Which of our prior offensive coordinators would you prefer?

Which of our prior offensive coordinators would you prefer?

• Total voters

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
They all had their issues. Manning just doenst do well calling plays in some games for some reason. It also takes too long for him to get things figured out at times. He need another dimension to this seasons offence.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Didn't Campbell or somebody say Loney was an offensive analyst right now? I'm pretty sure I remember seeing him in some photos last year. So he's not working with players, but definitely working with the coaches.

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
They all had their issues. Manning just doenst do well calling plays in some games for some reason. It also takes too long for him to get things figured out at times. He need another dimension to this seasons offence.
This. The offense can dominate one week and not show up the next. And for some reason they usually suck coming off a bye week, looking like they didn't prepare at all. The offense is pretty easy for an opponent to figure out.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
2019 is deceiving. They had a couple of games against bad teams where they racked up tons of yards and points (ULM for example) that make the offense better than it really was. When we needed our offense to win a big game, they couldn't. They were very inconsistent. Throughout the Campbell era, there have been multiple games where the defense did their job and played well enough to win but our offense couldn't muster more than 20 points or do enough to win the game.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I think it may of been Campbells second year that the Oline was terrible to start but by the end of the year they were pretty good. Manning was still the OL coach.

I was thinking it was his first year that the OL went from horrible to serviceable by the end of the year. That was the OL that had no starts returning, but got a grad transfer and a couple walkons that played their hearts out.

Really not sure why the OL has had such a struggle to get and keep guys. There were a lot of guys in the first 2-3 years of Campbell at ISU where the OL didn't pan out, didn't show up, or quit the team after a year. You can see that in the class distribution. There are only 2 senior on the OL, I think.

• Agree
Reactions: Scott34

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Part of reconciling this ongoing debate is us being honest. Manning isn't an awful coordinator. But we are surrounded in this league by some pretty brilliant offensive minds: Riley at OU, Gundy at OSU, I hate that i'm typing this Herman at TX, Baylor historically....... In the last 15 years in our league the offenses set a high bar.

Your stats indicate Manning is the best we've had in a long time. (one could argue our past coordinators never had a Purdy though)

I do wish coach Manning's in game adjustments were more like Heacock. We truly hit the jackpot in John Heacock.

Damnit this staff had to go and recruit players with more talent and skewed the statistics!!

clone4sure

Sep 5, 2014
I'm sure Steve Looney would have utilized Nuwango and put him in a receiver role to stretch the field and take pressure off of Brock. he probably would roll Brock out and give him the option to run or pass. that style of play suits him best. way too many passes hurried or batted down at the LOS.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I think Manning overall is a pretty good coordinator. Certainly does some things that drive me nuts, but lets be honest, that's almost every fanbase with their offensive coordinator.

Meh, he lays eggs. For a few years now, our offensive success has come almost solely by tremendous individual effort and playmaking. In general, our success looks very difficult most of the time because it's consisted of great plays by Lazard, Butler, Montgomery, Purdy, etc. We haven't gotten a lot of production from guys who aren't NFL guys and when you're ISU, that limits your ceiling. This team, right now, on the perimeter is in really tough shape. We've recruiting a bunch of huge targets with very little in the way of guys who can get open. With Milton out, we seem to have one passable receiver and a bunch of TEs, which is completely fine until they're taken away and you need 2 or 3 other guys that can win matchups.

I just think that right now we have a good defense paired with an offense that's going to limit the success of this team to 8 or 9 wins. That's a perfectly fine season but the amount of difference between that and winning the conference, let alone, any sort of playoff discussion is vast.

We also aren't winning in the margins which is even more disappointing. The pre snap stuff is Kindergarten margin stuff. We will see what happens the rest of the year but I don't think we are close to beating KSU right now and it's definitely possible we lose to UT.

DarkStar

Sep 15, 2009
Omaha
Doesn't matter who we have as OC as long as CMC is in charge. He has a certain style of offense he is looking to run and that is what we are going to run.

Not a get rid of CMC post. Just accepting CMC for who he is.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron