Why I like CSU for the Big 12 ...

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
If you read the article, it's 41,000. And it's being built with future expansion in mind. It wasn't that long ago ISU had an official capacity of 43,000.

CSU doesn't draw well. I don't see the on-campus stadium giving them much of a boost.

It is interesting that CSU wants to play the CU-CSU game in Denver because of the money and can't sell their own allotment of tickets to the game. If most of your alums are in the Denver area and won't go see a game against an instate rival, why would they drive 75 minutes to go to an "On-campus" stadium to play Nevada or someday Iowa State?

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Allen HS in Texas put in a 60mil stadium a few years ago. Should we consider them?

My HS put a few million dollar indoor practice facility in a couple years ago. Should the Big 12 look at them? We also averaged 12k attendance last year.

The obvious answer is yes, but only if it's a Nike school

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
That article is from just a couple months ago. Even the official stadium site lists 'capacity' as about 40k, including SRO tickets.
When fundraising fell short they chose from three options: 1. renovate current stadium to last 40 more years at a cost of $150 million; 2. build a 36,000 seat stadium for $195 million; 3. build a 41,000 seat stadium for $220 million. They chose option 3.

No matter who is right, the stadium would have to be expanded if they were to get into a Power 5 conference, and they are building with that in mind.

Styx

Nov 16, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
I would love to be able to walk to an ISU game every other year, but it just isn't going to happen. College football here does not have the following that it does in the midwest. On a fall Saturday the average person would rather be hiking, cycling, rock climbing, mountain biking, kayaking, fishing, or drinking at a brewery instead of watching college football. CSU has had their best years since the turn of the century and they still can't get people to their games. When my brother was a student at CSU, season tickets were included with tuition. As far as I know, this is still the case and students still don't show up even though they just lost a coach who did to them what Hoiberg did to our basketball team. I really don't think the location of the stadium will change this. I think the underlining agenda of the school's administration is to get a new on campus stadium so that they can ban alcohol sales at games with minimal push back from the student body.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
That would mean 2 men's BB coaches in the B12 who don't allow swearing in practice.

:pbiggrin:

Jambalaya

May 29, 2008
http://www.mwcconnection.com/2015/7/1/8872457/colorado-states-big-xii-resume

B9315344295Z.1_20141203003049_000_G939A3QI9.1-0.jpg

Nice school, nice little stadium. In their heyday in the 1990's they rarely filled the old stadium....25,000? unless it were Wyoming in town or Colorado before they moved it to Mile High

Ft Collins great little college town but transient and the population? many don't care about CSU since they're front the west coast. Others love the professional sports.

So if you want ISU to algn with an old WAC or mountain West team, and the Big 12 to dumb themselves down...then go for it.

Eventually Texas will leave and OU and ISU will be playing New Mexico for the Big 12 title

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I don't think CSU makes sense. Geography of 3 time zones - just doesn't work well with West Fashina.

As others have said, Cincy, UCF, USF make more sense from TV, geography, and recruiting footprint standpoints.

I feel same about BYU honestly.

Nothing against CSU, I'd love to go out there for games, and go say hi to LE. Better vacation spot than say, Oklahoma, Kansas, Iowa... well, every other Big12 state.

I think the only way CSU could make sense, is if UT, OU, and a couple others bail to Pac12 or SEC, and we have to rebuild the Big12 completely. Then you would just add everybody with a pulse (including all the above, and maybe Memphis, Houston, Boise, etc) and go east and west divisions. Then hope to be respectable enough in FB that you could become what the Big East used to be before it fell apart-- a basketball league with bad football, but still above the MAC and MWC and considered a "power" league.

Help Support Us

Become a patron