Whats your major in?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
What kind of job can you get with a degree in history? The only person I know that majored in history is now painting houses.

I work in business intelligence for a large corporation. Lots of research, anything with research you can do, it's also a great base degree for law school. Don't listen to these yahoos, you can do whatever you want if you are intelligent and have a good personality armed with a degree. Finding a job is more about who you are than what you know unless you are in to the super technical stuff like IT or Engineering.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
What kind of job can you get with a degree in history? The only person I know that majored in history is now painting houses.

Basically somebody with a history degree can teach, go to grad school, or go to law school. Outside of that it's not all that beneficial of a degree.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Basically somebody with a history degree can teach, go to grad school, or go to law school. Outside of that it's not all that beneficial of a degree.

Now I just gave a real life example and I don't/didn't do any of the things you say.

CycloneWarrior

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 10, 2008
Urbandale,Ia
I'm not sure it matters at this point. You'll most likely change your major along the way a time or two. I think there my be an "open option" degree. Btw, switching from business to journalism really screws up your graduation date...

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Your post was terrible.

I can give real world examples of people with lots of degrees who don't have jobs in those fields. That doesn't mean it's something that will be a legitimate opportunity for everyone. Chris Berman has a history degree and Bill Simmons has a political science degree, but that doesn't mean ESPN is looking for guys with those degrees.

sleestakCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 2, 2013
Yeah, pretty much any degree that allows you to better understand our history, social structures, and government; do a substantial amount of difficult writing; do critical policy analysis; etc is pretty much worthless.

Friends of mine with degrees in history (the hardest classes I have ever taken are upper division history courses), political science, comm studies, anthro, etc have jobs in advertising, marketing, IT, sales, policy analysis, non-profit development, and consulting.

While the job prospects for applied STEM fields like engineering, CS, agronomy, MIS, etc are strong; the job prospects for basic sciences like biology and chemistry (per PayScale research and other research), for those with only an undergrad biology and chem degrees are really no better than those for history, etc.

I would much rather graduate with a 3.5 gpa in History than a 2.70 in chem or biology.

I have an undergrad degree in social policy/urban studies and graduates degrees in public policy and MIS. For many people, what you end up doing career wise has little to do with undergraduate major.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I can give real world examples of people with lots of degrees who don't have jobs in those fields. That doesn't mean it's something that will be a legitimate opportunity for everyone. Chris Berman has a history degree and Bill Simmons has a political science degree, but that doesn't mean ESPN is looking for guys with those degrees.

Your assertion that a degree in history won't be very useful except to move on to grad school or combining it with teaching is pretty dubm. I'm not sure if the examples you provided along with my example is helping you back up your assertion.

RoseBowlBound

Sep 13, 2011
Iowa City via WDM
History Major here, if writing really long papers and essay tests out of blue books are your thing, then the History major could be for you.

The best part about the history degree? NO MATH CLASSES. I had to take one summer Stats 101 course at DMACC and that requirement was filled.
This sounds all too familiar. Blue Books can suck a fat one.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Your assertion that a degree in history won't be very useful except to move on to grad school or combining it with teaching is pretty dubm. I'm not sure if the examples you provided along with my example is helping you back up your assertion.

It's not necessarily that it won't be useful, but a lot of times it would be more useful to get another degree. Some companies don't care what the degree is in, but their will be more possibilities for jobs for somebody who has a business or finance degree opposed to a history degree.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I know several officers currently serving in the military who have history degrees.

"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it."
...Winston Churchill

:smile:

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
It's not necessarily that it won't be useful, but a lot of times it would be more useful to get another degree. Some companies don't care what the degree is in, but their will be more possibilities for jobs for somebody who has a business or finance degree opposed to a history degree.

There you go. Now you're doing it right.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I know several officers currently serving in the military who have history degrees.

"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it."
...Winston Churchill

:smile:

I don't think there's anything wrong with a history/any of the liberal arts degrees. In this case though, the OP doesn't know what he wants to do, so I think it makes more sense to first look into the fields that have a higher level of job placement/salary and see if any of those spark his interest. It's one thing to do something you love for less money than you would like - it's something completely different to be in a field that you don't get paid well for and don't have a passion for.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
A. Disagree with what? I asked a question.
B. Does Melvin have a job already? I have no doubt he will because he seems like an extremely bright person but I wonder if it will have anything to do with his degree. Unless of course it's teaching.

I was just being funny. I know Melvin is planning on getting a law degree after basketball for money is over.

Like anything, majors can be a means to an end or a tool. As another poster mentioned, it may not be to be a history teacher, but the ability to learn/process information (such as history) can be beneficial in many industries or graduate programs.

That's one thing many haven't mentioned, wish so many getting advanced degrees, sometimes it's good to get a degree in something that will serve either a graduate degree or supplement it. I have a friend who is a lawyer and he got his undergrad in Biology...he now works as a lawyer in a company that deals with biological issues.

Oh, you can do this as a history major, too. :)
aGWZI.jpg

BanjoCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2012
Started off undeclared engineering, declared as a mechanical engineer spring semester of my sophomore year. I knew I wanted to be an engineer just not which kind, the broad spectrum that I could fall into as a ME was what sealed the deal.

This. This was about exactly what i did, except I declared mechanical fall of my soph. year and then switched to Aero that spring. While Aero seems like it would be more "specialized" than ME, it really isn't. That said, I loved it. I now work in structural engineering for off-road equipment. An ME industry for sure, but my specific responsibilities are actually closer to my curriculum in Aero.

Reactions: ISUME

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron