Where are the Iowa sunshine pumpers?

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
I think the best part of the whole game was many of the Iowa fans I know had let themselves believe they had a decent team. Even in the face of poor schedule and barely beating bad opponents they were convinced they had something.

I honestly do try and root for Iowa. I think my posting history here would support that as well. But I also don't mind when their oblivious fan base gets put back in line occasionally.
Iowa has a "decent" team. But they don't have a P5-conference-champion-caliber team or a CFP-caliber team, and as has been pointed out, they probably won't until they change their offensive philosophy.

I think the "moral of the story" from the conference championship games is that to be the conference champion, a team needs a good, competent offense, and can't simply hide behind its defense.

• Winner
Reactions: aauummm and iahawks

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
I think the best part of the whole game was many of the Iowa fans I know had let themselves believe they had a decent team. Even in the face of poor schedule and barely beating bad opponents they were convinced they had something.

I honestly do try and root for Iowa. I think my posting history here would support that as well. But I also don't mind when their oblivious fan base gets put back in line occasionally.

I think Iowa does have a decent team, but obviously can't compete with the elite teams this year. They are 10-3 and winning double digit games is never easy especially for a team with such a bad offense.

• Dumb
Reactions: Cyclones1969

Pitt_Clone

Nov 15, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Had I bothered to watch I would've cheered for Michigan as well. This false pleasantry charade is tiresome. I wouldn't cheer for Iowa if I were paid to thanks in no small part to their fanbase.
I think some people were cheering for Iowa because they wanted to see the Big 10 shut out of the CFP. I was conflicted going in but by the time the game started I was hoping they would get blown out. Couldn't help it.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Iowa has a "decent" team. But they don't have a P5-conference-champion-caliber team or a CFP-caliber team, and as has been pointed out, they probably won't until they change their offensive philosophy.

I think the "moral of the story" from the conference championship games is that to be the conference champion, a team needs a good, competent offense, and can't simply hide behind its defense.
The way the rules have evolved, and the interpretation of the rules have evolved, it's really hard to win with a defense first philosophy. You can have a dominant defense, and the chances you don't get a few PI penalties, or give up a few big chunk plays are really slim. It's certainly not an approach that can sustain a conference championship type season.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
'Take away the long touchdowns and 4th quarter scores and it's not a blow out'.

This is what they do.
I saw that several times on FB. I was thinking….umm no you hoks were never in that game stop it

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
I think some people were cheering for Iowa because they wanted to see the Big 10 shut out of the CFP. I was conflicted going in but by the time the game started I was hoping they would get blown out. Couldn't help it.
Same here. If OkSU had won, it might have been a different story. I can't remember the last time I cheered for an Iowa team.

Reactions: Pitt_Clone

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
OI94D9fS_400x400.jpg
It looks to me like Sage is holding an imaginary microphone. LOL.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Iowa does have a good secondary but some of their turnover margin in the hot start was luck. That good fortune, solid defense, a very good punter, and the typical vanilla big ten west were able to mask just how anemic their offense is this year.

They are a fringe top 25 team that gutted out some close games to finish with a lot of wins. Credit to them for that because our WVU, tech and Baylor games were close games we should have gutted out as well.

• Agree
Reactions: jmb and iahawks

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Had I bothered to watch I would've cheered for Michigan as well. This false pleasantry charade is tiresome. I wouldn't cheer for Iowa if I were paid to thanks in no small part to their fanbase.

I watched...and wish I would have watched Michigan more this fall! Wow...they are loaded and fun to watch! Or...their opponent made them appear so...

Reactions: Cyclonick182

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021

I was watching the basketball game, and did not see any of the hawk game. My social media told me all I needed to know about how it was going though.

speaking of that @JRJ, I’m sure being an Iowa State fan, you too watched the basketball game. Wasn’t that an impressive effort by TJ’s team?

have never seen you comment on anything but pro Iowa stuff for the 7 years you've been a member. You’d think no one could be that big of a loser to join a site of a team they don’t live, and not post for 7 years, right? It’s impossible to be that big of a loser.

• Dumb
Reactions: DhaCheann

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I watched...and wish I would have watched Michigan more this fall! Wow...they are loaded and fun to watch! Or...their opponent made them appear so...
Michigan seems pretty legit. Really talented on defense. Their loss to MSU was one of those games that sure felt like if they played 10 times Michigan would win 8 or 9 times.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfanatic

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron