WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
Really? Let's say I am at the top of my class at Harvard in the field of mathematics. Let's say a wall street firm wants to pay me $50,000 for a summer internship with the ultimate hope that I will go to work for them after I graduate. Is this opportunity available to the 'regular student' on campus? No.

But the bigger question, why do you care if I am a student athlete at a school who is going to go pro and would like a loan from an agent now? Does that loan provide me some type of benefit that makes me a better player on the court? No. Does that loan from the agent give my team an advantage? No. What if that agent takes me out to dinner a few times. What competitive advantage does this give me?
Are you also an athlete? If not, then you've just proven it is open to regular students. If you are, were other students who were non-athletes able to apply and were considered? If yes, then it's still open to regular students. You being top of your class doesn't mean you aren't a regular student.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Or maybe as an alumni of ISU I become an agent, with the sole intent of bringing top talent to ISU, by giving them "loans".

You are talking about two totally different things. You are talking about paying players to go to a certain school. I am talking about an agent giving out a loan to a player simply because he needs money . These things will continue to happen regardless, so why not try to make it legal and monitor it. If you make agents go through a process to register and get certified. Make them report all loans and financials to the NCAA and who the represent. What is the problem? Nothing.
You think Monte Morris should get in trouble if say his family in Flint and can't drink the water so let's say they want to move out of flint but can't afford moving costs. Morris asks his agent for $1000 loan for moving expenses. What is wrong with this?

• Disagree
Reactions: CY88CE11

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
If someone is good at something and someone else could benefit from giving them money, they do it. If I could give Wigginton $20k right now so he could live a pretty good life, but I know that in 2 years I’ll get $30k back......I’d do it. Make pretty good money on that deal.

Nothing is stopping you from doing that or _____ player from accepting it.

It would be illegal though, according to the NCAA.

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
I am a loan originator. If I gave the local basketball star a loan that another joe blow college student with the same current financial situation couldn't get, then I would be out of a job.

You mean because it would be illegal to the NCAA?

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
Nothing is stopping you from doing that or _____ player from accepting it.

It would be illegal though, according to the NCAA.

Yeah I’m well aware of that. You should probably mention that rule to the NCAA tho.

istater7

Mar 31, 2010
So, let me get this straight, NCAA players are already on scholarship and need loans? I realize not all athletic scholarships cover every expense regarding classes, tuition, room and boards, books, but you can bet all the 4 and 5 star athletes get all this covered.

If players need loans and have athletic scholarships, then all regular students who have loans should get education scholarships. What did I miss here?
I don’t think these loans were a “need” basis. Probably more of a “I’ll do this thing for you now and you might pay me back some of it later when you have money to live the lifestyle you want to live”. The players were probably sending it back home or spending it on things unrelated to school.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
You are talking about two totally different things. You are talking about paying players to go to a certain school. I am talking about an agent giving out a loan to a player simply because he needs money . These things will continue to happen regardless, so why not try to make it legal and monitor it. If you make agents go through a process to register and get certified. Make them report all loans and financials to the NCAA and who the represent. What is the problem? Nothing.
You think Monte Morris should get in trouble if say his family in Flint and can't drink the water so let's say they want to move out of flint but can't afford moving costs. Morris asks his agent for $1000 loan for moving expenses. What is wrong with this?

2 different things that easily merge into 1 if you allow the first thing.

Every college athlete is going to tell you they need money.

Agents do have to register and be certified.

You don't think an agent can give a loan off the books and not report it? If you think this you live in a shell.

• Agree
Reactions: YeahBuddy

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Really? Let's say I am at the top of my class at Harvard in the field of mathematics. Let's say a wall street firm wants to pay me $50,000 for a summer internship with the ultimate hope that I will go to work for them after I graduate. Is this opportunity available to the 'regular student' on campus? No.

But the bigger question, why do you care if I am a student athlete at a school who is going to go pro and would like a loan from an agent now? Does that loan provide me some type of benefit that makes me a better player on the court? No. Does that loan from the agent give my team an advantage? No. What if that agent takes me out to dinner a few times. What competitive advantage does this give me?

You understand that a "loan" can mean several different things right? This would be so easy to manipulate. Here's a scenario.

Agent wants you to go to a certain school he has a relationship with. He offers to give you a $50,000.00 loan. No interest. No monthly payment. Balloon payment in 10 years, with the agent at all times retaining the ability to forgive the loan. You sign with him, the loan is forgiven. You don't sign with him, its a no interest loan, and I imagine your new agent will pick up the tab. Your basically having money held over your head to effect your decision making process. You don't see how that can effect competition?

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

@YeahBuddy doesn't answer hypothetical questions so you can stop asking

• Funny
Reactions: isufbcurt

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
You understand that a "loan" can mean several different things right? This would be so easy to manipulate. Here's a scenario.

Agent wants you to go to a certain school he has a relationship with. He offers to give you a $50,000.00 loan. No interest. No monthly payment. Balloon payment in 10 years, with the agent at all times retaining the ability to forgive the loan. You sign with him, the loan is forgiven. You don't sign with him, its a no interest loan, and I imagine your new agent will pick up the tab. Your basically having money held over your head to effect your decision making process. You don't see how that can effect competition?

You mean like what is happening right now?

Reactions: rholtgraves

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I think the problem comes when the kid is beholden to an agent or a booster.

What happens if the kid get hurt and doesn't get to go pro? Do they get a loan shark put on them?

What happens when this booster wants them to shave some points or they will get them kicked out of college or worse?

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
So, let me get this straight, NCAA players are already on scholarship and need loans? I realize not all athletic scholarships cover every expense regarding classes, tuition, room and boards, books, but you can bet all the 4 and 5 star athletes get all this covered.

If players need loans and have athletic scholarships, then all regular students who have loans should get education scholarships. What did I miss here?

Not every athlete is on a full scholarship - pretty much only Football and Basketball. And even for those that are it doesn't necessarily cover their full cost of living for the entire year.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Are you also an athlete? If not, then you've just proven it is open to regular students. If you are, were other students who were non-athletes able to apply and were considered? If yes, then it's still open to regular students. You being top of your class doesn't mean you aren't a regular student.

This regular student thing isn't a rule. I don't know where people are getting this. If an agent wanted to give a regular student money, he could take it.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Took a measurement here on the Stupid Meter and this thread broken the gauge. Going to upgrade to digital.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
It's similar to the problem of letting college kids sell autographs. Some booster can decide to give them $5K for an autograph and if they are in charge of their likeness, then that's ok. Who's stop them from doing this as a payment for going to the school they want them to?

Another problem with letting them have summer jobs. Remember the OU quarterback who had a job at a local car dealership? He got to drive around anew car and didn't work any hours for them, but they put in a time card for him and payed him.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009