What's the oldest piece of clothing you own?

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I have a SAGBRAI (RAGBRAI before it was RAGBRAI) shirt from 1974. Doesn't fit anymore, but I can't part with it.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Not me but my dad has a 60 year old tuxedo that still fits. He wore it when he pinned my nephew at Air Force graduation in May.

bugs4cy

Jun 7, 2009
Story County
I have a full length coyote fur coat that is quite old but in excellent shape. I can't wear it unless it is below 0 degrees. The furrier thinks it's from the 50's. I also have a mink cape that older and good shape.

I have my grandfathers hunting jacket from the 30's or 40's. He was a well-known trapper that made a decent living do that. I don't know what to do with it, and throwing it away seems so wrong, so it hangs in the closet.

It's not clothing, but my husband has the rosary and small saint statute his great grandfather carried in WWI. Next year my parents will celebrate their 65th wedding anniversary and my Mom can still fit in her wedding dress.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I have a full length coyote fur coat that is quite old but in excellent shape. I can't wear it unless it is below 0 degrees. The furrier thinks it's from the 50's. I also have a mink cape that older and good shape.

I have my grandfathers hunting jacket from the 30's or 40's. He was a well-known trapper that made a decent living do that. I don't know what to do with it, and throwing it away seems so wrong, so it hangs in the closet.

It's not clothing, but my husband has the rosary and small saint statute his great grandfather carried in WWI. Next year my parents will celebrate their 65th wedding anniversary and my Mom can still fit in her wedding dress.

I may need to borrow your mink cape this weekend. It's collection day from my working ladies and I need to represent.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
I still shovel snow in this one piece green work suit of my grandpa's, seems like something made specifically for farmers, probably 40-60 years old but still in great shape.

Are you talking about coveralls?

bugs4cy

Jun 7, 2009
Story County
I may need to borrow your mink cape this weekend. It's collection day from my working ladies and I need to represent.

Unfortunately it's shorter cape (like this) so it's not going to bolster your pimp-daddy image.

HOWEVER, the coyote coat looks like this, so that would probably be more your style.

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
I still have my freshman dorm floor t-shirt. I can't wear it because it is too ragged.

My wife gave me a M*A*S*H t-shirt the first year we were married. No way will that still fit.

In 1986, several of us were in Boston for training. Some guy came up and said, "Hey, because of Massachusetts laws, I can't give away beer, but I just started a brewery, and if you'll buy one of my beers, you can have a t-shirt. Which we did, and I still have it. It said, "I'm a revolting beer drinker" and had a picture of Samuel Adams. Who would have thought that company would grow the way it did?

colbycheese

Jun 11, 2010
Kansas
twitter.com
My oldest pieces of clothing are the blue FFA t-shirts I used in high school when showing pigs at the county fair, circa 2000-2004. Our ag adviser believed in good quality cotton shirts, so that's what we got. I've moved enough so that I've made more than a few runs to Good Will to get rid of old clothes that aren't worn anymore, but these shirts are the only "relics" I've kept.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
My oldest pieces of clothing are the blue FFA t-shirts I used in high school when showing pigs at the county fair, circa 2000-2004. Our ag adviser believed in good quality cotton shirts, so that's what we got. I've moved enough so that I've made more than a few runs to Good Will to get rid of old clothes that aren't worn anymore, but these shirts are the only "relics" I've kept.

But, were they cheap, high quality t-shirts?

Goothrey

May 5, 2009
Dayton via Austin
I have some high school t-shirts. My underwear is pretty old....might even rival those t-shirts.

[video=youtube;fQiqBZ00CbE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQiqBZ00CbE[/video]

Help Support Us

Become a patron