What's up with Womochil?

creightonclone

Mar 3, 2008
According to the CR Gazette, Marv Cook interviewed for the CR Jeff job because Womo "left last month and is working as a volunteer coach at Iowa State."

This situation is getting increasingly weird. Womo isn't listed in the University directory, so his "volunteer" status is plausible. Jeff has been terrible over the past 5-7 years, so I'm sure he wanted to get out, but how badly? Would he really quit his teaching job to merely volunteer? There has to be more to this story...

Reactions: cyfanatic

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
If Paul pays him a red cent i will no longer contribute to the ISU football program. That being said, he won't be getting paid.

It's a bit of a mystery around here. Womo was basically told that next year he wouldn't be head coach at Jeff. They can't completely fire him for some reason but that must have been enough for him to walk. It's complicated and nobody really cares. He's a terrible head coach.

Reactions: cyfanatic

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I have been wondering the same. But there was a post on here earlier about this as well and no one really knows if he is in Ames or not. He has told his former players that he will be back to coach and teach in the fall. I am guessing he is trying to "save face" and using this "volunteer" status as a way to say he was looking at going to ISU to coach. The people around the CR community are laughing about this. Remember this is the heart of Hawkeye country so they use Womochil's embarrassing record and his position at ISU to take shots at our Cyclones. Anyway, I have heard so much gossip about that guy that I have no idea what is true?

creightonclone

Mar 3, 2008
If Paul pays him a red cent i will no longer contribute to the ISU football program. That being said, he won't be getting paid.

It's a bit of a mystery around here. Womo was basically told that next year he wouldn't be head coach at Jeff. They can't completely fire him for some reason but that must have been enough for him to walk. It's complicated and nobody really cares. He's a terrible head coach.

I don't think he's a terrible coach. He had some really, really good teams at Williamsburg. Nobody called him a terrible coach when he went undefeated at Jeff during the 2001 season. He's had extremely terrible teams at Jeff because they are really lacking talent. High school isn't college; high school coaches don't control who attends their school. I think the guy can coach and this just shows how desperately we wanted out of Jeff...

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I don't think he's a terrible coach. He had some really, really good teams at Williamsburg. Nobody called him a terrible coach when he went undefeated at Jeff during the 2001 season. He's had extremely terrible teams at Jeff because they are really lacking talent. High school isn't college; high school coaches don't control who attends their school. I think the guy can coach and this just shows how desperately we wanted out of Jeff...

He DID NOT go undefeated at Jefferson in 2001! Dave Jacobsen was the head coach of the 2000 team that went undefeated. Womochil came the following season and NEVER had a WINNING season!

I agree with you about high schools being different that colleges in that there is less control over many facets of a high school program. That said, the past few years Jefferson's football teams looked like the kids weren't coached at all! Living in Cedar Rapids and enjoying watching high school football, it was painful to watch Jefferson become the Waterloo East of football (sorry WE fans, not a shot at you)!

Jefferson's performances were embarrassing and tough to view. I would sit at Kingston and feel sorry for kids having to go through that experience.

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
Yeah, I was just going to say Jeff wasn't undefeated in 2001. They were 4-5, which is the best record they've had since then (also 4-5 in 2005 and 2008, I think, but 3-6 or worse ever other year).

The Jeff program is suffering from a lack of commitment and lack of turnout from the kids. Should Marv Cook become head coach, I think you'd see that change dramatically. It would be really good for high school football in Cedar Rapids and the MVC.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
The Jeff program is suffering from a lack of commitment and lack of turnout from the kids. Should Marv Cook become head coach, I think you'd see that change dramatically. It would be really good for high school football in Cedar Rapids and the MVC.

I do think there is some validity to that but also it does appear that Womochil and his leadership contributed to that situation.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006

They do lack talent but he made no effort to cultivate talent at the middle school level. Put in the work or die.

I know multiple people with kids in the program or kids who will be in the program. They are Jefferson diehards beyond measure.

It will be a hard job for anyone due to the numbers and the district.

Last edited:

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
It will be a hard job for anyone due to the numbers and the district.

I agree with this. As I mentioned earlier, the program has fallen to the depths that Waterloo East experienced. It will not be turned around overnight (like Linn-Mar experienced). Tough job and therefore I think Jefferson might have trouble convincing a top level HS coach to take the position.

Like Marv Cook or not, he benefits from being coaching at a small private school in a 4A city. That will not happen at Jefferson. Kids will not choose to go to Jefferson over the other schools in the area.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Speaking of that, what are the rules of being a "volunteer" coach? I know the number of coaches is limited by the NCAA so is the guy really allowed to coach much at all?

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I grew up with Jim he's a class act. Only spoken to him a couple of times at coaching clinics since I moved from Vinton in HS. I have a hard time believing Jim's lack of of success at Jeff came from lack of effort. He's the type of personality people gravitate towards. Getting out of a bad situation will do wonders for him and he'll be an asset to the program. Put your trust in CPR he got a good one here.

I heard he'll be helping with receivers.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I grew up with Jim he's a class act. Only spoken to him a couple of times at coaching clinics since I moved from Vinton in HS. I have a hard time believing Jim's lack of of success at Jeff came from lack of effort. He's the type of personality people gravitate towards. Getting out of a bad situation will do wonders for him and he'll be an asset to the program. Put your trust in CPR he got a good one here.

I heard he'll be helping with receivers.

Regardless, Womochil's Jefferson bosses are telling people that Womochil will be back at Jefferson teaching next fall and will have a spot on the football staff under a new HC. That is strange. Some current football players at Jefferson have told me this as well and they were told by Womochil himself.

Also it is known that Womochil is on a paid leave (medical?) from the school district so it does seem as though Womochil won't be in the college coaching ranks for long.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Regardless, Womochil's Jefferson bosses are telling people that Womochil will be back at Jefferson teaching next fall and will have a spot on the football staff under a new HC. That is strange. Some current football players at Jefferson have told me this as well and they were told by Womochil himself.

Also it is known that Womochil is on a paid leave (medical?) from the school district so it does seem as though Womochil won't be in the college coaching ranks for long.

Yes he has a job to return to but I'd be very suprised if he isn't looking.

CyFin

Feb 2, 2012
According to the CR Gazette, Marv Cook interviewed for the CR Jeff job because Womo "left last month and is working as a volunteer coach at Iowa State."

This situation is getting increasingly weird. Womo isn't listed in the University directory, so his "volunteer" status is plausible. Jeff has been terrible over the past 5-7 years, so I'm sure he wanted to get out, but how badly? Would he really quit his teaching job to merely volunteer? There has to be more to this story...

Well if you know womo you never know what you will get with him. At one point he was going to ND with Elliot. Ask him one week he is getting paid at ISU ask him another week he is coming back to coach at Jeff.

creightonclone

Mar 3, 2008
Yes he has a job to return to but I'd be very suprised if he isn't looking.

But this isn't college... high school coaching isn't a year round job (sans Lombardi at Wash). If Womo was going to coach Jeff in the fall, why would he quit in the winter? He's not doing much coaching in February at the high school level, right?

Also, I don't think he's on paid leave. He resigned.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
Well if you know womo you never know what you will get with him. At one point he was going to ND with Elliot. Ask him one week he is getting paid at ISU ask him another week he is coming back to coach at Jeff.

I was wondering when you were going to show up. You seem to be pretty invested in another man's life on here.

9 posts all about this Womochil guy.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
But this isn't college... high school coaching isn't a year round job (sans Lombardi at Wash). If Womo was going to coach Jeff in the fall, why would he quit in the winter? He's not doing much coaching in February at the high school level, right?

Also, I don't think he's on paid leave. He resigned.

Nope. He resigned his HC position but is on PAID leave for his teaching position. He told his players/former players that he will be back in the fall and on the football staff but will not be the HC.

This just goes to show how it is difficult to know what is really going on at Jefferson because that guy talks out of both ends. Lombardi has a good gig at Washington for sure huh?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron