What Would More Money Do?

Kyle

Mar 30, 2006
I've been trying to think about the ways that money can impact an athletic program and what would be different if we had about double the budget we had now (which I'm guessing would put us in the top half but not higher than 5th in the Big XII.

1. Facilities:
Looking at the majority of the money we will be spending on facilities in the next few years about 3/4 of it is actually going towards Hilton improvements. I didn't see a lot of problems with Hilton before, and I expect that it will be amazing with just some of the recent improvements we'll see this year. Add a brand new basketball practice facility and I would say our potential in that sport will be looking very good. The major football improvement is going to be bowling in the south end zone of JTS. I'm not sure if this is goiing to be enough to give us a facilities advantage when competing with the vast majority of the Big XII. Thus, don't count on facilities to spark any major turnarounds in the football program in the near future.

Aside from better facilities for recruiting purposes, the improvements should help provide more steady and predictable income to the department through additional suite revenues and higher ticket sales.

2. Coaches:
Schools with more money can afford to retain their good coaches and go after good coaches. We just lost our gymnastics coach to Oklahoma because they could offer more money. Any good football assistants we have tend to go elsewhere for more money. Our head coach salaries are usually dwarfed by the bigger Big XII programs and Iowa's, and from what I understand our assistant's pay is not good. More money would also likely allow the hiring of more assistants and trainers. The cost of buying out McCarney's contract would not be such an issue if we had more money either. (I predict we keep him precisely because of the buy out cost.)

3. Recruiting:
Coaches could take more recruiting trips (especially if we had more staff) if we had more money. More recruiting should be rather highly correlated with better recruits.

4. Programs:
I'm surprised I forgot it until way down here, but I really only need to say one word: baseball. Perhaps I forgot about it until down here as I am one of the majority of fans that primarily care about football and basketball.

I have a lot of faith that JP will wisely use what he has and make prudent moves to increase our revenue, but it might still be an interesting topic of discussion. What can we do to increase revenue? What is the size and monetary standing of our fan base relative to other schools? Does it make financial sense to pay coaches more or go after higher priced coaches? Should bigger money programs support the smaller ones? Any other ways money can help or issues?

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Some good points and observations.

With #1, keep in mind part of the basketball renovations also includes making the Jacobson Building 100% football and renovating it to do so.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
1) Bowling gives ISU more of a college feel. A lot of Texas high School stadiums are similar to what we have. Along with bowling comes fan support and atmosphere. Atmosphere has been great the last few games and you have seen the reaction in recruits. Unfortunately, the fan support drops later in season when weather gets colder, or other reasons and this is when a majority of recruits visit. Student centers/educational centers are also big and most schools dwarfus there.
2) THIS IS HUGE!!! WE seem to go through OC's quite a bit. Whether it is pay or they move on. There is no continuity. Different OC's have different philosophies even in the same systewm. They want different players, etc. Barney is also the OL coach and the OC. It would be nice to see these positions spilt up. Recruiting coordianbtor position... etc.
3) Again, one people don't think about it. How much do we spend to go to florida and Texas vs Texas schools or even Iowa who had Big 10 territory two hours away. We are further removed from our recruiting territory than any of our cmpetitors save Nebraska.
4)More programs cost more money and really don't bring in more revenue.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
We do go through a lot of offensive coordinators, but we did fire the last one.

Covenant Clone

Aug 30, 2006
Clive
Great post Kyle. College athletics now more than ever is a business and a big business at that. It is just like a company, the bigger the company, the more money they have to do things for their employees and the more than can do to make the company stronger (having the ability to hire and pay for better up management (assistant coaches), upgrading facilities (Hilton and JT and expanding product offerings (more programs). JP is essentially the CEO of a very large company and he has to make decisions that are in the best interest of company as a whole. I think we have the right guy in place for the job though.

Kyle

Mar 30, 2006
With #1, keep in mind part of the basketball renovations also includes making the Jacobson Building 100% football and renovating it to do so.
Good point. I hadn't considered that possible benefit to the football program.
tazgolfv said:
Atmosphere has been great the last few games and you have seen the reaction in recruits.
Another good point. Even if the facility itself is not impressive enough to give us the edge over other Big XII schools it may help to create a gameday atmosphere that impresses recruits. It will of course require some rabid fans though.

cyclonedrew

Apr 11, 2006
What can we do with more money.. ALOT

Think about it. If you have more money in your own pocket you can do alot more with it. Same with football and basketball.

We could hire Rush Probst away from Hoover High for our offensive coordinator.

Help Support Us

Become a patron