.

Too bad I can't rep you again. Good post.

I am not mad about the PAT getting blocked. A 6' 4" db came in and made a great play. The thing that chaps my behind is the 2 turnovers in our own end of the field that gave KSU a short field and both resulted in points for them. The defense played a solid game. The d-line was creating some pressure and Wally was calling a good game with disguised blitzes etc.... KSU's qb made some great plays on the run so you have to tip your hat to him but when you give a team the ball twice on turnovers on your half of the field you are going to get burned. We have to eliminate turnovers like that because they are killers.

Help Support Us

Become a patron