• Croney

Votes: 142 47.0%
  • Brock

Votes: 6 2.0%

• Total voters

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Just curious what others are thinking. I like Kene, as I feel like he was really never completely recovered last year.

Either Croney or Nwangwu would likely be the odds on favorites to receive the first handoff from Brock Purdy against the Panthers. Croney enters his final season in Ames after compiling 56 yards and a touchdown on 23 carries last season while Nwangwu, who is widely regarded as the fastest player in the program, added 157 yards on 39 carries of his own in his first year back since missing the full 2017 season due to a ruptured Achilles tendon following his true freshman season.

This is what concerns about Sheldon.

Last edited:

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Croney has proven to be a serviceable back, so he’ll start out. But fierce competition throughout the season

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
My gut said Croney or Nwangwu, but then Lang technically started against OSU last year. Obviously, it doesn't really matter as long as whoever is getting the carries is patient, runs hard, and protects the football. From that standpoint I trust Croney the most because I think he's shown the most patience waiting for his hole to develop and changing speeds well. He's also the best blocker and most likely to fall forward of the returners. Hopefully all of the backs are trusting the line more and seeing the plays develop well.

IH8Iowa24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2016
I personally think Croney or Kene, but I know Chris mentioned on KXNO that Hall was turning heads and having a very impressive camp to the point that there's a potential possibility that we could see Hall out there. However, I think if this is the case, it'll be Croney or Kene technically starting while Hall gets more carries which will obviously increase or decrease depending on performance.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I think that Hall and Lang end up with the most carries on the season, but I feel like Croney gets the first shot.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Since you asked for our thoughts, what I really think at the moment is that I don’t care who starts. Not a whit. Because we’ll be fine, one way or another.

Not many times I’ve been able to say that, over the last few decades. :D

• Agree
Reactions: CubsClones1

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Remember last fall camp when it was a 2 man race for middle linebacker? Then suddenly it became a 3 man race with a true freshman and that true freshman actually won the job and played a fantastic right from the start?

It could happen at running back this year

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
Didn't Kene tweak something last week? Does anyone know how serious that was/is?

CMC gives people reps off of trust. With that said against UNI, I'd expect a more vanilla game plan which makes me believe Croney gets the first carry with Lang backing him up. I expect we will see Hall play as well.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
This is why the worries about replacing Montgomery are overstated in the national media. He was great but we have the depth to sustain without him. We have 3 backs who have done well in the past in their brief opportunities and we have two highly touted freshmen.

• Optimistic
Reactions: VirginSturgeon

PsychedCy09

Jul 8, 2018
I think Croney technically gets the start but he and Lang will be the most featured week 1 with Hall getting some carries before he takes over a couple weeks later.

Reactions: KKramer

KKramer

Sep 25, 2017
This is why the worries about replacing Montgomery are overstated in the national media. He was great but we have the depth to sustain without him. We have 3 backs who have done well in the past in their brief opportunities and we have two highly touted freshmen.

Yeah I agree. We all know how great Montgomery is/was and should have been getting 90% of the carries, but I think now that we don't have a true workhorse back it will both keep defenses off balance with the different running styles behind center, and also open up the playbook to do more things with those different running styles.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

To further your post, I don’t have a clue who will get the first handoff, and in the grand scheme of things I really don’t care. The top guys are all going to get a bunch of carries this year. I mean, I don’t mind the conversation, I’m just saying that, unlike previous years where the headliner was clearly DM, this year it just feels like an entire group so it just doesn’t matter to me who gets it.

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA

While I fall somewhere in between you and the national media, it still needs to be stated - YPC for the rest of the team wasn't good compared to what DM did. That's a fact.

I'm hoping Hall supplants the RB position a few games in and takes over. The others can get spot carries as situational backs. The OL definitely needs to make bigger strides this season or the running game may look bleak. The fact that Purdy can run should help open up some lanes though.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

Ball security is what we lose.

I'd be worried about replacing DM even if we were a top 5 program purely in how uniquely fumble free he was.

Statistically backs just don't get that many carries and break that many tackles with a nearly fumble free career.