Where should I move?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I don't know much about Colorado Springs other than there is a lot of turnover with military families coming and going. For the OP, if he is coming from Minnesota. I thought it would be okay to talk about the negatives of Colorado. Usually all you here are the good things. No forest fires or water supply issues in Minnesota. Could be a big shock for people coming from the Midwest especially if you have young kids with breathing problems. 200,000 acres burned just west of Fort Collins. Not going to get in a pissing contest but the smoke here was not an enjoyment for "outdoor activities." As far as natives go, Fort Collins natives have mostly fled out of the city. Colorado also has some serious issues with water supply. Just letting people know that to some people this may be a show stopper. For others, they may not care.

I'd never tell anyone where to live, but I can say what you said about CO I have found not to be true. But unlike many on this thread, we'd never chose a place to live because of family. We'd never live anywhere again that has humidity. I'm retired and my wife is WFH so traffic is a non-issue - I can pick my schedule for errands. The older we get, the less interest there is to live in the north or the midwest. Fires are common in the entire west and CoSprings has only had a few bad smoke days. Spokane was WAY worse for air quality. The turn-over at the bases is a non-issue and this a a GREAT flag-waving community that also doesn't give a crap about other people's opinions - very live and let live. This is a high tech community and there are many, many career military officers that make it home. Real mountains, real athletic and active community (the olympic feel is huge here), numerous great touristy things to do, and we love it here.

I don't think you were running anything down, but we've not experienced any of your negatives...

• Informative
Reactions: BigCyFan and Nelcyn

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Salt Lake County is about 50% LDS, and most of the counties in Utah outside of there are a higher %. I would say there are definitely pockets within the city that have mostly "normie" residents and in general the further you are away from SLC city proper the higher the number of LDS residents there are. That being said, Mormons are ridiculously friendly (that's kind of their whole brand) and I haven't had a single one to try to try talk to me about their religion since I moved here. TBH, it really doesn't affect my day to day life much at all.

I worked with many Mormons in SLC at the pipeline I dealt with. WONDERFUL people who walk the talk and never preach (in my experience). You can easily be friends with Mormons, but you will never be "IN" with Mormons. In many things - business, hiring, etc. - "family" can really matter. Last thing - I've never seen family units as tightly connected as the Mormon families I've been with.

And honestly - their religion is no more goofy than any basic christian religion. Both have impossible to believe stories that can only be swallowed with a HUGE amount of faith but I guess that's the definition of every religion.

NOT scientology. No - THAT is completely rational and supported by top science men. TOP science men.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I worked with many Mormons in SLC at the pipeline I dealt with. WONDERFUL people who walk the talk and never preach (in my experience). You can easily be friends with Mormons, but you will never be "IN" with Mormons. In many things - business, hiring, etc. - "family" can really matter. Last thing - I've never seen family units as tightly connected as the Mormon families I've been with.

And honestly - their religion is no more goofy than any basic christian religion. Both have impossible to believe stories that can only be swallowed with a HUGE amount of faith but I guess that's the definition of every religion.

NOT scientology. No - THAT is completely rational and supported by top science men. TOP science men.

Scientology is actually slightly more plausible to me than Mormonism.

FilthyShadow

Sep 21, 2011
Been to the Raleigh/Durham RTP area multiple times through out the years. Winters great but need a knife to cut through humidity during summer. Can hardly breath so oppressive. If Charlotte anything like that then AC is a must along with a dry towel prior to heading outdoors.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx

You should have spent more time there, I've never encountered so many people who were disowned by their families and said a religion ruined their lives as I did when I lived there.

But many are very nice, the closer to the city the better.

Reactions: DarkStar

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Been to the Raleigh/Durham RTP area multiple times through out the years. Winters great but need a knife to cut through humidity during summer. Can hardly breath so oppressive. If Charlotte anything like that then AC is a must along with a dry towel prior to heading outdoors.
The humidity is what turned me off from N.C. Not sure I could handle that, unless you're up in Asheville area.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I'm thinking of doing the same thing in the next year or two. No kids. I think we'll just do extended AirBNB stays and check out a new city every 4-6 weeks for a year. I checked out a couple of the cities we are considering and that seemed like it would work. Have you looked into that?

That's exactly what I did but the cost was crazy. Probably has something to do with the type of houses. For example, when we go somewhere like Palm Springs for a week I'll get spring for a house with a pool. Paying $200/night isn't that big of a deal for a week's vacation. If I do that for 5 weeks we're talking $7k, which is a big deal to me.

DarkStar

Sep 15, 2009
Omaha
The humidity is what turned me off from N.C. Not sure I could handle that, unless you're up in Asheville area.
  • You don't move to MSP if you don't like cold and snow.
  • You don't move to the southeast if you don't like sweating in oppressive humidity or the southwest dehydrating in blast furnace dry heat and spending your summers inside in the air conditioning.
  • You don't move to the PNW if you don't like liquid sunshine aka overcast with rain or a light mist always coming down.
  • You don't move to the Northeast if you don't like all of the above. The Northeast is second only to Oklahoma in the worse weather in the nation.

If weather is your issue, then pick a location where their type of weather is something you can receive edification in enduring it's worse aspects and celebration in its best.

Nirvana is a state of mindfulness and spirituality, it does not exist in the physical world.

Last edited:

Nothingman

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 31, 2006
That's exactly what I did but the cost was crazy. Probably has something to do with the type of houses. For example, when we go somewhere like Palm Springs for a week I'll get spring for a house with a pool. Paying $200/night isn't that big of a deal for a week's vacation. If I do that for 5 weeks we're talking $7k, which is a big deal to me.

Yeah $200 a night would be considerably out of my budget long term. $50-$70 per night would be in our budget and I saw quite a few options in that range.

Nelcyn

Nov 29, 2012
Colorado
Are you f-ing serious? Hy-Vee is the worst thing to happen to food since Jesus was in diapers.
Yes. I haven't followed the politics surrounding it. I am serious. I know it is more expensive there as well. However, I would pay more for cleanliness, organization, and stocked shelves. At least what I have heard from people that still live in Clive and use the West Des Moines Hy-Vee.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
I am truly surprised by the amount of people recommending southern states. I don't know the OP's background or personality, but I do spend a lot of time in the Twin Cities and most people I know there would have a serious culture shock moving to Tennessee or North Carolina. Texas or Alabama would kill them. A lot of the cities mentioned are really great places to visit, but as someone who served his sentence in the South, I can honestly say I wouldn't want to live there again.

That being said, different people have different tastes and to quote Too Short, "You gotta get in where you fit in."

aauummm

March is National Celery Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
I am truly surprised by the amount of people recommending southern states.
The OP and his wife had narrowed their choices to Nashville, KC or Charlotte and cited the brutally cold Mpls weather and snow as the reasons for wanting to relocate to a warmer, milder climate. The OP then asked for recommendations and thoughts. I think that is the reason that a lot of the recommendations and comments involved those specific cities and other areas with milder climates, hence southern areas.

Last edited:

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
The OP and his wife had narrowed their choices to Nashville, KC or Charlotte and cited the brutally cold Mpls weather and snow as the reasons for wanting to relocate to a warmer, milder climate. The OP then asked for recommendations and thoughts. I think that is the reason that a lot of the recommendations and comments involved those specific cities and other areas with milder climates, hence southern areas.

Sure, I understand that. I was just surprised that there were so many positive things said about North Carolina especially and the other southern states mentioned.

Millions of people live there and like it. Maybe it just isn't for me, like I said before, great places to visit.

I personally like South Carolina more than NC. Columbia is great, Charleston is one of my faves and the beaches aren't as busy or developed as NC's.

Reactions: aauummm

cyputz

Jul 26, 2006
This thread got me thinking.
Firstly, probably wouldn’t move because it’d take a lot for my wife to reestablish her career. But if I did...

I think I’d go for a North Carolina city if I was feeling urban. Random anecdotal fact: I believe year round school is more common there. I’m a big fan of that idea on the surface.

Within 90 minutes of Boise if I wanted to “rough it” in the woods/mountains.

Have fun. A bit jealous of your situation. I’m begrudgingly working remotely, but still have to stay close by. Worst of both worlds.

You actually have a choice of year round or traditional here in Wake Forest - assume the same elsewhere. Once in high school, it’s all traditional. Also Private/Charter schools.
IF it snow a couple inches, it freaks local out, the Yankees just keep on trucking on. It will cancel school.

cyputz

Jul 26, 2006
Maybe this was already mentioned (didn't read every post) but consider the Triangle in North Carolina.

*Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, and the major suburbs (like Cary) all have very distinct feels to them, so you're bound to find one that you prefer, but they're all close to enjoy the benefits of each. They're all so different that I would recommend anyone moving to rent for at least a few months and spend that time exploring each before buying property.
*Very fast-growing metro area - NHL team, AAA baseball team, three ACC schools for football/hoops. Go to games at the Dean Dome and Cameron Indoor Stadium.
*Fits your climate preferences exactly. You get four seasons, but coming from the Midwest, the short, mild winters will be refreshing.
*Tons of outdoors-y stuff to do, tons of breweries, and you're right in the middle of the mountains and the beach. 3.5 or 4 hours to either depending if you drive west or east. Easy to make a long weekend out of either.
*One of the most highly educated regions in the whole country. Education is a priority. It's pretty easy to find outstanding public schools if you pay any attention when you move.

I know that you mentioned Charlotte but if I was spending significant time in the Carolinas I would choose the Triangle over Charlotte 10 times out of 10.

Very well stated!!
We moved in 2019, and have a tremendous amount of movement planned during the fall/winter months. Summer months spent in MN at cabin. Retired from Iowa. Born and raised in ND.

Good luck with your decision

iowastatefan1929

Oct 26, 2006
northwest kenucky
dont go to nashville or charlotte thatz whar everyone is moving

and it used to be everyone was moving to LA and then Denver

and what happened there?