When was the last time ISU won a tournament - Not in Hilton?

JCloned2

Dec 29, 2008
The upcoming Diamond Head tournament in Hawaii got me wondering when was the last time ISU won a holiday tournament. (other than our own). St. Marys and Boise State both have the potential in the other half of the bracket to make it tough, but I think as fans we hoping to bring home the trophy and be 11-0 with a Christmas day win.

Anyone remember what was the last 1st place trophy we brought home?

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
South Padre 2 years ago, but I seem to remember there wasn't an actual "champion" as the thing wasn't setup as a tournament. Otherwise the Rainbow Classic in Hawaii in '05

JCloned2

Dec 29, 2008
South Padre 2 years ago, but I seem to remember there wasn't an actual "champion" as the thing wasn't setup as a tournament. Otherwise the Rainbow Classic in Hawaii in '05

Wasn't a particularly impressive field that year. I think St. Mary's and Boise are both NCAA tournament teams so a win this year is likely more impressive from NCAA seedings standpoint.

2005 Rainbow Classic:
Team (2004 record)

Colorado State (11-17)
Western Michigan (20-13)

Loyola Marymount (11-17)
Hawaii (16-13)

Northwestern State (21-12)
Oregon State (17-15)

Iowa State (19-12)
South Florida (14-16)

Kagavi

Mar 4, 2013
California
www.kagavi.com
Some Kagavi-y facts:

The 1946-47 team participated in the Big Six Holiday Tournament, playing Kansas, Nebraska, and Missouri on consecutive days starting December 12. This is the first recorded example I can find of a tournament that isn't at the end of the year. Cyclones.com had an article last December about it: KC Municipal Auditorium Home to Many ISU Memories - Iowa State University Athletics Official Web Site - www.CYCLONES.com - The home of Iowa State Cyclone Sports

Perhaps the very first example of a tournament won by ISU took place in the 1966-67 season. ISU won the Sun Devil Classic in Tempe, AZ by thumping USC 89-68 on Dec. 20 and Texas 101-87 on Dec. 21. This team was led by star Don Smith (Zaid-Abdul-Aziz) who UCLA coach John Wooden called one of the best players UCLA faced on their way to winning a 4th consecutive national championship. Similarly, star Lew Alcindor (Kareem Abdul-Jabbar) compared him to NBA legend Elvin Hayes. After winning this tournament, ISU led the Big 8 in scoring with a 84.7 average. The ISU team played in the Big 8 Holiday Tournament and lost the championship game in a close one to (stop me if you've heard this before) Kansas.

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN

Pretty sure UNI technically won that one on point differential.

Last edited: