Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
Loans are not income. They are not a payment. They are not unique or specific to NCAA athletes. Anyone can apply for a loan from anyone else based on whatever criteria they two parties agree on.

What is wrong with loaning NCAA players money based on future earnings? Businesses and individuals gets loans on this exact same principle every day.

Thoughts?
When does a loan become a gift? What does a 100k 0% interest loan with a 10 year term look like? What happens when the loan is forgiven?

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Loans are not income. They are not a payment. They are not unique or specific to NCAA athletes. Anyone can apply for a loan from anyone else based on whatever criteria they two parties agree on.

What is wrong with loaning NCAA players money based on future earnings? Businesses and individuals gets loans on this exact same principle every day.

Thoughts?

This is my thinking. Here is also the ridiculousness of this. It isn't against the rules if you could get a bank to give you a loan of 10k with no payments for a year. It is only against the rules if it is an agent.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
That doesn't make any sense.
Yeah it does. The NCAA uses the idea that student athletes are like students and shouldn't be given extra benefits by people that regular students wouldn't get. Your average student can't go to a booster or agent and get a loan. Therefore, student athletes can't either.

I think it probably has more to do with the fact that it's very easy for a "loan" to become a gift, but Yeahbuddy's idea probably plays a role.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Yeah it does. The NCAA uses the idea that student athletes are like students and shouldn't be given extra benefits by people that regular students wouldn't get. Your average student can't go to a booster or agent and get a loan. Therefore, student athletes can't either.

I think it probably has more to do with the fact that it's very easy for a "loan" to become a gift, but Yeahbuddy's idea probably plays a role.

That plays no role. A regular student can make money any way he wants a "student-athlete" can't because "amateurism". aka NCAA protecting its pocketbooks.

• Disagree
Reactions: alarson

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
This is my thinking. Here is also the ridiculousness of this. It isn't against the rules if you could get a bank to give you a loan of 10k with no payments for a year. It is only against the rules if it is an agent.

If the bank wouldn't give that loan to a non-athlete who has a similar financial situation then it would be against the rules.

And for those of you questioning why it is against the rules use some common sense. If loans were allowed you'd have rich boosters give the top recruits "loans" to go to their school.

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016

They can go get a loan if someone is willing to do it. Absolutely they can.

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
If the bank wouldn't give that loan to a non-athlete then it would be against the rules.

And for those of you questioning why it is against the rules use some common sense. If loans were allowed you'd have rich boosters give the top recruits "loans" to go to their school.

Kids get student loans all the time that they wouldn’t EVER get in normal circumstances.

Reactions: rholtgraves

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
Because a bank has no incentive to forgive the loan. If a player takes a booster's school to a Final Four the booster can just forgive that "loan" he gave him during recruitment

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
If the bank wouldn't give that loan to a non-athlete who has a similar financial situation then it would be against the rules.

Of course boosters would pay for kids to go to their school - they are already doing it.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
So, let me get this straight, NCAA players are already on scholarship and need loans? I realize not all athletic scholarships cover every expense regarding classes, tuition, room and boards, books, but you can bet all the 4 and 5 star athletes get all this covered.

If players need loans and have athletic scholarships, then all regular students who have loans should get education scholarships. What did I miss here?

• Disagree
Reactions: Judoka

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016

You know a bank that would do this?

Reactions: isufbcurt

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
So, let me get this straight, NCAA players are already on scholarship and need loans? I realize not all athletic scholarships cover every expense regarding classes, tuition, room and boards, books, but you can bet all the 4 and 5 star athletes get all this covered.

If players need loans and have athletic scholarships, then all regular students who have loans should get education scholarships. What did I miss here?

Don't forget that the NCAA has a "Student Athlete Assistance Fund" that athletes can use to purchase $500 worth clothing, travel expenses between the student-athlete's home and campus and other essential expenses each academic year.