What's Brock Purdys record in 1 possession games?

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
He had a blocker and looked to be taking an outside angle to the sidelines. He gets around Noel and it looks like he could have scrambled for several more yards and gotten out of bounds. All taking the same amount of time as sliding would have killed.
And the announcers contribute to this. If he doesn't get stripped, he doesn't get tackled before getting out of bounds and they are gushing about what a heads up play it is and how he got a few more yards and stopped the clock for his team so they can huddle up and call the next couple of plays. The Clemson player makes a hell of a play and it is all "what the hell was he thinking?!?" Hindsight is 20/20.

It was the same announcer idiocy when ISU had to settle for a FG. They plan to run on third down since Clemson is sitting on the pass so they have a makeable fourth down. All the announcers can do is say "Campbell just conceded and played for the FG. You have to be more aggressive in a bowl game." Deciding on 3rd and 10 that you are going to try to pick up some of it so you have a makeable 4th down and can go for it is playing aggressive. It's like they remove part of your brain before they put you in the booth.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
And the announcers contribute to this. If he doesn't get stripped, he doesn't get tackled before getting out of bounds and they are gushing about what a heads up play it is and how he got a few more yards and stopped the clock for his team so they can huddle up and call the next couple of plays. The Clemson player makes a hell of a play and it is all "what the hell was he thinking?!?" Hindsight is 20/20.

It was the same announcer idiocy when ISU had to settle for a FG. They plan to run on third down since Clemson is sitting on the pass so they have a makeable fourth down. All the announcers can do is say "Campbell just conceded and played for the FG. You have to be more aggressive in a bowl game." Deciding on 3rd and 10 that you are going to try to pick up some of it so you have a makeable 4th down and can go for it is playing aggressive. It's like they remove part of your brain before they put you in the booth.
Many of these bowl announcers are old players that they are trying out to see if they can be decent. The one player talked about situations when he was a QB, then later showed him in an OU uniform and talked about played defensive line. They make a lot of stuff up.

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011

This works both ways. For instance last night, a lot of non-ISU people watching will think QB1 was trying to bat the ball down to prevent disaster.

A few ISU fans believe that was what happened as well because of the way the announcers framed it. Most saw/know different.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
This works both ways. For instance last night, a lot of non-ISU people watching will think QB1 was trying to bat the ball down to prevent disaster.

A few ISU fans believe that was what happened as well because of the way the announcers framed it. Most saw/know different.
What did happen? Would like your explanation of the situation.

Reactions: davegilbertson

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
ISU was incredibly fortunate to have Purdy. He was a model student athlete and had some incredible games.
Winning conference record each year. Would've loved to see ISU win a few more games each year, but really happy with where the program is right now. If ISU could do the last 4 years all over, I'd want Purdy running the offense.

Hopefully Dekkers can have a similar profile.

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016
And the announcers contribute to this. If he doesn't get stripped, he doesn't get tackled before getting out of bounds and they are gushing about what a heads up play it is and how he got a few more yards and stopped the clock for his team so they can huddle up and call the next couple of plays. The Clemson player makes a hell of a play and it is all "what the hell was he thinking?!?"

Exactly. Hero ball. Purdy. Resulted in turnover. Makes my point for me.

Could have made a smart safe play and a chance at future plays. Instead tried to be a hero, turned it over, and the game ended.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Exactly. Hero ball. Purdy. Resulted in turnover. Makes my point for me.

Could have made a smart safe play and a chance at future plays. Instead tried to be a hero, turned it over, and the game ended.
Inside the last minute you have to make some plays. Trying to get out of bounds to stop the clock isn't hero ball.

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
Inside the last minute you have to make some plays. Trying to get out of bounds to stop the clock isn't hero ball.
The difference in the game is the batted ball INT TD. The fumble on last possession was an unfortunate, but unsurprising last note.

Still gratitude and thankfulness tip the scale for me.

Last edited:

NENick

Feb 14, 2017
He batted the ball forward in an attempt to keep the play alive.

Thinking back, had that been successful would the flag have stood?

What?! It was a pass, not a fumble. You think he was trying to bat the ball to a teammate? Sorry, that's not what I saw. Maybe I'll watch it again.

My initial thought was why didn't he just let it hit the ground, but in the replay right after seemed like multiple defenders all around him, so he tried to knock it down. He swung and miss-hit, like a volleyball spike sailing way long. IMO

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
How many times throughout Purdy's career did we get the ball down a score or tied and think "okay this is it, his signature moment is coming" only for it to end in heartbreak? He's a great competitor but I think its a double-edged sword in the sense that it leads to a lot of mistakes. He just isn't the best at taking what he can get in crucial game situations (the wounded duck to end the B12 Championship, volleyball play and fumble last night). Some of that could very well be on coaching too.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan and SC Cy

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
What?! It was a pass, not a fumble. You think he was trying to bat the ball to a teammate? Sorry, that's not what I saw. Maybe I'll watch it again.

My initial thought was why didn't he just let it hit the ground, but in the replay right after seemed like multiple defenders all around him, so he tried to knock it down. He swung and miss-hit, like a volleyball spike sailing way long. IMO
I'm not sure what you mean by bringing up a fumble.

I would go as far to say, I don't just think it, I know it. I believe in Brock's athleticism enough that he knows how to bat a ball down/spike it so that it does not get intercepted.

Nothing about his action communicated that was his intent to me. It was clear his intent was what happened, not the result however.

The play was initially penalized for illegal batting. Which would've been ten yard from spot of foul and loss of down. My guess is that because it was tipped, and moreso because it did not benefit the offensive team, they picked the flag and let the result stand TD Clemson.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Very bizarre how people feel the need to choose sides on this. Was Brock put in bad spots by his coaches and a suspect OL? Or did he put himself in a lot of bad spots?

It can be both.

Below is the third tweet in that thread. People keep saying this, and I'm no NFL scout, but I'm just not seeing it.

Who is Austin Narber? And why is he calling Purdy "Beautiful Prince"? Yikes.

• Funny
Reactions: BigCyFan

Skidoosh

May 27, 2012
Man, people just don't want nuance anymore.

It is possible for Purdy to both be an historically amazing cyclone QB that has helped lead us to new heights while also not being a clutch player. Those are not mutually exclusive things.

• Winner
Reactions: BigCyFan

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Doesn't the clock stop on a slide/first down?

Either way ball security issues on the scramble were always an issue and that was no exception.

I would wager a lot of money that I will never again see a QB scramble for the first, attempt to extend the play when 4 yards beyond the line to gain, only to fumble and recover back behind the original LOS to turn it over.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Doesn't the clock stop on a slide/first down?

Either way ball security issues on the scramble were always an issue and that was no exception.

I would wager a lot of money that I will never again see a QB scramble for the first, attempt to extend the play when 4 yards beyond the line to gain, only to fumble and recover back behind the original LOS to turn it over.
It only stops long enough for them to set the ball so more time definitely runs off the clock.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron