• Bob Sanders

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • Other

Votes: 2 1.1%

• Total voters

sodakjoe

Sep 15, 2006
Ames via Sioux Falls, SD
But, wrestling is a fringe sport. Even in Iowa, where it is more popular than probably most states, it is still an afterthought for most people.

I voted for Warner. He is going to be a HOF'er, 3 Superbowls, MVP, in what is the undisputed most popular sport in america, and in the most popular league in america.

Shawn Johnson or Zach Johnson would be good choices too.

Wait...wresting (which is huge in Iowa) is considered a fringe sport, but GOLF is suddenly awesome? ZJ won one major tournament? Maybe a second? I'm honestly unsure. It's got to be Cael. UNDEFEATED. Argument over.

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
Golf is not a fringe sport. Golf is played everywhere all over the planet.

Wrestling hard to find even in the US.

What Cael did is amazing and shouldn't be overlooked, but IMO what Warner is doing on the biggest stage in American sports is more impressive.

Ok golf isn't a fringe sport, but its kinda like baseball. More about eye-hand coordination, but at least you have to run in baseball. In golf, you can get hot for a weekend and win a Major. Zach Johnson has been in the top 10 money list, but I still don't think it compares to Cael.

International wrestling is pretty big actually.

I can see the Warner vs. Cael argument, but I still think what Cael did is so rare that he gets it.

06Panther

Sep 1, 2008
Why are you laughing? He's the most dominant college basketball player in history in the state of Iowa and easily belongs on the list. Maybe you're laughing because he alone has more NCAA tournament wins than your school does in its history? I guess you can't help it, it is pretty hilarious.

:biglaugh: oh my..

06Panther

Sep 1, 2008
Wait...wresting (which is huge in Iowa) is considered a fringe sport, but GOLF is suddenly awesome? ZJ won one major tournament? Maybe a second? I'm honestly unsure. It's got to be Cael. UNDEFEATED. Argument over.

Golf is more popular than wrestling by miles and miles, no question. Do you disagree?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
When you're talking about the Iowa athlete of the decade? I do disagree. It doesn't matter what people outside Iowa think.

Id say even in iowa, golf edges out wrestling. I can say ive definitely seen a lot more coverage of the golf tournaments that have been in west des moines over the years than ive ever heard of wrestling. Id also say most iowans could identify tiger woods, but they could not identify cael.

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
Golf is more popular than wrestling by miles and miles, no question. Do you disagree?

I don't think you will find one person who disagrees with you, but thats not the question. The question is who is the best Iowan athlete of the last decade and the answer is Cael.

I don't think you truly appreciate how hard wrestling is. You go balls to the wall for at least 7 minutes and you can not let up at all or you end up on your back. Wrestling is one of the toughest sports around. What Cael did is truly special, he didn't relax for a match... ever. Not even Gable can say that.

06Panther

Sep 1, 2008
I don't think you will find one person who disagrees with you, but thats not the question. The question is who is the best Iowan athlete of the last decade and the answer is Cael.

I don't think you truly appreciate how hard wrestling is. You go balls to the wall for at least 7 minutes and you can not let up at all or you end up on your back. Wrestling is one of the toughest sports around. What Cael did is truly special, he didn't relax for a match... ever. Not even Gable can say that.

Hey, I know what you mean. I come from a wrestling family. I do appreciate wrestling.

But when I think about the athlete of the decade from this state, I would choose one that has accomplished a lot, and is really recognizable. I think that it is a pretty close call, but I picked Warner. Football is king, and he has done it all, playing the most recognizable position in the most popular sport.

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
Hey, I know what you mean. I come from a wrestling family. I do appreciate wrestling.

But when I think about the athlete of the decade from this state, I would choose one that has accomplished a lot, and is really recognizable. I think that it is a pretty close call, but I picked Warner. Football is king, and he has done it all, playing the most recognizable position in the most popular sport.

Well, agree to disagree. Warner would be my #2.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Kurt Warner plays on a team and all his accomplishments required a good team. I'm not saying he isn't good just not on the level of Cael.

Shawn Johnson won a gold medal... so did Cael. Don't tell me gymnastics takes more work than wrestling. A different kind of work for sure but not harder or better.

None of the others need explanation.

Zach Johnson? Good golfer and if Tiger was from Iowa I would probably vote for him but...

Cael is really the only choice.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown

It's not a popularity contest.

sodakjoe

Sep 15, 2006
Ames via Sioux Falls, SD
Well, actually, it pretty much is.

If not, could you supply me the requirements for being selected?

Being the best athlete. That's it. Whether you're featured in national media shouldn't make a difference.

But if you want to play the national media game, how's this for popularity?

Wheaties_autograph.jpg

UNDEFEATED. This shouldn't even be a discussion. Cael wins, hands down.