Why is life worth living?

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
If you come here just for sports topics, I apologize in advance, but feel free to hit the back button as this is a different sort of post - and lengthy. If somebody finds it offensive, just report it and I'll remove it. If it's too long, I'm sorry.

Since I'm one of the very few members that is NOT anonymous, I was going to post this under a new account. However, I've gotten to understand I am the ****** up person I am so it doesn't matter if my name is attached to it - be proud of who you are. Hell, I was doxxed with house pictures, tax info, etc the 1st or 2nd year of CF and much worse since. Instead, despite putting more out there about myself than I'd normally like, my hope is maybe a single person somewhere will better understand a loved one, friend or colleague that is challenged and encourage them to seek help if they haven't in the past.

Please understand that while I have to put my story below to convey anything, this isn't a pity party or anything where I'm seeking support. I've had that for 15 years since CF started. This is hopefully to open eyes for somebody else's story to have a good ending and for others to take a chance to tell their story if they so desire.

Most days I wake up dreading the fact that I woke up, but not in the Monday morning work way. Too many times over the years it was predetermined that I wasn't going to, even very recently. Listen to Ghost by Badflower and you'll understand.

Like many people, I suffer from mental health issues - unfortunately something that impacts a lot of people every day.

For me individually, it's a toxic brew of 24/7, chronic anxiety, depression, OCD, and ADHD. I've lived with each forever and each one is it's own beast - together they're a nearly crippling and debilitating pain that I can't begin to describe. Unfortunately, I've been on every conceivable mix of about 30 different medicines - even trials - and they really only take the roughest corners off. Every minute I'm worrying to a near panic attack, doing ruminitions in my head, thinking about problems that need to be solved right now, feeling intense weight on my shoulders, and just hating life.

Because of or as part of my issues, I also have an extreme case of "inner monologue" - where your mind doesn't stop talking and thinking for a second, but magnified with about 4 parallel and intersecting streams. Every conversation I have in a day I play over and over in my mind, second guessing why I did or didn't say something, or how I'm going to handle it, or what about this scenario, etc. It creates a photographic memory, but at a high overhead cost. There is not a second of peace or quiet, it is constant and it's loud - I can be exhausted and literally have my eyes closed on the pillow for 6 hours trying to fall asleep every night to no avail. I thought that's how everybody was wired for the longest time, but I've since understood why people with mental health issues occasionally also have it, and why my wife and I sleep on different floors.

A day at work is filled with solving critical system or process issues, planning, roadmapping, and doing business and technical architecture of varying varieties. But what you don't see is that it's also filled with endless streams of worry, double checking, avoiding social situations when possible, picking up every critical issue to avoid something failing, overcommitting to make people above look good, being exhausted by working 2-3 people worth of work at 70-80 hrs/wk, etc. All because the mind says everybody has to be happy, everything has to be successful, every project needs to get done perfectly, and every plan needs a solution - or else. Everything has a stress point, everything is anxiety, and everything has a consequence. If you truly know how OCD works, you'll understand why it's brutal when mixed with anxiety, depression, and ADHD. It's a truly evil bastard.

I'm introverted and you'd never know any of the above by just looking at me or talking with me or working with me day-to-day. I don't have friends, I don't even know the names of my neighbors of 8 years. My phone has my immediate family, current colleagues for work emergencies, and ISU coaches/players/donors whom we know nothing about each other. There are a few others I've met here but I don't return their texts or calls. People ask me to do things and I never respond. I screen all calls, even of people I look up to and respect. I've never been to a party or "gone out for drinks". My mind just won't let me go there - and believe me, I've tried.

I was finally diagnosed with some of the above in my middle school years and the rest as a teenager, though standard Dr had already determined it. It was first very obvious to others when I got hives when invited to watch a movie with some people and then developed ulcers in my throat from the immense stress - I still get them all the time. At the same time I started medicine around age 10-ish, I tried my first therapist. That went on for a while but was finally told therapy just wasn't going to work for me. I've seen 4 or 5 really good doctors over the years and all have said the same thing after a while of intense effort. And it makes sense. Therapy works wonders for some people - and I'd encourage everybody to try it - but more when it comes to getting to understand the why, the how, or the way to handle something, scenarios, etc. There are certain situations or people it just isn't effective on for whatever reason, despite CBT or any other variation, unfortunately.

With that said, I'm a big believer that my challenges are actually what make me very effective and efficient at my profession. I'm the hardest, most dedicated worker you'll find. I can design technical and business solutions incredibly quickly and with great complexity. I can understand things quicker than Fran's face can turn red. It's also, I believe, why I'm a caring and supportive person (though I do play a good jerk online) - but also a helicopter parent. But the good isn't something my brain can focus on and outside of writing that paragraph, I will self deprecate (not defecate) in every conversation about me.

I won't go into details about my children on here other than to say; Every day I feel intense despair seeing my two amazing children show signs and symptoms of many of my issues. They're mini-mes, just with hair and less to process right now. As they age and encounter various firsts, classes, stresses, etc, it gets harder and more painful every single day. I'm here because I need to help them find ways to better handle life than I have. I need to protect and provide them with the tools and ways to cope. They are the single reason I wake up every morning and hope I do for a long time. But, I'd be lying if I made a promise because each day is a battle in a never-ending war. We never know what tomorrow brings.

As you would guess if you've paid attention, I've reread and changed this probably 60 times over the past 4 hours. And, I'll be thinking about it for the next 24 hours second guessing every damn piece of it why I toss and turn wondering why I can't sleep:)

This is the important part...

While this is part of my story, it is just a starting point, hopefully an opportunity for you or somebody in your life to start the same process I did 30 years ago to seek help. Unfortunately, it will never be a cure. There's no magic pill that makes us all better. Medicine might smooth out the rollercoaster and therapy might work wonders. You have to try everything or you've already failed, and failure only leads one place. I might not be here by the time you get to reading this, but there has to be an attempt.

If you think somebody is struggling - young or old - reach out to them and have an open conversation. Help them when they don't even know they need help. Don't worry about offending somebody. Don't think you're intruding. Be ok that you might open a door you can't close. That's ok if it means at least one person starts the process.

Last edited:

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
We might be twins, unfortunately I know your sister. Other than that I take many pills to cure my ill's. I am very happy with structure in my life with work. I also see 2 therapists, and ya that helps. We do ERMD with one and the other is for different things. ERMD is weird but it eventually get to your core.

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
I have anxiety and depression, and am on a medicine for it. It kind of works, but I still get pretty bad episodes of each. I will replay interractions I have with people (friends and strangers) and nitpick every thing I said or did during that interraction and get lots of anxiety about it. If I'm in 'an episode' and my mind takes me back years about something I might have felt guilty about (I'm talking extremely minor things) it throws me into a bad depression. It sucks, but I've learned I'm not alone as there are millions of people who have different variations of this ****. It can hit anyone: Laywers, farmers, teachers, janitors, ect - your socioeconomic status does not matter.

Stuff that helps me is exercize, church, diet/abstaining from alcohol, meditation, tapping. I'm looking into more natural ways of helping this - taking vitamin D and magnesium. In the end, its something that I will have to live with forever and I try to accept that while at the same time trying to find ways to help manage it. At the end of the day, life is worth living and there are more people that care about you than you will ever realize.

Last edited:

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Jer, my mind races quite a bit too and a lot before bed. That's me running down what I've got to do the next day.
Have you tried CBD? I still will do my chores but if I take 10/15 MG I can lay down and have my "head weight" lifted a little. I don't get the giggles/food cravings, I just feel like I'm on a pool floatie relaxing.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Thanks for putting yourself out there Jeremy. I have a good friend going though something very similar now. I mentioned in another thread that there were days where I was texted 90 plus times and called 5 plus times a day by him. He has a wife and kids and I think that is what is holding him together.

What I want to add, is that if someone knows someone with a mental illness, don't get upset with them just be there. I didn't understand it much until his wife told me that she knew that his safety net was having his phone close and knowing that I would be there, so therefore things would probably work out or at least have possibilities. I am far from a great person or friend in this situation, I have been irritated by the non stop contacts when busy, but know that his family is living through this with him and if I can help him for a few minutes it also gives them a few minutes to collect themselves. So if you know someone with a mental illness, just being there and sitting and watching a show if they want that, or will allow you to, will be a big thing to them. Mental illness affects the whole family, not just the individual with it.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
We don’t know each other personally except that we’ve been internet acquaintances for 15+ years and I’ve read many of your posts and vice versa. I know this goes against everything you said in your post but if you ever want to reach out via PM, please do not hesitate to do so. Sometimes it can be easier to talk to your “unknown” internet friends. :)

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
As someone who has also been diagnosed with OCD and works in the mental health field, I can say what has helped me the most is 4 things. I have had anxiety and panic attacks most of my life. When covid hit, I took the time to invest in myself and read a ton.

1. A therapist that specializes in OCD. PsychologyToday can help you find a therapist who specializes in different mental illnesses. If you live in the state of Iowa, the state is split into regions for mental health services, you can always look up your region online and learn more about what's available in your area.

2. Books about life. I highly recommend anything Pema Chodron. Super easy reads and beautiful perspectives on life. Think Like A Monk by Jay Shetty is solid too.

3. Perspective. I tell people I work with that life has 3 perspectives. There is the hindrance to my comfort perspective. Meaning what is going on is making me uncomfortable and I am a victim. There is the neutral perspective, or as I call it, the monk perspective. You see things as they are. And then there is the opportunity perspective. The great thing about this perspective is it changes all hindrances in to opportunities.

4. Meditation. Learn to connect with your inner self. Too often we are attach feelings to thoughts and other things. If you can learn to not judge your thoughts and feelings, it will help you tremendously.

I should add, don't be in a hurry. Have compassion for yourself when things doing go perfectly.

fcclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 15, 2009
If you come here just for sports topics, I apologize in advance, but feel free to hit the back button as this is a different sort of post - and lengthy. If somebody finds it offensive, just report it and I'll remove it. If it's too long, I'm sorry.

Since I'm one of the very few members that is NOT anonymous, I was going to post this under a new account. However, I've gotten to understand I am the ****** up person I am so it doesn't matter if my name is attached to it - be proud of who you are. Hell, I was doxxed with house pictures, tax info, etc the 1st or 2nd year of CF and much worse since. Instead, despite putting more out there about myself than I'd normally like, my hope is maybe a single person somewhere will better understand a loved one, friend or colleague that is challenged and encourage them to seek help if they haven't in the past.

Please understand that while I have to put my story below to convey anything, this isn't a pity party or anything where I'm seeking support. I've had that for 15 years since CF started. This is hopefully to open eyes for somebody else's story to have a good ending and for others to take a chance to tell their story if they so desire.

Most days I wake up dreading the fact that I woke up, but not in the Monday morning work way. Too many times over the years it was predetermined that I wasn't going to, even very recently. Listen to Ghost by Badflower and you'll understand.

Like many people, I suffer from mental health issues - unfortunately something that impacts a lot of people every day.

For me individually, it's a toxic brew of 24/7, chronic anxiety, depression, OCD, and ADHD. I've lived with each forever and each one is it's own beast - together they're a nearly crippling and debilitating pain that I can't begin to describe. Unfortunately, I've been on every conceivable mix of about 30 different medicines - even trials - and they really only take the roughest corners off. Every minute I'm worrying to a near panic attack, doing ruminitions in my head, thinking about problems that need to be solved right now, feeling intense weight on my shoulders, and just hating life.

Because of or as part of my issues, I also have an extreme case of "inner monologue" - where your mind doesn't stop talking and thinking for a second, but magnified with about 4 parallel and intersecting streams. Every conversation I have in a day I play over and over in my mind, second guessing why I did or didn't say something, or how I'm going to handle it, or what about this scenario, etc. It creates a photographic memory, but at a high overhead cost. There is not a second of peace or quiet, it is constant and it's loud - I can be exhausted and literally have my eyes closed on the pillow for 6 hours trying to fall asleep every night to no avail. I thought that's how everybody was wired for the longest time, but I've since understood why people with mental health issues occasionally also have it, and why my wife and I sleep on different floors.

A day at work is filled with solving critical system or process issues, planning, roadmapping, and doing business and technical architecture of varying varieties. But what you don't see is that it's also filled with endless streams of worry, double checking, avoiding social situations when possible, picking up every critical issue to avoid something failing, overcommitting to make people above look good, being exhausted by working 2-3 people worth of work at 70-80 hrs/wk, etc. All because the mind says everybody has to be happy, everything has to be successful, every project needs to get done perfectly, and every plan needs a solution - or else. Everything has a stress point, everything is anxiety, and everything has a consequence. If you truly know how OCD works, you'll understand why it's brutal when mixed with anxiety, depression, and ADHD. It's a truly evil bastard.

I'm introverted and you'd never know any of the above by just looking at me or talking with me or working with me day-to-day. I don't have friends, I don't even know the names of my neighbors of 8 years. My phone has my immediate family, current colleagues for work emergencies, and ISU coaches/players/donors whom we know nothing about each other. There are a few others I've met here but I don't return their texts or calls. People ask me to do things and I never respond. I screen all calls, even of people I look up to and respect. I've never been to a party or "gone out for drinks". My mind just won't let me go there - and believe me, I've tried.

I was finally diagnosed with some of the above in my middle school years and the rest as a teenager, though standard Dr had already determined it. It was first very obvious to others when I got hives when invited to watch a movie with some people and then developed ulcers in my throat from the immense stress - I still get them all the time. At the same time I started medicine around age 10-ish, I tried my first therapist. That went on for a while but was finally told therapy just wasn't going to work for me. I've seen 4 or 5 really good doctors over the years and all have said the same thing after a while of intense effort. And it makes sense. Therapy works wonders for some people - and I'd encourage everybody to try it - but more when it comes to getting to understand the why, the how, or the way to handle something, scenarios, etc. There are certain situations or people it just isn't effective on for whatever reason, despite CBT or any other variation, unfortunately.

With that said, I'm a big believer that my challenges are actually what make me very effective and efficient at my profession. I'm the hardest, most dedicated worker you'll find. I can design technical and business solutions incredibly quickly and with great complexity. I can understand things quicker than Fran's face can turn red. It's also, I believe, why I'm a caring and supportive person (though I do play a good jerk online) - but also a helicopter parent. But the good isn't something my brain can focus on and outside of writing that paragraph, I will self deprecate (not defecate) in every conversation about me.

I won't go into details about my children on here other than to say; Every day I feel intense despair seeing my two amazing children show signs and symptoms of many of my issues. They're mini-mes, just with hair and less to process right now. As they age and encounter various firsts, classes, stresses, etc, it gets harder and more painful every single day. I'm here because I need to help them find ways to better handle life than I have. I need to protect and provide them with the tools and ways to cope. They are the single reason I wake up every morning and hope I do for a long time. But, I'd be lying if I made a promise because each day is a battle in a never-ending war. We never know what tomorrow brings.

As you would guess if you've paid attention, I've reread and changed this probably 60 times over the past 4 hours. And, I'll be thinking about it for the next 24 hours second guessing every damn piece of it why I toss and turn wondering why I can't sleep:)

This is the important part...

While this is part of my story, it is just a starting point, hopefully an opportunity for you or somebody in your life to start the same process I did 30 years ago to seek help. Unfortunately, it will never be a cure. There's no magic pill that makes us all better. Medicine might smooth out the rollercoaster and therapy might work wonders. You have to try everything or you've already failed, and failure only leads one place. I might not be here by the time you get to reading this, but there has to be an attempt.

If you think somebody is struggling - young or old - reach out to them and have an open conversation. Help them when they don't even know they need help. Don't worry about offending somebody. Don't think you're intruding. Be ok that you might open a door you can't close. That's ok if it means at least one person starts the process.
You are a brave man for putting your vulnerable self out there. Like you, I hope your words can comfort others that may be sharing similar situations/troubling times.

It is obvious by reading some of these replies, you are not alone.

I’m off to listen to Badflower.

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
I take a gummy from time to time to help my brain turn off etc. it helps me a lot and helps me sleep as well. I also do an hour long body message every month which helps with tension etc. I’ve been a people pleaser my whole life to never really receive it back and finally have started to just not give a **** as much. You can’t please everyone, but need to please yourself from time to time. Getting outside more helps too, but leave that phone behind.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
I've had alot of struggles with anxiety and depression. Not so much depression anymore but I still have anxiety issues. I can completely relate to everything you said in your post but I dont think I've had it as long or as severe.

I never had any issues in my life until I hit my early 30s. I got good grades in school, played sports, had friends, graduated college, then got a good job I liked. Then one day I got a new job, much more stress, more responsibilities, 60-70 hour work weeks. Then of course to ease my stress I'd go out drinking and partying. Eventually I started not being able to sleep, I lost alot of weight, I mean who feels like eating when my mind is constantly racing about what projects I need to get done or what people are thinking about me.

Long story short, I completely burnt out about ten years ago. Ended up on disability, losing my job, and having to move back in with my parents.

I had alot of help along the way. I probably tried about 30 drugs that didn't do anything before I gave up, I was too exhausted to do anything anyways from constant anxiety.

I was in therapy for probably 4 or 5 years and that really helped. The things that really helped me are:
-Diet, I eat an extremely healthy, calorie dense diet, I've put on about 30 pounds of muscle. It's amazing how much better you feel when your brian isn't running off alcohol and junk food.

-I have a hobby, one of my assignments in therapy was to find something I coukd handle with zero stress. So picked fishing, could be anything but i had always liked it and it allowed to me get outside, away from people, get some fresh air and sun, and allowed me to actually concentrate on something.

-I got a new job. No I don't make near as much as I used to, but I enjoy it, and I csn work from home, and it's alot less stress. It's not I'm the field I went to college for, but I don't care anymore, money is money wherever it comes from. Don't let anyone judge your self worth by what job you hsve. I'm much happier making alot less money now.

-When I'm feel panicky I do breathing exercises, I know this isn't for everyone but it really does help calm me down.

-I take a supplement called "GABA Complex" right before bed. I sleep like a baby most nights and there's no hangover with it.

-I dont watch anything disturbing or anxiety inducing in the evenings. I know it sounds ridiculous but I don't watch ISU games on weeknights. I can't, just get too worked up and nervous over it, then I'm ruminating all night about how they lost. I record them and watch the next morning.

-i have a really supportive partner who has her own issues. Normally we end up watching something extremely boring at night such as PBS or some boring nature show. It sounds dumb but it really helps me sleep.

-Get a pet if you can handle one, mine passed away about a year ago but if you can find the right animal for emotional support it can be really helpful. (I don't recommend this though unless you have a support system to help you) I tried at first but my anxiety was too overwhelming to even take care of it.

I guess that's my story, anxiety is a never ending struggle but I try to mange the best I can with the tools I've learned along the way.

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
I have anxiety and depression, and am on a medicine for it. It kind of works, but I still get pretty bad episodes of each. I will replay interractions I have with people (friends and strangers) and nitpick every thing I said or did during that interraction and get lots of anxiety about it. If I'm in 'an episode' and my mind takes me back years about something I might have felt guilty about (I'm talking extremely minor things) it throws me into a bad depression. It sucks, but I've learned I'm not alone as there are millions of people who have different variations of this ****. It can hit anyone: Laywers, farmers, teachers, janitors, ect - your socioeconomic status does not matter.

Stuff that helps me is exercize, church, diet/abstaining from alcohol, meditation, tapping. I'm looking into more natural ways of helping this - taking vitamin D and magnesium. In the end, its something that I will have to live with forever and I try to accept that while at the same time trying to find ways to help manage it. At the end of the day, life is worth living and there are more people that care about you than you will ever realize.
Dropping alcohol and attending meetings 2.5 years ago did wonders for me. Glad you have a solution and set of tools that works well.

frackincygy

Jul 13, 2015
I recently learned the Japanese have a beautiful phase for this "ikigai" - which loosely translates to "reason for being". Spoiler like many others I'm still searching for mine... but this is as close as I've come.

For me, life is worth living because I want to keep trying new things with those I love. Creating new memories, sharing new experiences, learning and growing through angst, failure, discomfort, fear, etc.

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
Don't believe you without evidence.
Exhibit A

slow_motion_bouncing_boobs_are_best_12.gif

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I recently learned the Japanese have a beautiful phase for this "ikigai" - which loosely translates to "reason for being". Spoiler like many others I'm still searching for mine... but this is as close as I've come.

For me, life is worth living because I want to keep trying new things with those I love. Creating new memories, sharing new experiences, learning and growing through angst, failure, discomfort, fear, etc.
My father passed when I was 26, I know many have lost their father much earlier, but by age 40 you realize that you truly don't know much, so I've found my purpose is guiding my kids around the pitfalls and helping them where I never received any help from my father. I try not to helicopter, but do find myself at times doing it.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron