Why is Matt Campbell still at Iowa State? To reset, rebuild the Cyclones’ magical rise

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
Today's Athletic article (Subscription required)

“From Day 1, I feel like that’s what they’ve said about this place: You can’t sustain it. It’s not doable,” Campbell said. “The more things change, the more they say it can’t happen. You’ve got to be uncommon here and be willing to do it in an uncommon way. That’s the thing I love about this place. I know this program is really what I believe, or at least how I believe you should run a college football program. We still get to do that here."

Campbell is still here because he was turned down for the jobs he wanted.

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
Changed everything in what way?

I do think it is fair to say that Ohio State would be a job he would very much consider, and Day is starting to feel the heat from the fanbase (as foolish as that may be). But there is no way Matt would be considered at OSU following his recent record.

Last edited:

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
OSU, ND were jobs that he coveted. He couldn't get together either with USC and OU. '20 and '21 have now changed everything for him.

Source(s) that prove that he coveted these positions and/or interviewed for them? Prior to his tenure at ISU does not count.

I've interviewed for plenty of jobs that I did not covet. Nor did I ever go to an interview because I loathed my employer at the time. I'm interested in the mind readers who advance such malarkey. They might come in handy during the season as preparation for game strategy.

Just a thought.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Matt’s interviewed for a couple of jobs and they’ve gone a different direction. He’s also turned down numerous opportunities to interview because he believed there wasn’t a fit.

He’s no longer a hot ticket item because of the last two years, but it’s reactionary just like it was when his name was popular due to winning 8 games in his second year.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Matt’s interviewed for a couple of jobs and they’ve gone a different direction. He’s also turned down numerous opportunities to interview because he believed there wasn’t a fit.

He’s no longer a hot ticket item because of the last two years, but it’s reactionary just like it was when his name was popular due to winning 8 games in his second year.

I think it is reactionary to say he's not a hot ticket item any more. He's maybe not as big of a draw, but I'm guessing if he was out there lobbying for jobs he'd be strongly considered for just about any of them---the Athletic article said that of the coaches hired in 2017 (there were 27 or so), he has the second most wins of any of them (Kirby Smart has the most). Even with the last 2 years, he's been very successful. I'd guess part of reason why he might not be as sought after is that he has stayed.

I think we all know he'd jump at ND (we were lucky Freeman was a draw for them b/c I think Campbell was choice #2) and OSU. The one that I'd love to know the whole story on is USC because it sure seems like that was one he was going to take and that's the one that seems like the oddest fit. I could see him at ND. I could see him at the premiere Big 10 schools. But USC? It's hard to picture that. Considering what has gone down in with their AD, I'm guessing he's happy he didn't get or take that one.

I also suspect that there's someone close to Campbell that kind of jumps the gun on saying he's leaving.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Hopefully Campbell realizes and I think he does that there are only 10 to 12 schools that can win a national championship and being at one of those schools put a lot of stress not only on the coach, but their entire family.
A job like ISU carries little of that, I saw Campbell a couple of weeks ago at an elementary music concert his oldest son was singing in. He was sitting halfway towards the top, and people were leaving him alone to have some quiet family time. He is well paid, but getting to do things like that are not happening at the highest rated schools, and that type of peace of mind is worth a lot to a person and their family.

cysmiley

Jun 30, 2012
Read the article (comes with my NYT subscription), good read and explains why he has stayed. His painful (having to dismiss people who had been loyal and with/to him for years) reorganization after last season was covered but he knew it needed to be done if the "process" was going to be successful. He continues to focus on the athletes and how to enable them to be successful, and he is able to run the program his way at ISU. We are lucky as a fan base to have him and he seems to be dedicated to building our (and especially the ISU athletes) program.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Read the article (comes with my NYT subscription), good read and explains why he has stayed. His painful (having to dismiss people who had been loyal and with/to him for years) reorganization after last season was covered but he knew it needed to be done if the "process" was going to be successful. He continues to focus on the athletes and how to enable them to be successful, and he is able to run the program his way at ISU. We are lucky as a fan base to have him and he seems to be dedicated to building our (and especially the ISU athletes) program.

XC3Y7EW2TZPITC5SOJPYF3X4FQ.jpg