Why Shouldn't Steve Prohm Lose His Job If We Get Annihilated By Iowa?

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
I believe the article has since been erased from the Ames Tribune - but it basically accused Pollard of being cheap with the basketball program. He and Hoiberg came out publicly against it but Hines stuck to it and his sources.

BringBackJohnny

Feb 11, 2009
Ames
CSP seems to lose guys at a rate I’ve never seen before. Some like Hali for good reasons the other just because they want to. That seems like either bad recruiting, bad culture, or bad coaching. Those are CSP’s prime areas to be great it seems he’s not cutting the holistic management level necessary to be an effective coach. Sure we can suck for 5 more years and hope he figures it out but I’d rather not.

leeeroy1119

Oct 22, 2012
Cambridge
This year is the first time in forever I fully expect the team to get their asses beat by Iowa. It sucks, but meh they have opportunities to spoil other teams goals. Hawk fans should soak it in because there’s no evidence Fran can maintain anything close to this.

The outcome has no bearing on Steve’s job. Because of the pandemic he’s got 2 years to get the team back into the tournament.

This is the most ******** thing I have read in a long time. Pandemic should not be used as an excuse.

shadow

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Reactions: Lewey24

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
This is the most ******** thing I have read in a long time. Pandemic should not be used as an excuse.
The pandemic has put the AD in such a hole financially that paying Steve to go away, paying a new coach and potentially paying that coach's buyout isn't feasible. If you think it's ******** feel free to pony up, because it's how it is

ZuriCyclone

Nov 10, 2019
We are in the hole 50 - 60 million dollars this year. No billionaire donors for ISU. We have to ride out Prohms terrible era. Plus we have to pay CMC and staff.

What do you prefer more making the CF playoffs or winning in basketball.

• Funny
  • Haha
Reactions: Rebel and Brodie0

Lewey24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 2, 2020
Dubuque, IA
We are in the hole 50 - 60 million dollars this year. No billionaire donors for ISU. We have to ride out Prohms terrible era. Plus we have to pay CMC and staff.

What do you prefer more making the CF playoffs or winning in basketball.
This is the reality of it, we’re going to lose a ton of money paying back our loan from this year, and any excess money should be going straight to Matt Campbell and his staff. Sustaining football success is the goal right now, because that will keep the athletic department in a good spot financially.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Here’s why I think there’s a chance JP makes a move this year despite the financial issue it could bring up...

Everybody in college basketball knows Prohm is a dead man walking. No decent college recruits will come in ‘22 because the man recruiting them will not be their coach.

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
I've been trying to tell you guys since I started posting here that Prohm was a horrible coach and was destroying what Fred built. At least some of you can finally see it now that Fred's program is completely burnt to the ground.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
CSP seems to lose guys at a rate I’ve never seen before. Some like Hali for good reasons the other just because they want to. That seems like either bad recruiting, bad culture, or bad coaching. Those are CSP’s prime areas to be great it seems he’s not cutting the holistic management level necessary to be an effective coach. Sure we can suck for 5 more years and hope he figures it out but I’d rather not.

This is absolutely the issue right now. Looking at the backcourt he recruited for this year, we should have a dominant team. But, for one reason or another, he's lost those guys to the pros or transfers. Maybe he had to take fliers to get guys because we were so senior heavy with little underclassmen when he took over? Either way, if he's around beyond this year, that's the area that needs to improve. He has what appears to be a good group of young players on this roster. He needs to keep them all if we're going to have any chance of success in the next couple years.

Rebel

Nov 23, 2020
This is absolutely the issue right now. Looking at the backcourt he recruited for this year, we should have a dominant team. But, for one reason or another, he's lost those guys to the pros or transfers. Maybe he had to take fliers to get guys because we were so senior heavy with little underclassmen when he took over? Either way, if he's around beyond this year, that's the area that needs to improve. He has what appears to be a good group of young players on this roster. He needs to keep them all if we're going to have any chance of success in the next couple years.

Who is in the group of young players that appear to be good?

I dont even think Walker played until mop up time the other night.

Blackwell looked awful out there.

Dubar played 10 minutes and literally the only stats he posted were 2 turnovers. No FG attempts, rebounds, blocks, steals or anything else.

Foster flashed for about 5-6 minutes.

Everyone else on the roster is either a junior or senior so I would not consider them young.

Edit- forgot Jackson being out when I made the comment about everyone else being a junior or senior.

Last edited:
Reactions: Clonefan32

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

Dubar played 10 minutes and literally the only stats he posted were 2 turnovers. No FG attempts, rebounds, blocks, steals or anything else.

Everyone else on the roster is either a junior or senior so I would not consider them young.

Bingo. For some reason this year's class has been catagorized as some kind of program-changing class. With the exception of Foster, most of these guys wouldn't be relied on to contribute on a decent team. They are, for the most part, projects. Very well could wind up good players a few years down the road, but don't appear ready to contribute on a high level any time soon.

Keegan Murray was the best freshmen on the floor on Friday, and that is not a good sign.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
  • Winner
Reactions: CyTwins and Rebel

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Keegan Murray was the best freshmen on the floor on Friday, and that is not a good sign.

Keegan has been really good so far albeit against bad competition. Will see how he fares against Gonzaga and the Big 10. But he has a lot of upside.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012

Edit- forgot Jackson being out when I made the comment about everyone else being a junior or senior.

ISU will just reload with transfers like they always do.

Reactions: CyTwins and Rebel