Who is the most famous person you have ever seen in person?

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
President Jimmy Carter, I was probably 25 yards or so from him.
I almost got Kevin Garnett's autograph

KG was in Boulder with Chauncey Billups one day. I had my niece and nephew with me (10 and 7 years old). I asked KG if we could get an autograph as the kids were too shy to ask. He looked at me like I was crazy, until I said "for the kids" and then he couldn't have been happier to sign for them. Still makes me laugh.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I'm just going to go with the Presidents since I don't know where I would begin with the other celebrities. I once ran into George H W Bush as I was going into the back door of Curtiss to get to class. He was coming out with his security detail. This is when he was running before becoming POTUS.

I shook hands with Clinton and met Gore at the same event when Bill was sitting POTUS.

I met a very old Gerald Ford at an event and hung out with the SS - The still chuckled about his falling on airplane steps even then years later.

I saw but did not speak to W at another event.

When I saw Obama it was from the back of the room so I don't really count that.

Tedcyclone

Oct 27, 2009
West Des Moines
I have been traveling the past few weeks and managed to see Peter Frampton in the Charlotte Airport. It got me wondering who is the most famous person I have ever run into in person.

So who is yours?

(Concerts do not count)

worked out by "the rock" once. My wife is a big deal, to me at least :) broadway girl for 10 years.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
I'm just going to go with the Presidents since I don't know where I would begin with the other celebrities. I once ran into George H W Bush as I was going into the back door of Curtiss to get to class. He was coming out with his security detail. This is when he was running before becoming POTUS.

I shook hands with Clinton and met Gore at the same event when Bill was sitting POTUS.

I met a very old Gerald Ford at an event and hung out with the SS - The still chuckled about his falling on airplane steps even then years later.

I saw but did not speak to W at another event.

When I saw Obama it was from the back of the room so I don't really count that.

Why were Nazi's hanging out with President Ford?

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Shook Obamas hand the day before the 2008 caucuses. Saw Obama at ISU. Thanks to my former job at the DAM airport I saw Paul Ryan, Mitt Romney and Rick Perry.Perry is a very nice guy.

I have also met Sage Rosenthal, Doug Flutie and all of the ISU football coaches the last few years. I am not proud of it but I am also very distantly related to Tim Dwight.

ameslurker

Jan 21, 2013
Saw Obama in Mason City in I think 2007.

Got Kurt Warner's autograph in StL at a hotel when I was a junior in high school.

MonsterBack

Sep 7, 2008
Parts Unknown
This is a good way to kill the last 10 minutes of work today...

Sports:
Johnny Orr - Golfed with him and ran into him many times over the years
Fred Hoiberg - Met him the summer before he started at ISU.
Keith Sims and Gene Williams - semi-regulars at the bar I worked at
Pete Taylor - many Cyclone outings
Rick Majerous - coaching clinic
**** Enberg - coaching convention

Actors/Actresses:
Clint Eastwood - lunch (with about 12 other people) but I got to meet him
Barbara Eden - Trade show meet & greet
Mickey Jones - He was endorsing our product, so I got to work with him
Willie Aames - He was endorsing our product, so I had to work with him
Kathleen Kennedy - Worked directly with her for about a year
Bill Paxton - many meals and many hours on set throwing the football around. Great guy.
Philip Seymour Hoffman - hung out with him quite a bit in 1995. Also a great guy.
Helen Hunt - ate a few meals with her
Jamie Gertz - hung out with her in the old WOI studio in Ames for a day
Cary Elwes - hung out with him as little as possible in 1995
Abe Benrubi - Drove him around in my tiny car quite a bit to show him around Ames. He's a large dude, but cool.
Alan Ruck - I got so drunk at his birthday party at O'Malley & McGee's that PSH had to drive me back to the hotel.
Jake Busey - Dbag. Tried to avoid him, but we did end up at some of the same parties.
Jeremy Davies - Hung out with him quite a bit
Joey Slotnick - Showed him (and most of the others) around the campustown bars.
Todd Field - Ate breakfast with him several times, but he was pretty boring.
Frank Stallone - He was working on a different film in the same small Oklahoma town that we were, and he showed up on our set on a horse (with Dan Cortese) smoking a cigar and I had to take him to Paxton.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
This is a good way to kill the last 10 minutes of work today...

Sports:
Johnny Orr - Golfed with him and ran into him many times over the years
Fred Hoiberg - Met him the summer before he started at ISU.
Keith Sims and Gene Williams - semi-regulars at the bar I worked at
Pete Taylor - many Cyclone outings
Rick Majerous - coaching clinic
**** Enberg - coaching convention

Actors/Actresses:
Clint Eastwood - lunch (with about 12 other people) but I got to meet him
Barbara Eden - Trade show meet & greet
Mickey Jones - He was endorsing our product, so I got to work with him
Willie Aames - He was endorsing our product, so I had to work with him
Kathleen Kennedy - Worked directly with her for about a year
Bill Paxton - many meals and many hours on set throwing the football around. Great guy.
Philip Seymour Hoffman - hung out with him quite a bit in 1995. Also a great guy.
Helen Hunt - ate a few meals with her
Jamie Gertz - hung out with her in the old WOI studio in Ames for a day
Cary Elwes - hung out with him as little as possible in 1995
Abe Benrubi - Drove him around in my tiny car quite a bit to show him around Ames. He's a large dude, but cool.
Alan Ruck - I got so drunk at his birthday party at O'Malley & McGee's that PSH had to drive me back to the hotel.
Jake Busey - Dbag. Tried to avoid him, but we did end up at some of the same parties.
Jeremy Davies - Hung out with him quite a bit
Joey Slotnick - Showed him (and most of the others) around the campustown bars.
Todd Field - Ate breakfast with him several times, but he was pretty boring.
Frank Stallone - He was working on a different film in the same small Oklahoma town that we were, and he showed up on our set on a horse (with Dan Cortese) smoking a cigar and I had to take him to Paxton.

Safe to say you worked on Twister, huh?

AerospaceClone1

Sep 9, 2011
Going to age myself President Nixon when he came by our farm. Neil Armstrong was on our board of directors, had many conversations with him. STORY Musgrave as I designed hardware for Hubble. G.W. Bush living in Waco at the time and playing golf. AS stopped us at the turn and said to wait and the president would shake our hand.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
George W. Bush at the Farm Progress Show in 2004. Also saw Deron Williams at the ATL airport last year. Was right in front of me on the escalator on the way to baggage claim.

CyBroncos

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
About 10 years ago at a spring training game in Phoenix, I was hanging out on the concourse and Muhammad Ali and his entourage walked right past me. Needless to say I was shocked

belmond64

Oct 5, 2008
elvis lives under my bed.
While on my Senior Class trip to Chicago in 1964 President Johnson was staying in our hotel; The Conrad Hilton. The gentleman in the cafeteria told us to get up early the next morning and stand by the elevator. We were at the elevator at 7:00 a.m. and when the door opened President Johnson and Lady Bird walked out. Someone in back of me yelled at him and he came over and shook my hand. Pretty awesome for a seventeen year old farm kid. Many years later my late wife was being treated for cancer at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota when her brother, who worked for Mayo at the time, took us to a floor in the Mayo Building and we saw and visited with former President Reagan and Nancy Reagan.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jambalaya

May 29, 2008
Fitness pioneer Jack LaLanne personally instructed me once. Met Mitt Romney; George W Bush; many other sports figures

I

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
Oh ya, I also met Bucky Dent, Bruce Sutter, and Oscar Gamble at the National Hot Dog Day event at the Senate Office buildings in DC when I interned out there.

Muzzy

Jan 24, 2009
Iowa
My dad met Evil Knievel in a bar in Vegas back in the 80s and back in the 70s he told me he met "Jaws" from the James Bond movies. He could have been feeding me full of crap though.
Only famous person besides politicians I met Frank from American Pickers. Exciting I know.