"Whip Around" coverage

sodakjoe

Sep 15, 2006
Ames via Sioux Falls, SD
What would other sports be like if we had the whip around coverage concept employed in sports other than NCAA Basketball?

For those unfamiliar, "whip around" coverage is the concept used during the NCAA tournament, especially during the first weekend, to show the closest game all the time. This way, you don't get stuck watching a #1 vs. #16 blowout.

Baseball - with every team playing almost every day, this would be easy to pull off, wouldn't it? But is the action too broken up to benefit?

Football - Like Baseball, is the action too broken up to benefit from whip around coverage? Only one day of coverage, might be easier?

NBA - similar in that many games are played at one time, would viewers be more inclined to watch knowing that they'll always see the best game?

NCAA Football - would the whip around coverage help to stop the running up of scores? Blowouts = less coverage

Would this style of broadcast make watching other sports more exciting? Discuss.

tman24

Feb 6, 2008
I would like nfl to do this. I hate watching KC play somebody good and get destroyed, it would be nice to switch to a better closer game.

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
I personally like how they have it online so you can watch what you want. BUT I hate that I don't have control of the whip a around. Too many times there is a game that I really want to watch and it gets switched to a game that I don't care about.

hawkeyeguy85

Jan 17, 2007
What would other sports be like if we had the whip around coverage concept employed in sports other than NCAA Basketball?

For those unfamiliar, "whip around" coverage is the concept used during the NCAA tournament, especially during the first weekend, to show the closest game all the time. This way, you don't get stuck watching a #1 vs. #16 blowout.

Baseball - with every team playing almost every day, this would be easy to pull off, wouldn't it? But is the action too broken up to benefit?

Football - Like Baseball, is the action too broken up to benefit from whip around coverage? Only one day of coverage, might be easier?

NBA - similar in that many games are played at one time, would viewers be more inclined to watch knowing that they'll always see the best game?

NCAA Football - would the whip around coverage help to stop the running up of scores? Blowouts = less coverage

Would this style of broadcast make watching other sports more exciting? Discuss.

The best part about it is the staggered start times. A lot of times you end up seeing the last 2 or 3 minutes of 3 or 4 games right in a row.

I like being able to watch the end of a couple games in immediate succession.

hawkeyeguy85

Jan 17, 2007
Especially when you're shooting between 2 or 3, 1-point games during the down time between free throws, it's exciting and it raises your blood pressure to be watching that many potential upsets at once.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
I personally like how they have it online so you can watch what you want. BUT I hate that I don't have control of the whip a around. Too many times there is a game that I really want to watch and it gets switched to a game that I don't care about.

Exactly this.

sodakjoe

Sep 15, 2006
Ames via Sioux Falls, SD

While you may live out of it, they do broadcast one game to a particular school's broadcast zone. So, if Iowa or ISU were playing, the state of Iowa would get that game and that game only. Other places get the whip around.

sodakjoe

Sep 15, 2006
Ames via Sioux Falls, SD
Another thing I thought of, this is one of the things that makes the Olympics enjoyable for me. I don't have a vested interest in any one sport, so the "Oh, we have a break here, so let's go to this other place" kind of deal appeals to me.

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
While you may live out of it, they do broadcast one game to a particular school's broadcast zone. So, if Iowa or ISU were playing, the state of Iowa would get that game and that game only. Other places get the whip around.

That is a very good point as yesterday I didn't get to see any of the Pit game until there was only like 10min in the second half. (well not in HD, but did watch the rest on the PC)

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Now that we are in the digital broadcast era...I'd like to see a game broadcast OTA in HD on the primary and secondary channels...two games at one time.

hawkeyeguy85

Jan 17, 2007
Now that we are in the digital broadcast era...I'd like to see a game broadcast OTA in HD on the primary and secondary channels...two games at one time.

I'd like to see them figure out how to just keep the one game in focus for more than 30 seconds first, but two games would be awesome.

tman24

Feb 6, 2008

I would like this for the NFL. maybe have the regional game on the primary and then the national game on the secondary. i can even have the secondary be in standard def.

Help Support Us

Become a patron