Who would have thought these numbers were possible

HuddleUp

Jan 9, 2009
Kansas City
...prior to the start of the B12 season.

A few final conference stats of note for ISU:

- 4th in scoring defense (KU, KSU, A&M)
- 3rd in scoring margin ((KU, MU)
- 1st in 3-pt FG% defense
- 2nd in rebounds (KU)
- 4th in rebound margin (KU, KSU, Baylor)
- 2nd in defense rebounds (KU)
- 1st in defense rebound %

We all knew we'd score. The improvement we made in these areas compared to the first month of the season and/or expectations is pretty incredible.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa

- 2nd in rebounds (KU)

We all knew we'd score. The improvement we made in these areas compared to the first month of the season and/or expectations is pretty incredible.

Not bad for a bunch of guys that just wave their arms around!

In reality the difference in this team form the Drake game to the start of the Big 12 was very impressive. They are still not great on defense, but against Drake they were absolutely lost.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Someone smarter than me said early in the year our guys were thinking too much on defense---they weren't sure when to switch on screens and when not to. He said he didn't think it was lack of effort, but they just didn't know. They've certainly learned.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
This definitely proves that there is too much knee-jerk reactions (both ways) when it comes to message boards

HuddleUp

Jan 9, 2009
Kansas City
Not bad for a bunch of guys that just wave their arms around!

In reality the difference in this team form the Drake game to the start of the Big 12 was very impressive. They are still not great on defense, but against Drake they were absolutely lost.

That's funny. I was thinking the same thing. Also doesn't appear that all we care about is "getting out on the break and jacking up 3's"!

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC

- 2nd in rebounds (KU)

This is what sticks out to me. As John Wooden always taught, rebounding is one of the most important aspects of the game.

ManofCyience

Nov 22, 2011
Ames
I noticed during the Kansas State game that we were playing outstanding defense. We were in the faces of all their players, leaving no breathing room to get good shots up. I love it. You can tell that was Fred's motive all season in his post game interviews always talking about the defense first. And let's just take a moment to admire what Babb did all season. Just amazing how he could shut down opposing teams best players. Made a HUGE difference in a lot of games.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron