Where should I move?

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
They are everywhere, it's Utah. Park City is really cool though, but you will still meet and mingle with a ton of Mormans.

Utah is nice.

Probably not moving to PC though. That’s like saying Vail is really cool.

Reactions: Macloney

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
-We can both work remotely so any location in the US is ok.
-Would like to stay in a larger metro area, but one that has a similar or less cost of living to MSP.
-Don’t want to live somewhere that’s hot all year round. We don’t hate the cold and snow, just cannot take 8 inches of snow in October. Would like mild winters.
-No kids yet, but will in 3-4 years, so we plan on living in the burbs.
-Love to golf, hike, brewery hop, be outside. Would like to be able to do these at least 9-10 months a year.

Maybe this was already mentioned (didn't read every post) but consider the Triangle in North Carolina.

*Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, and the major suburbs (like Cary) all have very distinct feels to them, so you're bound to find one that you prefer, but they're all close to enjoy the benefits of each. They're all so different that I would recommend anyone moving to rent for at least a few months and spend that time exploring each before buying property.
*Very fast-growing metro area - NHL team, AAA baseball team, three ACC schools for football/hoops. Go to games at the Dean Dome and Cameron Indoor Stadium.
*Fits your climate preferences exactly. You get four seasons, but coming from the Midwest, the short, mild winters will be refreshing.
*Tons of outdoors-y stuff to do, tons of breweries, and you're right in the middle of the mountains and the beach. 3.5 or 4 hours to either depending if you drive west or east. Easy to make a long weekend out of either.
*One of the most highly educated regions in the whole country. Education is a priority. It's pretty easy to find outstanding public schools if you pay any attention when you move.

I know that you mentioned Charlotte but if I was spending significant time in the Carolinas I would choose the Triangle over Charlotte 10 times out of 10.

Last edited:

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
love it. I’d live in Madeira or Treasure island even with all the tourists. It’s still pretty old school down there outside of CW. Caddy’s on the Beach is one of the chillest beach bars I’ve ever been to. Think it’s on Sunset Beach just south of TI.

Im waiting for a bottom to fall out in real estate down there and then I’m going to buy a condo to snowbird at. Possibly well before I retire at this point with COVID.
Do you have any opinions on Jacksonville? I have thought about purchasing a practice in that area and spending part of my time down there.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I moved to Portland and ended up in this situation. The down side is the number of choices is really overwhelming. We’ve stayed though because we love it here.

• Friendly
Reactions: Angie

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Do you have any opinions on Jacksonville? I have thought about purchasing a practice in that area and spending part of my time down there.

Never been to Jacksonville. I’m kind of a slappy for the gulf side. Just a completely different beach and water situation.

TexCyted

Oct 30, 2018
DFW
We have some friends that moved to Clearwater / Tampa, FL. They claim it has been a great change with access to the beach and warmer temps. Anyone visited this area?

My parents owned a condo on Madeira Beach for several years and wintered there. They followed us to TX to be close to grandkids though and ended up selling it. It is a great area with plenty to do, still pretty tourist driven. I would not want to live there mostly because of that, it tends to drive prices up on a lot of daily needs as well as recreation.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
My parents owned a condo on Madeira Beach for several years and wintered there. They followed us to TX to be close to grandkids though and ended up selling it. It is a great area with plenty to do, still pretty tourist driven. I would not want to live there mostly because of that, it tends to drive prices up on a lot of daily needs as well as recreation.

One other thing I’ll mention about Madeira, TI, Clearwater area is the close access to Tampa/St Pete. Two good airports, Ybor City, and every pro sport would be nice amenities if one was to live there.

• Agree
Reactions: TexCyted

BCoffClone125

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 19, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
Are the Mormons just everywhere out there or are there “Mormon areas” and “normie areas”?

Salt Lake County is about 50% LDS, and most of the counties in Utah outside of there are a higher %. I would say there are definitely pockets within the city that have mostly "normie" residents and in general the further you are away from SLC city proper the higher the number of LDS residents there are. That being said, Mormons are ridiculously friendly (that's kind of their whole brand) and I haven't had a single one to try to try talk to me about their religion since I moved here. TBH, it really doesn't affect my day to day life much at all.

NodawayRiverClone

May 1, 2018
Think about what you might miss in the upper midwest. For instance, a lot of places in the intermountain west feature sand and rocks with a little soil and less water.

In places to consider, I would agree with those mentioning Asheville, NC or Greenville, SC. If KCMO is not quite it, look at Springfield, MO or St. Louis, MO. Then pick Des Moines area and bike a lot - trail availability is greatly improving.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Salt Lake County is about 50% LDS, and most of the counties in Utah outside of there are a higher %. I would say there are definitely pockets within the city that have mostly "normie" residents and in general the further you are away from SLC city proper the higher the number of LDS residents there are. That being said, Mormons are ridiculously friendly (that's kind of their whole brand) and I haven't had a single one to try to try talk to me about their religion since I moved here. TBH, it really doesn't affect my day to day life much at all.
Wait until you’re on the frontrunner with some missionaries heading to the airport!

Reactions: Angie

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I moved to Portland and ended up in this situation. The down side is the number of choices is really overwhelming. We’ve stayed though because we love it here.

I wouldn't willingly move anywhere that doesn't have Pok Pok wings, if I were you.

Reactions: simply1

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
My wife and I are seriously considering moving away from Minneapolis as the upcoming winter is killing our spirits. The brutal cold essentially stops us from doing what we enjoy to do 5-6 months of the year and we can’t take it anymore. Our top three so far are Nashville, KC and Charlotte, but we are open to any and all suggestions.

-We can both work remotely so any location in the US is ok.
-Would like to stay in a larger metro area, but one that has a similar or less cost of living to MSP.
-Don’t want to live somewhere that’s hot all year round. We don’t hate the cold and snow, just cannot take 8 inches of snow in October. Would like mild winters.
-No kids yet, but will in 3-4 years, so we plan on living in the burbs.
-Love to golf, hike, brewery hop, be outside. Would like to be able to do these at least 9-10 months a year.

Let’s hear some suggestions!

Dallas Ft Worth. Mild Winters. Fairly cheap too.

Reactions: cstrunk

Candide

Jan 4, 2020
Livin the Moon Times
Boise is the new Denver and Missoula is the new Boise.

But....Bellingham, WA is truly the spot to be though. Amazing opportunities for outdoor activities, mild winters and amazing food and beer. An hour and a half from Seattle and an hour from Vancouver. Skiing close, hiking, biking and salmon fishing everywhere. With just under 100,000 people it is just big enough to have everything you need and small enough to not get the real hassles of the city.

Guys, I've been to almost every state and besides So Cal, which is over the top expensive, it is my number one choice of places I would like to move to.

Last edited:

BamaClone

Jan 14, 2014
Have you thought about Huntsville Alabama. Low cost of living, good housing at low price, low taxes. Nice TN River for fishing and boating. Great bass fishing on Guntersville Reservoir. Mountains with hiking (foothills of Appalachians), Several nearby State parks. Gulf beaches with in 5 hours. Mild winters with occasional snow. Summers not too bad (95). Seldom windy. Voted one of the best bargain cities. Has several micro-breweries.
I moved here from Iowa 30 years ago, never regretted it. Have run into several Cyclones in the area.

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
We have traveled in every region of the US, Caribbean & Mexico. Not a fan of metropolitan areas, all seem the same with traffic, housing and expansion problems. 100,000 to 200,00O pop works. Carolina’s are a sweet spot. Mountains & ocean are available, temperate climate & southern cooking is fabulous.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron