Who will be our OC for the bowl game?

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
I hope you forgot this:jimlad:. That's actually funny.

I was joking... but only a little. I think it would be both awesome and hilarious if they gave him a one month contract to be QB coach for the bowl game. I also think that there is about a 0.0001% chance of that happening.

Apr 19, 2006
Is Herman gone immediately, or does he stick around through the game?

Which is better?

I heard that he won't be coaching in the bowl game. I don't have a link, but I heard multiple people talking about it including a couple of former players. I think the other poster hit it on the nose with the "ALL IN" scenario.

clonestar12

May 16, 2006
Texas
References from Joe Paterno and Jim Tressel used to look pretty good, too. I'd be a little skittish that Meyer hasn't recovered from his health anxiety yet. Wouldn't want to be around that mess if it blows up again like his last year at Florida.

They still haven't recovered from that.

In any case, which is really more attractive on the resume at the margin: helping refurbish the QB position next year with a 6-6 (or 8-5 or whatever) Ohio State team? Or running the offense of a 9-4 BCS team?

He's bypassing the opportunity for the latter for an opportunity at the former. Now, if his five year plan is to be a national title winning QB coordinator, Meyer gives (certainly doesn't guarantee) that opportunity.

In any case, it's a puzzler.

It was all TH`s decision.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
The last guy who held the position at Ohio State is referred to here as "the video editor".

Ohio State Hires Tom Herman

QB coach is not a promotion. Certainly not a "big" one. I'm sure he wants it for whatever reason, but straight line promotion? No way. Maybe it frees up his future prospects, but it is like going from the executive suite to the staff of another company in hopes that someday the hiring company will promote you to CEO, or you'll get noticed and stolen by a prestigious company for a better job.

But making the move from Offensive Coordinator to upgraded "video editor" (in OSU fans' words) is not a promotion.

Don't get me wrong - QB coach is critical and instrumental, but OC's don't get "promoted" to that position. The proper term is "reassigned."

Best case scenario, he's reshuffling his career to take a launch at a Head Coaching gig. Worst case? He goofed up. Also possible: force-out.

I honestly couldn't tell you which of the three is more likely. All of it is vague.

The "last guy" held the position under an interim coach. I dont think many of the positions at OSU really meant much this season anyways as they knew there was going to be a change in guard the following season.

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Arnaud being our OC for the bowl game would be hilarious. I'd have no problem if he was the QB coach going forward.

No. We all appreciate Austen, but a guy that hasn't been a grad assistant ever and wasn't exactly an example of fine quarterbacking shouldn't be a BCS level qb coach.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
So if he isn't coaching the game then who calls the plays? Bliel? Messinham? The offense is there and the players now the plays just need someone to call the plays which really is the easiest thing to do of all the coaching duties. Hell how many people here have won the NC with ISU in NCAA '12?