When did Cyclone Football turn the corner....

Chizit

Dec 21, 2008
Section L, Row 11
Winning Saturday would be a huge step for this program. Two wins against top 5 teams in two years. Would also push us in to the top 25.

I'm just as happy as you that Chizik didn't take the extension. I do think about it a lot. Same with Mcdermott. Things seemed to work out well for everyone in the end. Pollard got his second chance at hiring, Mcdermott is where he belongs, the Mayor is back, the football program is heading the right direction, and Chizik is gonna get canned.

CycloneYoda

Jan 27, 2009
ISU football has turned numerous corners since 95. The challenge has been that our path has many corners.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I think the 2009 Nebraska game was a big turning point. Up until that point I think people were happy with the Rhoads hire but not blown away yet. That game was big in that us as fans realized we had something special, and the excitement around the program took off that day and hasn't let up. And while Rhoads has done some great things here, he is nowhere near his ceiling.

cyclonestunners

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 14, 2011
Wow... I just listened to that speech again. Hearing that would never have me guess that the same coach would maek the "one team" and "so proud" speeches.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
ISU football has turned numerous corners since 95. The challenge has been that our path has many corners.

Agree, but CPR has turned every corner. We will not win the BIg 12 anytime soon but we will not be a doormat anymore.

justcynn

Sep 28, 2009
Cabot, AR
Rhoads has his guys believing they can win every game they play in, no Iowa state coach I have witnessed (walden mccarney) accomplished that. Turning the corner would be continuing to win some of these big games and not laying an egg like they did vs tech. They are close, very close. Getting beat when playing your best game will happen against great teams. It's the consistency to play their best I am hoping for.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Interesting, if you watched the whole video the sports reporter says that Iowa State should hire a proven head coach, no more coordinators. Then we hired Rhoads, zero head coaching experience, lots of coordinator experience, more importantly a right fit for the culture.

He also suggests we talk to Turner Gill, I'm glad we didn't.

Thanks JP for hiring Rhoads, it should continue to prove to be one of the best decisions in Cyclone History!

Bamacyclone

Jan 7, 2012
SE
I'd be interested to see what everyone's vision for success with the football program really is. We've been avid supporters of ISU sports since the 70's. Seen a lot of relative highs and lows. The 'Corners' as I see them:

1. Corner A = Big 12, thus national championship contender (major bowl)
2. Corner B = 7-9 wins, solid program, decent bowl
3. Corner C = .500 club, make some bowl every other year
4. Corner D = Bottom feeder

Trying to be a realist here, I would be pleased with B. We're not there, but I believe most Cyclones would say they are optomistic we're on a path to being solid annually. I don't think it's realistic to think we'll get the volume to top recruits to compete for a national championship the way the system runs today; maybe only 10-15 schools really do.

I just don't want us to slip back to bottom feeder range. I find it has a very negative impact on my blood pressure to listen to ESPN and other geniuses use us as a butt of their jokes. If conference realignment chaos starts again, I don't want see us on everyone's MAC or Conf USA list.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
I would be overjoyed with continuous B. Note that B in the current conference world isn't near the same as one of Mac's teams winning 7 games.

IsUaClone2

May 12, 2006
Northville, MI
Rhoads has his guys believing they can win every game they play in, no Iowa state coach I have witnessed (walden mccarney) accomplished that. Turning the corner would be continuing to win some of these big games and not laying an egg like they did vs tech. They are close, very close. Getting beat when playing your best game will happen against great teams. It's the consistency to play their best I am hoping for.

Come back with me to the Johnny Majors years. A quarterback that played for both Stapleton and Majors told me that under Stapleton, if you were hurt, you were glad because that meant that you didn't have to play but could keep your scholarship. Under Majors, if you were hurt, you didn't want to come out of the game.

I think Majors, Macarney, and Rhoads have the similar motivation skills but Majors and Rhoads do a better job managing their coordinators and assistant coaches which makes their coaching styles much more effective.

Help Support Us

Become a patron